GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In past threads regarding doing the update there has been questions about which USB version (2 or 3) should/can be used.

Decided that today was the day to apply the Jan 19 update to Farmgal's and my DCT's.

Having read about the issue, I had obtained both usb versions so each could be tried.

Both bikes had had the first fall update, but not the 2nd.

Used usb 2 for one bike usb3 for the other. Both were 16BG.

Updates were successful with both.
Time required for update was the same for both.

I 'feel' like the time for the bike to read the usb and then display the update yes/no screen was longer than when I did the fall update.

It also seemed to take longer to redisplay the update screen at the completion of the update -- long enough that I was beginning to think something was wrong and the process was going to fail.

Summary/lessons learned:

USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 -- use whichever you have available

When starting the process, be patient while it reads the USB before it asks if you want to update.

At the end of the process -- be patient waiting for it to 'reboot' and again display the y/n screen.

At first, you may think it has shut off -- but it's just restarting.

When the update screen re-displays, the 'from' and 'to' software versions will be the same.

And the Nav will now happily load a 20 point route created in Honda trip planner.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
I just did the January 2019 update a short time ago. When it was finished, I did not get the yes/no screen. It went directly to the FM radio screen.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Farmguy, am I to understand that you and your wife each have your own DCT?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just did the January 2019 update a short time ago. When it was finished, I did not get the yes/no screen. It went directly to the FM radio screen.

The computer on the bike restarts and the FM radio comes on. You have to wait until the bike finds the usb stick again. About the same time it took when you started the update.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
The computer on the bike restarts and the FM radio comes on. You have to wait until the bike finds the usb stick again. About the same time it took when you started the update.

Didn't have to wait as it never went to that screen. Listened to the FM radio till the bike shut itself off from the accessory position. That took about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Didn't have to wait as it never went to that screen. Listened to the FM radio till the bike shut itself off from the accessory position. That took about 40 minutes.

Mine did that too and I downloaded the update again two days ago and then it worked right.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's what both of ours did.

Screen blacks out, the restarts and fires up radio.

After a wait similar to the one when the process is first started the yes/no screens came back up.

The yes/no screens will list the software version in the bike and the software version on the usb.

Software version number can also be called up in the 'system information' screen under general settings item.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a weird condition with my bike. The first update back in Oct I think it was went as the instructions stated. This 2nd one was very difficult and my bike had a very hard time finding the USB. Finally it found the update on the USB stick and installed. Now after riding on a 1300 mi trip and finding the audio again won't work on the trip planned on the way home after shutting the bike off for gas and then restarting no audio I attempted to reload the update just to make sure everything was OK. But it now won't find the update. I have tried on 2 different Window 10 machines, tried on 2 different USB sticks (one stick is the same that was successful previously). Don't know what to think outside of maybe after the having a current update and trying to install over it again with the same version it won't load.

And yes I formatted in the proper format on both a USB 2 and 3 16GB stick , am following the directions the same as before etc but it just won't recognize the stick. Downloaded the update on 2 different computers, formatted on2 different computers and used 2 different usb sticks, the 2nd stick was bought new yesterday. Sits there for a few seconds then starts up going to the radio or nav screen or whatever you left it on. I have even changed my download path direct to the usb stick thinking maybe when copying from the H.D. to the stick it was getting corrupted. Nothing works.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Mine did that too and I downloaded the update again two days ago and then it worked right.
I did not have to do the update again. The correct update was there; HG.ACM.18.11.29.08.16.00, my favorites and history was overwritten, “beep” was enabled and reset to the default values as were the volume levels for headset, nav, and audio volume.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have a weird condition with my bike. The first update back in Oct I think it was went as the instructions stated. This 2nd one was very difficult and my bike had a very hard time finding the USB. Finally it found the update on the USB stick and installed. Now after riding on a 1300 mi trip and finding the audio again won't work on the trip planned on the way home after shutting the bike off for gas and then restarting no audio I attempted to reload the update just to make sure everything was OK. But it now won't find the update. I have tried on 2 different Window 10 machines, tried on 2 different USB sticks (one stick is the same that was successful previously). Don't know what to think outside of maybe after the having a current update and trying to install over it again with the same version it won't load.

And yes I formatted in the proper format on both a USB 2 and 3 16GB stick , am following the directions the same as before etc but it just won't recognize the stick. Downloaded the update on 2 different computers, formatted on2 different computers and used 2 different usb sticks, the 2nd stick was bought new yesterday. Sits there for a few seconds then starts up going to the radio or nav screen or whatever you left it on. I have even changed my download path direct to the usb stick thinking maybe when copying from the H.D. to the stick it was getting corrupted. Nothing works.
I wonder if you are not waiting long enough for the bike to 'load/compare' the info on the usb??

When the updated completes and re-displays yes/no screen, the 'from' and 'to' filenames it displays will be the same.
You can check this file name on the info screen, so no need to reload.

As I test I just went out and re-inserted the update usb.
Turned bike on.
It initialized, and started the radio, as always.
Soon the activity indicator on the usb was flashing (radio still playing)

I didn't get time from bike start exactly, but it did measure it at more than 45 seconds before the yes/no screen appeared.

Of course the 2 filenames were still the same, so selected 'no'.

Are you sure you waited long enough for the yes/no screen?
Did you look at the system info section to see if it lists the new file ID?

First couple times my audio 'quit' is turned out to be because I'd 'pushed and held' the 'source' button on LH handlbar and muted it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I wonder if you are not waiting long enough for the bike to 'load/compare' the info on the usb??

When the updated completes and re-displays yes/no screen, the 'from' and 'to' filenames it displays will be the same.
You can check this file name on the info screen, so no need to reload.

As I test I just went out and re-inserted the update usb.
Turned bike on.
It initialized, and started the radio, as always.
Soon the activity indicator on the usb was flashing (radio still playing)

I didn't get time from bike start exactly, but it did measure it at more than 45 seconds before the yes/no screen appeared.

Of course the 2 filenames were still the same, so selected 'no'.

Are you sure you waited long enough for the yes/no screen?
Did you look at the system info section to see if it lists the new file ID?

First couple times my audio 'quit' is turned out to be because I'd 'pushed and held' the 'source' button on LH handlbar and muted it.

Update you hit the ball out of the park this is what I was doing not waiting enough. If I remember correctly it didn't take near this long on the first update back in Oct 2018. What I was seeing was after turning on 2x and going to accessory was the Honda logo come up, then it would say that you are responsible hit enter, then it would say NO USB Audio files, then just sit there for what seemed like it wasn't going to find the update file then finally come up with the YES.NO for update etc. Soooooo even though it did say I had the new 2019 update loaded I went ahead and loaded again as like I said earlier my audio on my GPS trips are again going silent after shutting the bike off for fuel while on a trip that the GPS is doing. So this is a step backwards that the Oct 2018 fixed.

One thing I have verified out of all of this is you can just save the file when downloading from Honda to the flash drive so that saves you a lot of time. I just went into my menu on my computer and changed the path from (download directory on the hard drive ) to my USB flash drive. From there just go direct to the bike and start the update after the D/L file has finished. Of course doing it this way you don't have the file on your computer I don't need it again there I will just keep this jump drive for my Honda updates. But it is looking like for me anyway I have only taken a step backwards from the 2018 update. I have noticed some new nifty screens on a trip giving you the next couple of turns but they are so **** small when fighting traffic etc it is hard to see them. It makes you wonder if the people writing the code for this POS even ride or understand what is needed with a GPS on a $28K motorcycle.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update you hit the ball out of the park this is what I was doing not waiting enough. If I remember correctly it didn't take near this long on the first update back in Oct 2018. What I was seeing was after turning on 2x and going to accessory was the Honda logo come up, then it would say that you are responsible hit enter, then it would say NO USB Audio files, then just sit there for what seemed like it wasn't going to find the update file then finally come up with the YES.NO for update etc. Soooooo even though it did say I had the new 2019 update loaded I went ahead and loaded again as like I said earlier my audio on my GPS trips are again going silent after shutting the bike off for fuel while on a trip that the GPS is doing. So this is a step backwards that the Oct 2018 fixed.

One thing I have verified out of all of this is you can just save the file when downloading from Honda to the flash drive so that saves you a lot of time. I just went into my menu on my computer and changed the path from (download directory on the hard drive ) to my USB flash drive. From there just go direct to the bike and start the update after the D/L file has finished. Of course doing it this way you don't have the file on your computer I don't need it again there I will just keep this jump drive for my Honda updates. But it is looking like for me anyway I have only taken a step backwards from the 2018 update. I have noticed some new nifty screens on a trip giving you the next couple of turns but they are so **** small when fighting traffic etc it is hard to see them. It makes you wonder if the people writing the code for this POS even ride or understand what is needed with a GPS on a $28K motorcycle.
I think the lane preview screens and/or the upcoming turn list was there all along.

There 'appearance' or not depends on settings on the bike.

For sure I used both of them on a trip last July.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Farm guy,
Appreciate the comparison between USB 2 and 3. I believe the goldwing meets USB 3.0 specs so i was a bit surprised the USB 3 was not faster. However, even though the USB 3.0 spec allows for much higher transfer rates, it is not always guaranteed.
I bought a USB 3.0, 256 Gb flash drive, (overkill but the only one Costco sold), specifically to do these updates. Both updates worked pretty smoothly. I believe uploading to the goldwing took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Farm guy,
Appreciate the comparison between USB 2 and 3. I believe the goldwing meets USB 3.0 specs so i was a bit surprised the USB 3 was not faster. However, even though the USB 3.0 spec allows for much higher transfer rates, it is not always guaranteed.
I bought a USB 3.0, 256 Gb flash drive, (overkill but the only one Costco sold), specifically to do these updates. Both updates worked pretty smoothly. I believe uploading to the goldwing took about 30 minutes.
I only tested both because there were previous posts claiming that one or the other would not work on the bike.

Both the ones I used were 16GB

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
I think the lane preview screens and/or the upcoming turn list was there all along.

There 'appearance' or not depends on settings on the bike.

For sure I used both of them on a trip last July.
Correct. The lane preview screens and the upcoming turn list were there all along. If you selected Route List Mode, the next three maneuvers are displayed. If you selected Map Mode, only the next maneuver is displayed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts