GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I had a different experience regarding the Honda upper air deflectors, both my wife and myself noticed the additional air to our sides above the waist with the upper deflectors in the open position compared to before they were installed. Most noticeable in our air flow jackets when the temps got warm, air was nicely hitting me under the arm on my side and also my wife riding pillion, worked great for us.

I never rode the bike with out upper deflectors as they were installed by the dealer as part of the sale. The Honda deflectors are much stronger then the Show Chrome that I currently have installed. The Show Chrome do a better job of pulling air into your torso area.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I never rode the bike with out upper deflectors as they were installed by the dealer as part of the sale. The Honda deflectors are much stronger then the Show Chrome that I currently have installed. The Show Chrome do a better job of pulling air into your torso area.
Odd that you would make the statement "When open they do nothing to add additional air flow to your torso" without having rode the bike without them for comparison, it's unfortunate when folks read opinion posts as fact, when possibly they are not. :serious:

All good though, no worries, just different opinions, safe travels!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Odd that you would make the statement "When open they do nothing to add additional air flow to your torso" without having rode the bike without them for comparison, it's unfortunate when folks read opinion posts as fact, when possibly they are not. :serious:

All good though, no worries, just different opinions, safe travels!
You have a good day. I think that I was expecting more then what I got. The flow is similar to what you get with a BMW K1200LT and the Show Chrome is close to what you see on a K1600GTL but smoother.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I went with Honda upper and lower because I'd test ridden one with them installed and knew they worked.
I wish they had a tinted option, though. I'd probably have gone with Show Chrome for the tinted option had I not already decided on the test ride.
take them to a local tint shop. it should be quick and relatively inexpensive and you can go as dark as you want.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
OK, im getting confused here, dummy me... I assumed you use the uppers to stop airflow from hitting you, when theyre extended (is that considered open?). when theyre retracted all the way in (closed?) isnt it the same as not having them at all, and you get the same air flow as youd get from not having them installed? Also, the uppers can affect the air flow to the passenger?

·
Registered
421 Posts
OK, im getting confused here, dummy me... I assumed you use the uppers to stop airflow from hitting you, when theyre extended (is that considered open?). when theyre retracted all the way in (closed?) isnt it the same as not having them at all, and you get the same air flow as youd get from not having them installed? Also, the uppers can affect the air flow to the passenger?
Honda Upper Air Deflector:

Positive Deployment = Outboard tip of each wind deflector is pushed full forward for maximum wind protection to rider & passenger.
Neutral Deployment = Wind deflector blade is positioned parallel to bikes front & rear wheels offering no added wind protection.
Negative Deployment = Wind deflector blade is pointing inward toward the cockpit providing additional air to rider and passenger.

In the "Positive Deployment" position with stock windshield my passenger noted a welcome reduction of wind buffeting.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Honda Upper Air Deflector:

Positive Deployment = Outboard tip of each wind deflector is pushed full forward for maximum wind protection to rider & passenger.
Neutral Deployment = Wind deflector blade is positioned parallel to bikes front & rear wheels offering no added wind protection.
Negative Deployment = Wind deflector blade is pointing inward toward the cockpit providing additional air to rider and passenger.

In the "Positive Deployment" position with stock windshield my passenger noted a welcome reduction of wind buffeting.
thank you! just finished reading your extensive write up on shields. loved it and thank you for taking the time. a few months later do things pretty much stand the way they did at the time? im looking for more wind protection for my wife so im thinking the slipstreamer and the honda upper wings

·
Registered
421 Posts
thank you! just finished reading your extensive write up on shields. loved it and thank you for taking the time. a few months later do things pretty much stand the way they did at the time? im looking for more wind protection for my wife so im thinking the slipstreamer and the honda upper wings
I'm still running the wide Slipstreamer with the X-Creen attached. The X-Creen helps to reduce wind buffeting at the passenger position while allowing me to look over both. Just returned from a 10 day 3,000 mile trip to Sturgis and this combo performed very well.

I know Madstad is working on a shield for the 2018. Had a Madstad on my 2013 F6B and it was great. Madstad recommends the shield be set at a 55-60 degree angle for max wind protection. The shield on the 2018 sits at about 40 degrees and I have the X-Creen set at 55 degrees which helps to lift air up & over while reducing buffeting.

No Idea when the Madstad for the 2018 will be out but I'm sure I'll give it a try based on prior Madstad experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed the Baker upper and lowers and love the difference. The uppers are adjustable which is very helpful on hot days. I bought the clear ones and you barely notice them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
The air is not really the same with deflectors as compared to without. With the deflectors open I’ve found that they still “clean the air” and lessen buffeting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Installed the upper show chrome and have been delighted with blocking and air flow(when open). Not tried others.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Installed the Show Chrome deflectors and they hit the mark for me! I like the style VS the OEM or Baker options.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Those with the LOWERS, do you feel that you get LESS engine heat with them closed (positive displacement). I know on my '08 I used the Bakers to keep the engine heat off my legs, never really opened them to neutral or negative displacement unless it got cooler.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those with the LOWERS, do you feel that you get LESS engine heat with them closed (positive displacement). I know on my '08 I used the Bakers to keep the engine heat off my legs, never really opened them to neutral or negative displacement unless it got cooler.

I use them to direct the hot radiator air around my legs. They work best adjusted just a little open so that a small amount can go behind the fin, and the rest goes in front of the fin. That way there is a nice laminar flow which actually smooths the deflection and kicks it farther out and away from me.

This is all very hard to describe in text.

But laminar flow is much better than a complete negative vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
601 Posts
The OEM lowers do not adjust. I can't say the lowers are really worth it, but I haven't had to ride in the rain as of yet. I do notice a small amount of engine heat on my left ankle, but not much. It is just slightly warmer than the right side. The OEM uppers are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The OEM lowers do not adjust. I can't say the lowers are really worth it, but I haven't had to ride in the rain as of yet. I do notice a small amount of engine heat on my left ankle, but not much. It is just slightly warmer than the right side. The OEM uppers are definitely worth it.
In light to moderate rain I don't get any water on my shins or feet with the Honda Lowers. Main reason I installed the Honda lowers was to prevent radiator heat from being funneled into the rider cockpit when my feet are on my Mick-O-Pegs. I'm happy with the Honda Upper and lower wind deflectors and will not be changing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In light to moderate rain I don't get any water on my shins or feet with the Honda Lowers. Main reason I installed the Honda lowers was to prevent radiator heat from being funneled into the rider cockpit when my feet are on my Mick-O-Pegs. I'm happy with the Honda Upper and lower wind deflectors and will not be changing.
As some others have stated, the Honda lower wind deflectors extend so far down that they can interfere with getting your feet on most highway peg options. I have Mick-O-Pegs so interference is not an issue.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts