GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a runflat Car Tire for my rear wheel, 2018 goldwing. The stock OEM tire size is 200/55R16M/C 77H. I can find 195/55/16 and 205/55/16 runflat tires on-line (tire rack, and discount tire). But no 200/55/16 runflats.

My criteria:
  1. runflat
  2. minimal speedometer error (speedo on 2018 with OEM 200/55/16 is spot on)
  3. roundest profile / easiest turning effort
  4. can inflate to at least 36 psi (I think the TPMS starts flashing at 36 or below)
  5. I am not concerned with estimated longevity (mileage).

I have read many posts in this subforum, and from what I have read I am considering a 195/55/16 Pirelli Snow Control tire.

Has anyone tried the Pirelli Snow Control on a 2018 wing yet? If so, how do you like it?
In your opinion is there a better choice than the Pirelli Snow Control for the 2018 wing?

Any guidance (based on actual experience) would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Ed Bard

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I am using the BStone Driveguard 200 55/16. Loving it so far! I have also heard great comments on the Pirelli SC Runflat as well! I run my tire at 34 psi. The light will flash for about 10 min only. Any RF tire you choose is all about safety & performance! Every new Goldwing should have a RF installed . . . it’s a no brainer, really? :yes:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the BStone Driveguard 200 55/16. Loving it so far! I have also heard great comments on the Pirelli SC Runflat as well! I run my tire at 34 psi. The light will flash for about 10 min only. Any RF tire you choose is all about safety & performance! Every new Goldwing should have a RF installed . . . it’s a no brainer, really? :yes:
Thanks for the info! Did you mean 205 55/16, I cannot find a BStone Driveguard 200 55/16
Also - how does you bike take corners/curves compared to the stock MC tire?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yes, 205 . . . Gary, let me say this . . . a RF car tire (like my original Kumo, my Michelin Alpin, & now my Driveguard) does not slip on tar snakes, on gravel, on wet, painted yellow lines, anything! In fact, I have deliberately tried to make this tire spin out, and I can’t! Look at the tread on these tires? Now look at the tread on a MC tire. See any? No? That’s because a motorcycle tire is basically a bald tire with some siping added to it! Plus, when you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, with ‘no cel phone service available’ no one is going to help you? How can they? I can drive another 100+ km with a dead flat tire to safety! As far as cornering, I lean that Goldwing over ‘till my knees are scraping without a worry that it will slip out from under me! Try a RF Gary . . . I doubt you will ever go back to a bald MC tire! Good luck! :grin2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, 205 . . . Gary, let me say this . . . a RF car tire (like my original Kumo, my Michelin Alpin, & now my Driveguard) does not slip on tar snakes, on gravel, on wet, painted yellow lines, anything! In fact, I have deliberately tried to make this tire spin out, and I can’t! Look at the tread on these tires? Now look at the tread on a MC tire. See any? No? That’s because a motorcycle tire is basically a bald tire with some siping added to it! Plus, when you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, with ‘no cel phone service available’ no one is going to help you? How can they? I can drive another 100+ km with a dead flat tire to safety! As far as cornering, I lean that Goldwing over ‘till my knees are scraping without a worry that it will slip out from under me! Try a RF Gary . . . I doubt you will ever go back to a bald MC tire! Good luck! :grin2:
Thanks again! I am definitely getting a runflat. Just deciding which one. Had runflats on a Corvette few years back, loved the safety and convenience factor. Have had too many flats on MC tires, major pain in the butt!

Are there any runflats available for front tire for the 2018 wing?

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Thanks again! I am definitely getting a runflat. Just deciding which one. Had runflats on a Corvette few years back, loved the safety and convenience factor. Have had too many flats on MC tires, major pain in the butt!

Are there any runflats available for front tire for the 2018 wing?

Havent heard of any. If you are getting a flat tire, 99.9% of the time its the rear.:smile2:.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'm also running the Drivegard 205/55/RF16 91V Very good performing tire!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Randy is right! It is actually the front tire that sets up the nail or screw laying on the pavement to be run over & pierce the rear tire! A tip to prevent this from happening is to attach a small strip of rock guard material underneath the bike. You see these underneath RV’s to protect their tow vehicle from getting damaged from flying rocks & debris! You should never get another rear flat, again! :grin2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your inputs !!!!

Made a decision - just ordered a Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol Serie 3 195/55R16 87H Tire. Looking forward to getting it mounted on my 2018 wing. Will still carry my plug kit and compressor but having the rear runflat certainly will give me peace of mind when riding out in the boonies!

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha,

I've been following this post and still have questions.
Question for those with 2018+ Goldwings that have gone DARK......
I too am shopping for the right run flat car tire.
Whether to go 205 55/16 Bridgestone DriveGuard or 195 55/16 BS DriveGuard of Pirelli Snow Control, but have questions like:
Speedometer affected?
Revolutions per mile? (connected to above question)
Handling as far as twisties or S turns? "
Any advice or information from anyone is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Made a decision - just ordered a Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol Serie 3 195/55R16 87H Tire. Looking forward to getting it mounted on my 2018 wing. Will still carry my plug kit and compressor but having the rear runflat certainly will give me peace of mind when riding out in the boonies!
I've also been following this thread with many of the same questions as you have posted. When you get your new snow control installed, please post a pic or two of how it looks on the 18, especially compared to the stock rear tire. Maybe the two of them side by side before you put it back on?

I ran a 195/55 Yoko Avid RF on my 2012 and loved it but I'm not sure I want to go to a 205 width on my 2018; plus Yoko doesn't make the Avid RF in that size. I tend to ride more aggressively than most, but not so much as to grind hard parts off so I'm looking for similar performance characteristics vs longevity. Thanks!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Aloha,

I've been following this post and still have questions.
Question for those with 2018+ Goldwings that have gone DARK......
I too am shopping for the right run flat car tire.
Whether to go 205 55/16 Bridgestone DriveGuard or 195 55/16 BS DriveGuard of Pirelli Snow Control, but have questions like:
Speedometer affected?
Revolutions per mile? (connected to above question)
Handling as far as twisties or S turns? "
Any advice or information from anyone is appreciated.
I'm running the Driveguard 205 55/16, and have checked it with the GPS and it's within .5 mph at 70 mph.
The handling is great. This is my first Driveguard and I think it's the best runflat that I've had.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Gary can you post a couple of pics of your new SC? Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: 1096dad

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Who did the mounting? Wheel on or off the bike?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts