GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which type of satellite radio do you use?

• Sirus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XM

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I use XM. I spent a lot of time checking out the programming and they're virtually identical for MY purposes. I don't care about sports, shock jocks, etc. I just want to listen to commercial free music in a number of genres with occasional news, old time radio, etc. when I want it.

So once I figured out that programming, service fees, etc. were all the same, then it became a matter of picking out the equipment.

There are fine radios for both services. I tend to like the ones for XM a little better (like the Roady2 and Roady XT.) So I went with XM.

Your mileage may and will probably vary. :wink:

·
Registered
628 Posts
WHEN WE FIRST GOT SATELLITE IN THE WIFE'S Mustang, XM was $3 cheaper. I am cheap. Anymore questions?

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
XM. Although the fidelity stinks. I use the IPOD more.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've had XM from way back when. At the time, Sirius was in serious trouble financially (pardon the intended pun). It wasn't sure they were going to make it. With them hiring Howard Stern, I wouldn't give them the time of day now.

I only listen to two or three channels - none that the younger set would be the least interested in. I actually listen to it more at home than I do on the bike.

Mesquite Bob

G

·
MesquiteBob said:
I've had XM from way back when. At the time, Sirius was in serious trouble financially (pardon the intended pun). It wasn't sure they were going to make it. With them hiring Howard Stern, I wouldn't give them the time of day now.

I only listen to two or three channels - none that the younger set would be the least interested in. I actually listen to it more at home than I do on the bike.

Mesquite Bob
Amen, Stern is an IDIOT.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have had both and the sirrus has much better reception in the nothern states or mountainous areas or big cities with tall buildings , thier satalite travels directly over the center of the us, xm travels a lot farther south and the signal hits the northern us at quite an angle and is easily blocked by the fore mentioned items.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I did the 3 day trial with each, liked my choices with Sirius better and in 2007 NASCAR moves there also. The wife got the deal she found the best, she got the equipment and away we went with her directly, me installin' and us enjoyin' it. :wink:
I always suggest to folks to do the free trial, we as already registered users can rant and rave all we want, folks need to check it out for themselves and everybody has opinion. :roll: :lol:
I also loathe Stern, refuse to listen to him and do not acknowledge his bein' here on the planet, he is LOSER with all caps at a minimum. :twisted:

:flg:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If I ever got over the total objection I have to paying to listen to a radio, I might consider it.
It's bad enough I have to pay for all this Directv the SO has to have...but if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!! :wink:

·
Registered
439 Posts
XM has the channels I wanted. Others may have another choice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I stuck with XM , because I have and had it in my cars and trucks. So, it makes sense to keep it all one system. The second thru sixth radios are discounted prices for the service.

Was in 2001 Gmc YukonXL

Is in 2003 GMC YukonXL, 2006 Chev. Corvette and Home. (will be hooked up to GW. (when I get off my rear) :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I couldn't find any big difference in programming and Sirrius gave me a free radio and car kit with my 1 year subscription. Now they are trying to give me a free second radio with a 6 month prepaid second receiver fee. I might just do it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
paid radio bah humbug..........

I wasn't gonna pay for dog gone radio no how no way. Yeah right, now I have one in my truck and in Linda's HHR and the floater that goes on the bikes and in the house LOL. Can't imagine not having it now. Where we live there isn't much to choose from that come over regular FM radio. XM gives us a world of choices and can address any different tastes that we may have for that day. Oh yeah and I don't contribute any moola to Howeerd Sturn's attempt to totally dehumanize and trash the United States of America.

Denny

·
Registered
399 Posts
XM I signed up for it in May and then went on a 15 state tour including 4 provinces of Canada. Excellent reception except occasional fading from trees. Very rare though. Plus they have many options. That translates into more ways to spend your money after the initial purchase. :lol:

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
MesquiteBob said:

Mesquite Bob
Amen, Stern is an IDIOT.
I can never begin to believe the amount of ignorance this board has when it comes to Howard Stern. He is a TOTAL family man and I would put him up against any one of us on how he has raised his family. Hes not riding around on a damm motorcycle across this stupid country every 2 seconds , he is home raising his family. He also provides a damm good living for them and a WHOLE lot of other people. He dosent ***** out his audence either by selling stupid chackies like that load Limbaugh, whos a major fake and alleged DRUG addict.... you guys have got to get a grip and look at your own lives before you start trashing a guy that , by most ratings and popular opinion is kicking everybodys arse on the radio... XM has Opie and Anthony who had people on a dare have sex in St. patricks Cathederal and made a fake report that the Mayor of Boston was dead... Get a grip... If ya don't want Sirius .... get XM.. Jesus!!

(besides I am an investor in sirius) :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just like you other guys, I couldn't imagine paying for RADIO. Then I got the Honda Accord with built in XM. Now I can't live without it! I really, really like channel 73, Franks Place. My kind of music! We too have traveled extensively, and the Old Time Radio, ie: The Shadow, Lone Ranger, The Whistler, etc, etc. really makes the miles melt away. XM for me!

I won't contribute to the Howard Stern fortune either. No way, No how.

Ken

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
BLK04WNG said:
MesquiteBob said:

Mesquite Bob
Amen, Stern is an IDIOT.
I can never begin to believe the amount of ignorance this board has when it comes to Howard Stern. He is a TOTAL family man and I would put him up against any one of us on how he has raised his family. Hes not riding around on a damm motorcycle across this stupid country every 2 seconds , he is home raising his family. He also provides a damm good living for them and a WHOLE lot of other people. He dosent ***** out his audence either by selling stupid chackies like that load Limbaugh, whos a major fake and alleged DRUG addict.... you guys have got to get a grip and look at your own lives before you start trashing a guy that , by most ratings and popular opinion is kicking everybodys arse on the radio... XM has Opie and Anthony who had people on a dare have sex in St. patricks Cathederal and made a fake report that the Mayor of Boston was dead... Get a grip... If ya don't want Sirius .... get XM.. Jesus!!

(besides I am an investor in sirius) :D
You can still be a total idiot and do all of those things you mentioned.... And as far as O&A... I don't like them either, I actually like Stern more than them but in his career he has done just as stupid stuff as what you mentioned, he was just lucky that it wasn't during such a PC time as it is now. That is one of the reasons he left FM and went to SIRIUS, because he was being limited in doing that kind of stuff...

And I believe pretty much anyone here that is riding around, as you say, this stupid country has already raised their family and has earned the right to do what ever they want.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I chose Sirius because I liked the music format better. I do not listen to Stern. If someone truly hates Stern and does not want to contribute to his income, they will disconnect/cancel their cable and satellite inputs to their TV's as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was considering XM radio for the MC so a friend let me borrow thier Delphi XM2GO to try it in my car. I'm very disapointed in the sound quality...so much so that I'd rather spend my money on a larger MP3 player right now. Next year I need to get a new GPS. I like the Nuvo and since it has XM built in, I'll probably just make the plunge at that time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts