Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at crossing that threshold. Which tire is most popular? :shrug:
Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like the Kumho, it is a very great tire. However a new tire is now on the scene. Read the Bridge post by Trialsman. A whole lot of experience in that review, and may be my tire of choice next go around.

Kit

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I like the Kumho, it is a very great tire. However a new tire is now on the scene. Read the Bridge post by Trialsman. A whole lot of experience in that review, and may be my tire of choice next go around.

Kit
Kumho seems to be the most popular right now. Only problem I have with the tire paul and tom are using is availability. I don't have a problem with the 195/55-16, it does everything I want it to do. I am used to the crowns and dips, they don't bother me. Would like to wait though for a report on mileage on that tire they are using.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Pirelli [email protected] RF 195/55/16 @ 30 psi, is the only tire that will go on my bike..I tried a few others and went back to what I feel is the best tire for how aggressively I ride! :thumbup:

There is no way any tire could allow me to ride any harder with the confidence that I have right now.

That 175 tire feel is the main reason why I'm a Darksider-I hated it 6 CT's tires ago,So why on earth would I want to go back to that round tire feel?? :shrug:

On the other hand pretty much any Run Flat CT will give you great service..Seems that everyone who switched over to the Darkside likes the feel from whatever brand of RF/CT they choose. :yes1:

·
Registered
796 Posts

Kit
I'm riding the Kumho too and love it. We will see what develops in the months ahead for the "best" option...but for me it will be a couple of years before I wear out this one. ;)

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Any Run Flat, that will fit, will work great for you. The most common is the 195-55. After that, it's personal preferences like cost, looks of the tread pattern, availability, et cetera..

Good luck with your decisions and welcome..

·
Registered
331 Posts
:agree:the Kumho is a very good tire. This is what i run and am very happy with it.
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Darksider

I am sure this has been covered elsewhere, BUT...

Can someone summarize the handling characteristic changes when running a CT on the bike?

I am considering running the Kumho.

what is the "trick" to getting it mounted on the bike? I would run with Dynabeads.

Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
3turtles,
The characteristics of the car tire vs. the cement tire are overwhelmingly positive, in my opinion. Murgie has a list of positives on his signature. Click on it and enjoy. What I've noticed, is at stop lights and stop signs, the ruts in the pavement made by heavy vehicles, tends to make the car tire want to climb to the highest part of the road. Once that is mastered, you almost never think about it, but always be prepared for it. You'll also notice a much smoother ride, as the car tire only requires about 32 psi. One other signifigantly noticeable difference will be the savings to your pocketbook, as you'll not be replacing tires every time you turn around. Just do it and enjoy the ride. I currently have the Conti-ProContact RunFlat on my 6 and the BattleAx 045 on point. Couldn't be happier, life is good!!! Semper-fi:flg:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I am sure this has been covered elsewhere, BUT...

Can someone summarize the handling characteristic changes when running a CT on the bike?

I am considering running the Kumho.

what is the "trick" to getting it mounted on the bike? I would run with Dynabeads.

Thanks.
In a short summary, the Ct is more square, so it will keep the bike upright more than a BT. Since it has more contact to the road it sill also give a softer ride and very sure footed on most all road surfaces. Also it will give the bike more traction to stop. Uneven roads are the only thing it doesn't like at low speeds, but you will soon learn to read the road and avoid them or be ready for the bike to handle them.
Mounting them is not a big thing. 195/55/16 is the most common size and will pass by the lug nuts with a little gentle push. Some let the air out and mount it since it will be a little narrower. The bike will have to be jacked up a bit higher with the CT than the BT. Some lay the bike on it's side on carpet or card board and mount it that way. 3 oz. dynabeads will be all you need for balancing, if you don't want to static balance it.
If you find a post by Murge, he has a link that gives all the pros and cons on CT and list the common brands and sizes we use.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
GoWing,
Once you cross over.......you'll never look back :yes1: !
The rest of the posts pretty much cover it. Only thing I can think of is that about everyone has reported better mileage out of the CT as compared to the MT. I am running the ContiProContact SSR 195/55-16 which is a run flat. I have over 17K on it now and expect to get another 5 or 6K out of it. When this one wears out I am going to try an Ultra Grip or a Kumho just to see what the differences are in tires, not because I don't like the Conti. The Conti has been great and works great.
Click on is link http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt to find more on CT's.
:beer3:
Frosty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts