GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to go high-tech and bluetooth the 2008 GW. Have been reading, and watching youtube clips. I do not care much for programmed music, but like to use the bike's radio to listen to whatever is on the local stations while riding through. For that purpose, I am perfectly content with listening through the GW's speakers. However, I would like to hear through helmet speakers: the GPS, weather warnings, intercom with passenger/other riders, and answer/make phone calls. Don't need ultra high quality sound, long as I can easily comprehend what I am hearing.

For the above, I am thinking the SENA SMH10D-10 would be a good fit. But would like to hear from the wisdom of those here who have trodden this path already. Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions or comments.

Thanks Much

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The SMH-10's work just fine for my needs, including 2-way CB communication, but parts (helmet bases) that work with Sierra Electronic's bike connector are NLA from Sena, although you can get them with some eBay surfing, and I find they work much better than the newer (and much more expensive) 2-way options. IMHO and YMMV.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have the 20s and it works great for our communication needs. I have the sm10 on my bike to listen to bike infotainment but can not talk back through CB which works for me.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Buy a regular corded headset and it will do everything you have listed much cheaper and trouble free, no batteries to charge.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use the 10S and a Freewire, works like a champ on my 02 with a CB. I fed sat radio and GPS audio plus a scanner and rear detector audio into a MixIt (audio mixer) connected to the bike's audio input. I can't talk to the GPS but that's the only shortfall and that's my GPS design itself. Speakers with the 10S are better than it's predecessor, as the 20 and 30s are incrementally better than the 10S.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have had several versions of Sena and like the 10R best because of the FM radio feature. The 10S is good if you don't need the radio. I can listen to and control Pandora, take and make phone calls, and intercom all hands free.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not sure about 10S FM reception compared to the 10R, I rarely use the FM function on my 10S but in town it seemed fine although I prefer my sat radio.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a problem with the Sena is the design of my G-MAX helmet; the sunscreen lever is mounted on the helmet, directly over my left ear. That is the exact same location the Sena needs to be mounted at.

I love the sun screen feature, and not willing to give it up. Is it possible to mount the Sena further back? Looks like a problem with that may be that the mic boom would then be too far away from my mouth.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think I'd head to a good cycle shop and actually get hands on with a BT headset and investigate any interference with your helmet function. There is some tolerances on where you mount the device as the speakers are on wires. There boom can be bent to where ever works for you. Mine also has a mic for full face helmets, although I use modular scorpion helmets. When I my modular's com bar I just took the money in a little bit. I've had no interference with my sunshield lever.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've have a SMH5-FM on a 3/4, the 20S on the modular, and my wife runs the SMH10. There are new Sena models I have no experience with. I recommend the 20 series. Each successive model improved on previous ones, compared to the 5 and 10 the 20 overlays incoming calls and intercom seamlessly over music and the audio is better.

As far as the boom mic goes, the 20S kit includes two boom mikes. One is integral to the base unit and yes, might be set back too far on your helmet to get the mic to your lips. The other mounts to the inside of the helmet via a hook & loop square wherever you place it. A tiny wire runs to and plugs into the base. This setup gives great latitude to where you end up with the mic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The SMH-10's work just fine for my needs, including 2-way CB communication, but parts (helmet bases) that work with Sierra Electronic's bike connector are NLA from Sena, although you can get them with some eBay surfing, and I find they work much better than the newer (and much more expensive) 2-way options. IMHO and YMMV.

Can you explain how your smh 10 works with 2 way cb. I can stream my phone music and talk on he phone easy enough but understand I need a freewire and 10s to work with CB ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased the Shoei NeoTec II with the Sena SLR integrated comm system. Works amazingly.

Reactions: vern96 and JoeHall

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Can you explain how your smh 10 works with 2 way cb. I can stream my phone music and talk on he phone easy enough but understand I need a freewire and 10s to work with CB ? Thanks.
Happy to, with the caveat that some of these parts are no longer available (NLA), but there are plans you can use to make them yourself if you have the inclination.

I have an SMH-10 on my helmet, and since my wife doesn't ride with me I took her SMH-10 and put it in the left cubby. It connects to a particular (but standard) Sena helmet base (which I believe is NLA), and that helmet base is connected into the bike's audio system with a small harness from Sierra Electronics.

It works great, and I don't understand why these things aren't flying off the shelves. All I can figure is people want a single box like the Freewire, but those things don't work as straightforward as they say on the box from what I read?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Even the lowly SMH-5 will do all that Joe asks. I've had them for about six years. I listen to FM/MP3 through the speakers, also. Wife and I talk through the intercom feature, and I receive/make calls (even with my old Windows Phone) on it. Just learning how to integrate it with the new Zumo 396. Free software updates come out several times a year for Senas (it seems everyone is learning new tricks for Bluetooth), and they have a free program to load them to your units. Battery replacement remains the issue, but Sena reps @ WingDing claimed there would be a send-in battery replacement program coming in the next year or so.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Buy a regular corded headset and it will do everything you have listed much cheaper and trouble free, no batteries to charge.
Except Bt connection to the phone that is in you pocket...

We first bought Bt headsets for bike to bike when riding 1832's.

I listened to music using bike speakers - either radio or usb recording.
Used headset for bike to bike and for an android phone that was usually in pocket so it was handy for quick photos when stopped.

We have Cardo G9x models. (model replaced the G9 model, and has since been replaced by something else)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Happy to, with the caveat that some of these parts are no longer available (NLA), but there are plans you can use to make them yourself if you have the inclination.

I have an SMH-10 on my helmet, and since my wife doesn't ride with me I took her SMH-10 and put it in the left cubby. It connects to a particular (but standard) Sena helmet base (which I believe is NLA), and that helmet base is connected into the bike's audio system with a small harness from Sierra Electronics.

It works great, and I don't understand why these things aren't flying off the shelves. All I can figure is people want a single box like the Freewire, but those things don't work as straightforward as they say on the box from what I read?

So if I understand this correctly you plug another smh10 into Goldwing 5pin din connector then pair the 2 smh 10’s and you can use CB, listen to GW audio and or Bluetooth telephone?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Except Bt connection to the phone that is in you pocket...

We first bought Bt headsets for bike to bike when riding 1832's.

I listened to music using bike speakers - either radio or usb recording.
Used headset for bike to bike and for an android phone that was usually in pocket so it was handy for quick photos when stopped.

We have Cardo G9x models. (model replaced the G9 model, and has since been replaced by something else)
Oops sorry I originally missed the part about Joe wanting to make and receive phone calls while riding.
With all the crap I see everyday with cellphones and all the news reports about accidents caused by cellphone use while driving I highly recommend not having that capability while riding.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Oops sorry I originally missed the part about Joe wanting to make and receive phone calls while riding.
With all the crap I see everyday with cellphones and all the news reports about accidents caused by cellphone use while driving I highly recommend not having that capability while riding.
'Here', the law says you must be hands-free. So talk is ok if it doesn't require holding the device. voice controlled, but texting or holding a phone to dial is not.

Certainly less 'distracting' if voice operated and no need to look at screen or handle device.

And of course, some will want to use the phone to stream audio music or books.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So if I understand this correctly you plug another smh10 into Goldwing 5pin din connector then pair the 2 smh 10’s and you can use CB, listen to GW audio and or Bluetooth telephone?
That is correct.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts