GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my back wheel off (taking tomorrow to get new tire). Noticed that my Falken is marked "inside" on one side and "outside" on the other. I remember we debated this at the shop last year and just made our best educated guess.

I think the outside should face toward the left handle bar and the inside toward the right if it makes any difference. Am I right?:shrug:

Also, I have mine up on a bike lift right now and was wondering how many riders remove the left muffler to make it easier. :?:

Also I noticed that that little square part in the plastic wheel well that is made for the wires to run through was sticking out too far. I am talking about that little squared off part that catches the most when you are trying to cram the wheel back in. On mine the wires were outside the square notch made for it. I pulled the wires back over where they go and pushed that area back in more aginst the frame and tightened the zip tie that holds it. It appears that it won't catch as much now when putting the new tire back in.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Just took my back wheel off (taking tomorrow to get new tire). Noticed that my Falken is marked "inside" on one side and "outside" on the other. I remember we debated this at the shop last year and just made our best educated guess.

I think the outside should face toward the left handle bar and the inside toward the right if it makes any difference. Am I right?:shrug:
Most have been mounting that tire the way you indicate.

Also, I have mine up on a bike lift right now and was wondering how many riders remove the left muffler to make it easier. :?:
I have never taken the muffler loose.

Also I noticed that that little square part in the plastic wheel well that is made for the wires to run through was sticking out too far. I am talking about that little squared off part that catches the most when you are trying to cram the wheel back in. On mine the wires were outside the square notch made for it. I pulled the wires back over where they go and pushed that area back in more aginst the frame and tightened the zip tie that holds it. It appears that it won't catch as much now when putting the new tire back in.
Rotsa Ruck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
"Outside" or "Inside" doesn't matter for this tire; it is asymmetrical (aka "non-directional"). On a motorcycle, it will run effectively turned either way. Except if you only make turns to the left or the right. In that case, "outside" would be opposite of the way you always turn.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Outside, (if it makes any difference) should be as if it were the left side of a cage.
:agree:this is the way most mount them.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It does not make any differance..These tires can travel in either direction..LIke I have said before ....if it made a differance you would have to buy 2 right hand only tires and 2 left hand only tires...

·
Registered
393 Posts
The tire is asymmetrical which is why there is an Outside and Inside on each side of the tire. The outside is more of a summer tire design, the center is a rain tire design, and the inside is a winter tire design. That is one way of making an all-season tire, use 3 different tread designs on a single tire.
Anyway, the summer side should wear better and the winter side will have better traction usually.
Make sure you mount it the proper direction for your vehicle. :shrug:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Left turns during the summer, riding straight during rain and right turns in the winter, right? :joke:
Sounds about right, I don't use a asymmetrical tire for that reason but that is just me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The tire is asymmetrical which is why there is an Outside and Inside on each side of the tire. The outside is more of a summer tire design, the center is a rain tire design, and the inside is a winter tire design. That is one way of making an all-season tire, use 3 different tread designs on a single tire.
Anyway, the summer side should wear better and the winter side will have better traction usually.
Make sure you mount it the proper direction for your vehicle. :shrug:
Mine has the same tread pattern all the way across but 1/2 is reversed from the other side..So which way am I allowed to turn in the summer...LOL

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Left turns during the summer, riding straight during rain and right turns in the winter, right? :joke:
What about reverse?:shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts