GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texelent sells two texelent bars (one for $130, the other for $150). It appears the only difference is the addition of two spacers and two bolts. Can someone tell me what the real difference is between the two - when would you need one over the other. I just bought a Garmin 2820 GPS and am thinking of using this mount.

Then there is the Kennedy wiring mess to figure out..... do I need all those cables - solution Ib - 9 items. I want to listen to my Ipod with the aux connection as well.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Stangro

You are right about the plus. It has two extra bolts and two spacers 20 mm long and 19 mm diameter with an 8 mm hole through them.

The ring clamps that attache the Texelent shaped mount bar to the mount posts, can be mounted forward of back, top or bottom, giving you four locations for the mount bar. However, the lower and forward choice can only be made with the spacers added because of the wiring dropping out of the left switch tower.

The spacers drop on the lower, or raise on the upper, the location of the mount bar. On the lower mount location, care has to be given that attachments to the bar do not drag on the radio knobs.

There are other new items.

Instead of round mount posts, there are now rectangular mount posts available in the "C" version which means combination mount posts. These mount posts have an additional pair of threaded holes beside the recessed holes were the bolts and spacers are inserted to thread into the clutch and front brake reservoir castings that clamp to the handlebars.

When you use the round posts to mount the bar, you obviously use the holes in the Honda part that were there originally to clamp the clutch and brake systems to the handlebar. There are some accessories that people have that also use these same holes. The Texelent Two Hole Clamp was designed to provide replacement holes for remounting what ever was displaced by the Texelent bar using those two holes on each side.

Now with the rectangular mount posts (C) there are two 6mm threaded holes at 32 mm spacing so that the displaced items can be remounted in these holes, only a half inch or so away from the original location.

The Two Hole Clamp is still available and can be used as before. Actually, all Texelent clamps use the same 32 mm centers of the 6mm threaded holes and can be used as the Two Hole Clamps are, but not as efficiently, because they have appendages and because they cost more.

Another new item is the 8 hole clamp. It has the same 38 mm by 30 mm hole pattern that the Six Hole Clamp has, but has two sets, each 90 degrees from the other for those items that have the hole pattern rotated 90 degrees. The 38 by 30 mm spacing was adopted by several electronic manufacturers for automotive items, such as Nokia, Garmin, etc. Now some items have rotated the hole pattern to the right or left.

RAM adopted a two hole, 48 mm spacing for their systems and so the TRAD and DRAD Texelent mounts have those centers for adapting to RAM or RAM Compatible items such as some Touratech items.

Hope this helps, more than it confuses.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have the $130 model and you can mount it high or low. It works fine, I have a Garmin 2820 mounted and another ram mount set up for my MP3 player and I am going to add a 3d Ram mount platform to mount a multi port power adapter.

Beside working great for that it also stiffens out the front of the bike , a major side benefit

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older post, yet I'm trying to find out how to get my hands on a texelent bar and I have tried Tom's email ( both personal and business) that I got off of fred Harmon website.
Anyone out there who can help?

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the Texelent Bar isn't being manufactured anymore as Tom Finch passed away 4 months ago 😢 😢 and this forum lost a true gentleman and all around great guy. Maybe one of the Texas members can give you more info as a couple of forum members were looking to buy a used Texelent Bar recently.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I posted on the wanted or WTB Classifieds thread and got a couple options from other members. I did take possession of one a member was willing to part with, I still owe him a picture of it mounted to the bike with my devices attached to bar. I will post the pictures on the WTB Classified post either today or tomorrow as i have finally received my ram mounts. Go to this post https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/texelent-accessory-bar.460577/#post-5724161 and PM the other members that mentioned that may have one. Good luck with finding one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts