GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a plug kit to carry on bike in case of on the road flat? I always check tire pressure and condition but you never know when you will pick up a nail.
Thanks

G

·
Go to a BMW outlet and they have a nice small kit I think that comes with there bikes. think the plug is one of the best mushroom style.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bought mine at Wal Mart............bout $6 for the plug kit and $10 for the compressor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'll second the Walmart gummie worms. Cheap and made to do a permanent repair.

The mushrrom style plugs [including the Stop N' Go] are only intended for emergencies and rated for 100 miles.

And NO I don't want to enter a debate on whether a plugged tire should be replaced..

·
Registered
373 Posts
The little blue WalMart Cambell/Hausefield 12v pump (about 7x7") and some of those tar ropes with the installation tools is the most cost effective way to go I think. If you put a little patch glue on the rope before you seat it, it makes it stay put even better. I fixed a hole for a guy last year and he's still rolling on that tire. All that will fit in your trunk cubby hole with room to spare. You can spend more money but there's nothing that will work better. I've used the pump for numerous other tasks too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
"The mushrrom style plugs [including the Stop N' Go] are only intended for emergencies and rated for 100 miles. "

Picked up a roofing nail in the rear tire of my BMW RT at around 7k miles. Used a Stop N"Go mushroom plug and the patch lasted until I replaced the tire at 12k miles. Did not have to add any more or less air to the tire during the last 5k as needed during the first 7k.

I now have their kit for each of my bikes.

regards

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Same as BIG LAW! I had to use mine on the way back from Nashville,worked great. I replaced the accessary plug with alligator clips and hooked up to battery. It has been reported that useing the acces. plug will blow a fuse. The plug has held air pressure even after around 5,000 mi. i'm near tire change now.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Over a year ago I found a Slime brand tire repair kit at AutoZone on sale. It included a bottle of Slime which I tossed into the trash. It had a small clear polyethelene tray box with sticky rope plugs, solvent glue, valve stem tool, extra valve stem cores, plugging tools (rasp and inserter), extra valves tem caps, and a few other esoteric items - plus small 12V pump with gague that fits neatly into the CD bay of my bike. Cost was about $14.00. Don't know if they still sell that same kit, but its nice and compact -- just toss the bottle of sealant.

prs

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carry a few of the "rope" plugs, a tube of rubber cement and a small compressor. I've never had to plug mine on the road, but I have stopped and helped 3 other riders who were stranded otherwise.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The one and only tire plug kit that I will carry , is the stop and go, standard model. It has a pistol type gun with all the plugs needed. I have had to use it after finding a sheet rock screw in rear tire. With the help of my wife reading direction as I did the deed, it took all of 15 mins. and air supply to get us back up and running. It can be found on-line under stop and go, or try wingman.com Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Bobb Todd said:
I'll second the Walmart gummie worms. Cheap and made to do a permanent repair.
...PERMANENT ??? I dont know about that BUT I have ran them until the tire was dead!! However on a fairly new tire I install a plug/patch combo thingy
[quote:zf6bmaut]The mushrrom style plugs [including the Stop N' Go] are only intended for emergencies and rated for 100 miles.
They also dont seal longer slits or badly angled holes sometimes.(we are talking roadside REPAIR to get going /or off the road to the next exit if REAL bad) I like the rubber plugs mysalf but carry BOTH the string can fix (it may take a bunch of them) just about anything TEMPORARALY!!!!!

And NO I don't want to enter a debate on whether a plugged tire should be replaced..[/quote:zf6bmaut] They are to exspenive to throw away IF not to bad!!..( I do prefer the plug/patch combo thingy though).....chuck :D :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
BigLaw said:
The little blue WalMart Cambell/Hausefield 12v pump (about 7x7") and some of those tar ropes with the installation tools is the most cost effective way to go I think. If you put a little patch glue on the rope before you seat it, it makes it stay put even better. I fixed a hole for a guy last year and he's still rolling on that tire. All that will fit in your trunk cubby hole with room to spare. You can spend more money but there's nothing that will work better. I've used the pump for numerous other tasks too.

Another vote for this setup, but get the plug kit where the handle of the tool is "T" shaped. From my experience it gives a lot more control and leverage over the type with the screwdriver type handle.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts