GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to purchase a motorcycle lift to allow me to do more work on my bike. There are two basic types of lifts, the Pro Cycle lift and the Pit Bull lift. Which would you recommend and why??

Thanks

Mark Hagy

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had a sears. It was a little to shakey for me. Ordered the Pit Bull about a years ago. Pit Bull all the way to the top, solid.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Lift

i have the pitt bull and love it solid as a rock I have the air assisted.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you have the room get a table lift and you will be one happy camper!!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
When you are ready, let me know. I have pretty good prices for board members.

I have a handy Table lift and hardly use it for anything but storage for my Bushtec in the summer, and my Wing in the winter.

Bulldog

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bulldog said:
When you are ready, let me know. I have pretty good prices for board members.

I have a handy Table lift and hardly use it for anything but storage for my Bushtec in the summer, and my Wing in the winter.

Bulldog
Hey Bulldog,
Whats a pretty good price to a board member?? T.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
TV

These are brand new Lifts, Drop shipped from the factory, direct.

Air:

$545 + $75 Shipping via UPS to your door.

Manual:

$400 + $75 " " " " " " " " " "

just let me know

Dawg

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing about the table lift is you can use it for all kinds of things(lawn mowers, 4 wheelers. etc.) I've had one for 10 years and wouldn't do without it. That pricing sounds pretty good in this day and age.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm 100% in agreement with Jeff P. I have a Western air table lift and just use my little roll around floor lift VERY little. There is no substitute for a good table lift. Just look at any motorcycle shop or ask any mechanic.

Here is a link to Western Manufacturing's table lift page: http://www.shop-equipment.com/motorcycl ... _lift.html

Here is a photo of the lift:

After I "discoverered" Western four of my friends have bought this lift and love it!

And this lift is only $625.00 !! Plus the owner is very reasonable with shipping.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
coolhand said:
I'm 100% in agreement with Jeff P. I have a Western air table lift and just use my little roll around floor lift VERY little. There is no substitute for a good table lift. Just look at any motorcycle shop or ask any mechanic.

Here is a link to Western Manufacturing's table lift page: http://www.shop-equipment.com/motorcycl ... _lift.html

Here is a photo of the lift:

After I "discoverered" Western four of my friends have bought this lift and love it!

And this lift is only $625.00 !! Plus the owner is very reasonable with shipping.
I do have a question that was asked of me when I was talking to someone else in regard to the table lift. Can you remove both wheels at the same time? I said it was possible when using a scissor jack or something like that. Am I right?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I also have a Handy Lift.

The problem with it, is that it takes up nearly 3/4 of a garage bay. It does not go low enough, so that you can pull a vehicle over it, when the lift is not in use.

My Handy lift has the front extension $$$ so that you can fit the Wing on it. Also two side extensions (not shown in the pic), so that you can have a work table when up in the air.

The Handy is a great lift. However it is very difficult to pull both wheels off the bike and maintain a stable environment. If you are working on the underneath of the bike, while on the lift, it has the same clearance, as if you were working on the ground, only up in the air.

I have spent a lot of money on lifts over the years. I find the frame lift to be more practical. Yes I have used the Handy Lift for my John Deere etc. but only because I could.

Problems with a Frame lift, is that you can not lift a "Sport Bike" that is wrapped in plastic, and for some makes and models, you need to purchase an adaptor, if you can find one, or you have to make oneie Valkyrie, or the Yamaha Stars etc.

Lifting a half ton motorcycle a couple of feet in the air has got to be a safe operation.

Risk must be calculated, then accepted or denied.

Choose wisely!

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hey Dawg,

I never did hear back about the questions I asked. They prolly got lost in the spam folder. I have told locals about you selling them. They may be looking you up for one. I am going to get a pitbull vs a table lift. I am in debate on air or manual. You can not pass up a good offer.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I have an air compressor strong enough, but it is 7 or 8 yrs old. I need to fix a leak around one of the gauges. I do appreciate the respones. I have been in debate on the table turn, as I have a 10ft wide garage and toos and shelves that will make it hard to do a 180. But I still think it is a good feature to have.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I think Bulldog should put both of his lifts and tire changer in a truck and travel around the country going from one GL1800 board member to the next letting them try out each style lift while Luther changes our tires. That way we could each try both styles hands on. LOL's

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Brother Blue Wing,

But who has tires?...LOL

Afraid that won't work. I have neither the physical stamina to do the work, nor the mental stamina to put up with the bargaining....LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
BlueWing said:
I think Bulldog should put both of his lifts and tire changer in a truck and travel around the country going from one GL1800 board member to the next letting them try out each style lift while Luther changes our tires. That way we could each try both styles hands on. LOL's
I think that is a great idea. But I think Fred should be the one traveling while bulldog brings coffee and doughnuts (or something along those lines).

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WOW...you guys have MONEY...can't afford the Pitt Bull...so I use a Craftsman lift then after its lifted use the Pepsx stand... http://www.pepsx.com/

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Pit Bull all the way. Price may be high compared to some of the others, but the quaility and ease of use can't be beat. Extremly stable. MC shop bought one just to do tire work cause you can get both tires off and servic both wheels with ease....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts