GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be traveling by ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Even though the ferry is large there will probably be rough water. In my car while making the same crossing I have seen the vehicle deck moving up and down slowly about 15 inches.

My ride for this crossing will be a 2010 Wing.

My question is for rough water is it better to use the kick stand or the center stand during the crossing?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are two methods that you might use. First, use the side stand, leave it in gear and use a cord to tie and press the front brake handle so it won't move. Second, use the center stand, use a strap to tie the center stand to the front crash bars and also tie the front brake handle. When you use the side stand do not leave the bike. Stand on the right side of the bike when it gets rough. Good luck and have a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Puzzle Man...You need tie downs...I have crossed Lake Michigan in calm waters and have seen bikes tip over...use the side stand and tie the front forks (around upper fork brace at top of forks) snug on the left side lightly and then tighen down the right side until the bike stands up...I would also throw a strap on the mid section...I don't recommend tieing down the bike using the crash bars....they were not designed for that and will bend....

Have Fun...I leave Thursday morning for Canada.....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Side stand plus two tires provide three more stable points than the center stand and front tire. My bike didn't fall but a friends did during the '89 quake. His was on the center stand and mine was on the side stand. I believe you also tie down the bike so bring soft loop tie down straps http://tinyurl.com/3gynopd and possibly normal tie down straps but I've heard the ferries provide those.

Tie down with the loops up and around the lower triple clamps of the forks not the handlebars.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Just crossed Georgian Bay(Lake Huron) via ferry a few days ago on a fairly calm day. I would never use the center stand(to prone to slide around) About a dozen bikes crossed with me(did not know any of them)All bikes were on the side stand, in gear and required to be tied down at two points(one on each side) by the ferry operators(tie downs were provided, but you are better off bringing your own with soft ties.)

We were not allowed to remain in the cargo area during transport. All bikes fared just fine with no incident. Good luck and have fun.

Fred

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
You are on a washington state ferry. You do not use tie downs period. You don't have time.Most runs are less than 45 min, and your not on open water.Plus there is no place to tie down. Ride the bike on the boat, put the bike on the side stand, with it in gear, thats all. When coming into dock I am always beside the bike to help stable it

·
Registered
686 Posts
I will be traveling by ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Even though the ferry is large there will probably be rough water. In my car while making the same crossing I have seen the vehicle deck moving up and down slowly about 15 inches.

My question is for rough water is it better to use the kick stand or the center stand during the crossing?

Thanks,

Bill
Of the two? I always use the kickstand when travelling on WSF. As mentioned above, the spread 'triangle' formed by the KS and the two contact patches is more stable than the shallow (left-to-right) rhombus-shaped support provided by using the centerstand... and the c.g. is closer to the deck (less prone to tip).

You are on a washington state ferry. You do not use tie downs period. You don't have time.Most runs are less than 45 min, and your not on open water.Plus there is no place to tie down. Ride the bike on the boat, put the bike on the side stand, with it in gear, thats all. When coming into dock I am always beside the bike to help stable it
Good points, although (being picky) it won't be WSF and it'll be about 90 minutes -- it will be the Black Ball or BC Ferries -- if the OP is correct in "crossing 'the Strait'", itself.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Been on over a dozen ferry's most of them on the open ocean and 2 of them a 2 hour trip. Sise stand in first gear. One time a boat person placed a chock on the rear of the back tire.

I think that most of the time the bike been fully loaded and that helps.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
You are taking about the Coho Older ferry
Not part of the Wa state ferry system Its owned by Black Ball Ferries
I was on it last year still the same old worn out rattle can
Side stand in gear is the way to go
there are wheel chocks ,,, get a large one or 2 small and shove under right side
Most large ferries including this one no longer allow you to stay with your vehicle during the crossing
Don't worry about the crossing. This time of year its very rare to have a rough crossing

http://www.cohoferry.com/main/

( I've sailed that area many times!!)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
A few years ago I rode the "Cat" ferry to NS and the ferry crew had me use the side stand, leave it in gear and use a cord to tie and press the front brake handle so it won't move, and the only strap used was one placed across the seat hooked into deck on both side of the bike, I didn't think this would work, but when we got to NS the bike just as I had left it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Side stand, 1st gear and a bungee on the front brake. I have made this crossing at least a dozen times with no problems in all types of weather.

Enjoy the trip !!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Side stand, 1st gear and a bungee on the front brake. I have made this crossing at least a dozen times with no problems in all types of weather.

Enjoy the trip !!!!
Agree; From last year (BTW - keep velcro strap on the bikes to hold the brake)

This is Black Ball ferry from Port Angeles to CB; note the straps on the wall, loosely tided to the two (2) bike to ensure no tip over, not a problem

Also video

·
Registered
158 Posts
Road two ferrys while I was touring in WA on my wing...no tie downs, just used side stand...and all was well.

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks,

Bill
Rode it once and several times on the ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island. Always used the side stand and the ferry supplied wooden chocks to slide on the other sid eof the side stand to hold it firm in any wave action. No problem and the ferry staff are more than willing to help if you are new or having problems. Have a good trip. Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts

Thanks,

Bill
I was just in your neighborhood on 203 the other day.

I live on Whidbey and sidestand across the ferry all the time. It rocks a bit, true, but it's gentle and not a big deal.

I also stay with my bike on the crossing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Side stand and Progressive insurance......

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Depends on whether he is on his front or his back! ;-]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts