GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which side do you mount a Goldwing 1800 bike from?(no trikes please) Left or Right

• Left Side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right Side

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which side do you mount your Goldwing 1800 from?
Left or right?(No trikes please)

I mount from the left side and have never seen anyone mount from the right higher side(it is higher with the side stand down) and find it odd. Very very odd.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to get a good running start and then do it leap-frog style over the trunk! Now and then, the radio antenna got in the way, but that's okay.

It's a bit more difficult now that I've added the Utopia backrest. Might just start coming in from the front doing a flip with 1/2 twist. Just need to remember to keep my windshield at its lower settings.

These moves have gotten progressively more difficult now that I'm 50. Please don't ask me to demonstrate.

(I guess what I'm saying here is this has got to be one of the most silly polls I've ever seen posted. Get on your bike the way you want to get on your bike and don't worry about others. JMHO.)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
When I park on the street I back to the curb at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible so getting off the left side is virtually the same to passing traffic as getting off the right side so far as safety goes. Honestly, I've never even considered getting on or off on the right side, though I can't really say there'd be anything 'wrong' with doing so. I've even seen a couple guys do it on smaller, lower bikes. Of course, I remember that only because it looked odd to me. If I decide to try it, I think I'll start on my VTX1800 Retro and work my way up (literally) to the Wing.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Neither one, I like to to take a run at her then in one fluid motion leapfrog over the trunk and settle into the cockpit. :p And then I wake up go out and mount my bike from the left side as always!!

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Notsluggo said:
I used to get a good running start and then do it leap-frog style over the trunk! Now and then, the radio antenna got in the way, but that's okay.

It's a bit more difficult now that I've added the Utopia backrest. Might just start coming in from the front doing a flip with 1/2 twist. Just need to remember to keep my windshield at its lower settings.

These moves have gotten progressively more difficult now that I'm 50. Please don't ask me to demonstrate.

(I guess what I'm saying here is this has got to be one of the most silly polls I've ever seen posted. Get on your bike the way you want to get on your bike and don't worry about others. JMHO.)
No more silly than your comments about doing backflips.HUH!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If I park so I have to get on the right side, I pet the bike first so it won't kick me.

I am surprised that anyone gets on the right side withought the bike kicking them right in the groin.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tom,LOL
been kicked by a couple of horses & a mule once. well not really kicked,just stepped on. NEVER kicked by a motorcycle. :shock:
I usually mount a motorcycle from the right side or hi side if it's on the kickstand, left side on the center stand. Dunno why.
the hobo

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I was taught to ride by the CHP. They used to (don't know if they still do) always mount from the right side, so if getting off the bike in a hurry and it drops (stand not down fully), they won't get caught under it. I just always have mounted since then from the right.

But that's why I gave up Rio and now ride the Silver Wing. It got too difficult for me to get my leg up and over the seat with the backrest in place. It just seemed easier in the long run to get something I didn't have to worry getting a leg over. Works for me, anyway.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Would a double back flip qualify as a left or right side mount?
Yes. :lol:

Back when I had my first motorcycle ('92 Nighthawk 750), I was riding with a friend and when we went to get on the bikes I got on from the right side (I don't remember why). He got this shocked look on his face and questioned me as to why I would do such a thing. Didn't I know, he said, that you're supposed to get on a bike like you get on a horse, from the LEFT SIDE! It's TRADITIONAL!

I looked at him and said, "The last time I looked, even a horse has two sides."

My Goldwing doesn't give a damn which side I get on or off. Why should anyone else?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Notsluggo said:
... (I guess what I'm saying here is this has got to be one of the most silly polls I've ever seen posted. Get on your bike the way you want to get on your bike and don't worry about others. JMHO.)

Of course I mount it from the right side... why would anyone want to mount it from the wrong side? :roll:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Being ambidextrous, I mount from either side depending on the situation - where I'm parked, etc. Don't see this choice, therefore, no selection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mount from left side

If you mount from right side do not stand on rider peg and try to swing your leg over. Tried that once with it on the side stand and tipped the bike over on the right side. :oops:
Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I like to mount like a cowboy in a hurry, come running up to the rear of the bike, put both hands on the trunk, then leap over and land in the saddle. Oops, forgot I left my helmet there! I hate it when I do that.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Tradition has one mounting from the left side, this was done mainly to avoid the hot pipes on the right side..dismounting also, same reason..

Now with the wing, no hot pipes to worry about, so I don't think it matters. :?

I mount my trike from the right side ( yeah I know, no trikes) just a natural way for me, but really, does it matter???? Naw.. :lol:

Harley riders still mount from the right side...pipes on ankels...HOT :shock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.