GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get a spare set of pads, and need to get the correct ones.

Thanks!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
the left front pad set is part number: 06455-MCA-016
and the right front pad set is part number: 06456-MCA-016

the front brake operates both sides
... the rear brake operates 1 piston of the left side (I think)
so it wears a little sooner.

ooppss... I see alabamawing already answered your question ..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and that creates the problem, like you, I saw two different part numbers depending on the side. Why would Honda do that?

So it would appear that the front lever will apply more force to the right front caliper.

I'm more of a front braker than a rear braker, and I tend to wear out the front brake (right lever) first.

Still is confusing as to why honda has two different part numbers.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I think...
because one side of the pads has a steel plate with holes to dissapate
the heat ... it goes against the pistons
... so that would make the pad set "left sided" or "right sided".

If the left side is getting thin, the right side can't be far behind.
I always change them both and the bike feels so much better.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm more of a front braker than a rear braker, and I tend to wear out the front brake (right lever) first.
That's fine, as long as you understand that, to stop as fast as possible, you need to use both equally.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct sir! :thumbup: In a panic stop ( I try to avoid those ) I definately stand on the rear pedal too! But for normal easy stopping, I'm more of a front braker.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
my best friend is like you he keeps his feet on the highway boards a lot because he is 6' 7" and uses just the front to slow down wearing the fronts a lot faster I personally think it's a bad habit that could get you into trouble in a panic you may do what is habit and grab that front to hard, I always just use the rear mostly grabing the front slightlyto stop, just a thought you might want to break a bad habit.
grab that front hard on loose gravel due to habit you could be laying down:cry:

not telling ya how to ride just some thoughts= I've seen how important habits are driving 3 million liles for a living.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since I would never tell anyone how to ride, I am expressing my humble opinion only. Based on 40 years of riding, I agree with upssnowman. It is a bad habit to get into using your front brake exclusively. In fact, only your back brake should be used at parking lot speeds or when you're pulling up to a stop sign because your front wheel is more apt to not be pointing straight at all times at slow speeds and using your front brake will cause you to go down.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Daveo I see you ride safe

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand (sit?) corrected! Thank you for all your good riding advice. In a panic situation, you tend to do what you trained to do out of habit. I'll starting using my rear pedal more. :agree:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will put this out there for what it is worth. As a Road Guard for the RFTW ride I have found that braking with both front and back brakes will haul the Wind down from 100+ :eek:4:to 0 fairly quickly. Using just the front brake does not work near as well. Also, the front brake only can cause front end slide in a braking turn or if there is light gravel on the road like in an intersection.

If anyone is riding hard, the only way to brake as far as my opinion goes is to use all the brakes you have available to you at all times. I don't ride hard all the time but if one is ever in the position to reduce speed quickly, use all the brakes you can and let the anti-skid figure it out, it works well...I know that from using it a few times too.:eek:

No flames needed here, just the way a Road Guard has to ride from time-to-time.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I I don't ride hard all the time but if one is ever in the position to reduce speed quickly, use all the brakes you can and let the anti-skid figure it out, it works well...I know that from using it a few times too.:eek:
Have you engaged ABS while banked over?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts