GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering buying a GPS for the following applications:

1 - My wife needs turn-by-turn instructions pretty much no matter where she needs to go - even if she's been there many times.

2 - Also to mount on my 1800 for longer trips. I'm riding from MI to FL in a couple weeks and will wander through WV, KY, TN, VA, NC and GA along the way. I have a great sense of direction, use maps and hand-written notes but a GPS seems like it would be helpful, especially to find gas stations, eateries, motels, etc. I've been through these areas 3 times (always on backroads) and some of them are not well marked. Only been "lost" once. Fortunately it was not in fading light.

I have two different price ranges:

1 - Price is no object (literally). I'm inclined to buy here. I'll spend what it takes to get "forward-looking" technoligy but ease of operation is important. Remember, I'm not tech savy.

2 - Bang-for-the-buck range but don't know what features would be important to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I wish Jon lived in my area. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
713 Posts
If the doggone search feature worked on this here old board, you'd be able to find a crap load of suggestions as this has been talked about a LOT. Of course, everyone is going to think that "they" made the right decision with the one they plunked their hard earned cash on, otherwise there would be an admission of stupidity :shock: :shock: There's a few of everything represented on this board, but seems like the iWay's and the Street Pilots are favored by most. Me - I bought the iWay - cause it's the best :D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've owned the 2610 and now the 2720.....I like the 2720 a lot.

Any of them will have a bit of a learning curve....here's a short list of the things that I think are important to ME for a GPS....

1/ Waterproof
2/ able to plan routes and download from PC the the unit.
3/ able to import custom points of interest ( Honda dealers etc)
4/ touch screen
5/ good customer service ( I feel Garmin has this)
6/ easy to take from car to bike to rental car.

Just a short list, if it comes with other stuff, cool....
I don't need the MP3 or XM radio.....
I don't trust the Iway yet.....they may improve it..
The new Zumo from Garmin is too new...want a proven unit.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses here, go to the store and play with them ( the units) and see for yourself......

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
KYBLUE said:
I've owned the 2610 and now the 2720.....I like the 2720 a lot.

Any of them will have a bit of a learning curve....here's a short list of the things that I think are important to ME for a GPS....

1/ Waterproof
2/ able to plan routes and download from PC the the unit.
3/ able to import custom points of interest ( Honda dealers etc)
4/ touch screen
5/ good customer service ( I feel Garmin has this)
6/ easy to take from car to bike to rental car.

Just a short list, if it comes with other stuff, cool....
I don't need the MP3 or XM radio.....
I don't trust the Iway yet.....they may improve it..
The new Zumo from Garmin is too new...want a proven unit.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses here, go to the store and play with them ( the units) and see for yourself......
And the 2720 will announce the name of the street where you turn. Having the voice announce the name of the street is a biggy IMO. My 2610 will show it, but I then have to take my eye's off the road to read the name of the street. If I had the bucks I'd go with the 2720...... Mike

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Charlie about the search feature. Every time I checked out a thread and went back to get the next one, the search-results page had expired and I had to enter the search criteria again. But, this board is free and the advice generally excellent.

After having read alot today, on this board and elsewhere, I've decided to get the Garmin 2720.

Thanks guys for responding.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I don't have a GPS, but have researched them a bit. The Zumo 550 by Garmin is their latest offering I think. Not sure if it's available yet.....but I thought it was supposed to be very soon. Supposed to be designed for motorcyles.

·
Registered
788 Posts
steve s said:
....Supposed to be designed for motorcyles....
Probably true. Shock resistant. Waterproof. Visible screen. Etc.

BUT is it designed for the GPS Power User or the GPS challenged. We all have different requirements in what we expect to be able to do with a GPS. That's where your decision is going to be important.

Yes, I am a Power User and will keep my 2610 until something more capable comes along. We don't know yet if the Zumo is more capable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mike (Michigan) said:
I agree with Charlie about the search feature. Every time I checked out a thread and went back to get the next one, the search-results page had expired and I had to enter the search criteria again. But, this board is free and the advice generally excellent.
Mike,
Holding down the shift key when you click on a link will cause that link to open on a new page. When done reading, just close that page. Your previous search results will be on the original page.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have a GPS V, a 2610, and now a 2730. You want bang for the buck? Or the best GPS? the 2730 wins hands down. Built in maps. Built in XM radio. 3D directions. On board weather forcasts. Built in MP3 player. Talking book capabilities. Weatherproof. Hell, it has so many options you are bound to drive off the road playing with it. Priced on ebay at between $750 and $850, and is way better than the 2610 that I am replacing.

I was tossing around a Magellen while looking, but just liked the setup with the Garmin a lot better. After getting it and putting on a 4500 mile trip, I know I made the right choice.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don wrote
Holding down the shift key when you click on a link will cause that link to open on a new page. When done reading, just close that page. Your previous search results will be on the original page.
Thanks Don. Wish I had known that.

Thanks Harry for your comments. I haven't bought yet and will weigh your opinion before buying.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also have the 2730 and really like it. The only thing to add that Harry didn't is that you have to pay the monthly fee for the XM radio, weather, and traffic. I bought mine in case I decided to use those features later. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
791 Posts
2720 now $670 including shpping at NewEgg

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
IR Harry said:
I have a GPS V, a 2610, and now a 2730. You want bang for the buck? Or the best GPS? the 2730 wins hands down. Built in maps. Built in XM radio. 3D directions. On board weather forcasts. Built in MP3 player. Talking book capabilities. Weatherproof. Hell, it has so many options you are bound to drive off the road playing with it. Priced on ebay at between $750 and $850, and is way better than the 2610 that I am replacing.

I was tossing around a Magellen while looking, but just liked the setup with the Garmin a lot better. After getting it and putting on a 4500 mile trip, I know I made the right choice.
I vote for the 2730 as well. Best damn accessory I've added to my bike (the Diamond seat is a close second).

Bartman

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike (Michigan) said:

After having read alot today, on this board and elsewhere, I've decided to get the Garmin 2720.

Thanks guys for responding.
I have the 2730 and I just love it. Also, about the search feature. When you use the back button and it says you have timed out, just hit the REFRESH BUTTON to the right of the stop button of to the left of the Home Button to the right of the Back Button and it will refresh the screen the same as it was when you when to the first post.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The Marine units are the only ones with the weather radar if you are interested in that. The 27XX series will give weather forecasts but not the weather radar.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Mike (Michigan) said:
Every time I checked out a thread and went back to get the next one, the search-results page had expired and I had to enter the search criteria again.
Hot Tip! Instead of clicking on a link to a thread, right click and open in new tab (if using Firefox) or open in new Window (if using IE.)

When you're done reading the thread, close the tab/window and you're back at your search results and ready for the next link!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same situation. My wife is really technically disadvantaged but wanted a GPS she could work. We settled on the Garmin nuvi350. She has no problem using it at all and won't travel without it. I fabricated a custom mount for my GL1800 and am very pleased with it's function on the bike. Easy to operate even with gloves on. It's not waterproof so you will have to protect it from the rain. If I were buying primarily for the bike I would wait and get the ZUMO for myself. It does everything I would want and it's built to take the punishment of a motorcycle. It won't come cheap but for the number of years service you will get I think it is a good investment. The one advantage the nuvi350 has over them all is its size. About the size of a deck of cards and really handy when you travel. Throw it in your bag and use it in a rental car. Now that I think about it we probably both need two, a his and a hers.

My 2 cents / Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought the 2730 but the new Zumo 550 comes out at the end of October and can be bought for around $780 plus $180 for the GMX30 XM Smart Antenna. It has been designed for a motorcycle. The 2730 comes with the GXM30 antenna for about $800 and the Zumo would cost about $960 total with most of the features of the Zumo but not as many way point storage (2730 - 2,000, Zumo 10,000). Both are weatherproof and can be operated with gloves, Zumo has buttons on the left for operation with left hand (doesn't matter to me as I have electronic cruise control).
You have to have the GXM30 antenna to pick up the XM Radio feature as it is built into the antenna. You need it also to get NavTraffic & NavWeather.

To check it out further, go to the GL1800 forum here and then do a Search for Zumo and you will find several threads and lots of info about this unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts