GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops, you cannot edit typos in the thread title. It should be "Which Way Works?"

Very good question Harley1425.

harley1425 said:
This brings up an interesting question that I have. I bought a set of the Baker hand wings and put them on according to the instructions. Then on the first trip after install I noticed that they looked like they were on backwards. The taper top according to the instructions is backwards from the way they look like they should go. I turned them around and they seem to fit better and give more protection. Is this personel preferance or are they on backwards?
I wonder if some of the people who have them and say they work great and do not move at high speed have installed them per the directions.
Here is the way the Baker web page shows the wings installed. The directions that come with the wings are the same as the Baker website photo. This is the way I installed my Baker Wings. Note the location of the acorn nuts.
One acorn nut is near the pivot and one is far forward of the pivot. Note that most of the area is in front of the pivot line.

Here is a picture courtesy of Kennharvey that clearly shows he has mounted them backwards from the directions, but he says that they work great for him and do not move. Note that when these mirror wings are faired (aligned with the wind), one acorn nut will be far aft of the pivot line. You can also see the metal bracket in this photo. The metal bracket will be aft of the pivot line when faired. The Baker web site photo at the top of this post shows the acorn nuts (attached to the metal bracket) in front of the pivot line.

Kennharvey said:
Yep, Jon, we have some nasty winds here in Wyoming and with 4 years of the complete Baker Built set, on my old 1500 and my 2004 1800, I have never had them blow open or closed. They work great!

Maybe all the Baker wings that are working great are mounted backwards from the Baker directions. I am going to give it a try. It seems like turning them around might help if most of the surface area is moved behind the pivot line. At least it will not be so violent if they just point into the wind when they slip (instead of slamming to the full open position once they catch too much air). The violent shifting to the full open position can be very unsettling at high speed depending on what you are doing. I am afraid the wings may break off when that happens at very high speeds.

My request is that those who have had success with the Baker Wind wings identify which way they have them installed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interesting thought, you can only tighten these so much and they still flop open.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The newer tapered had wings mount in reverse to the older rectangular had wings.

A

·
0 Posts
I have mine mounted opposite of the Baker instructions, which would be opposite of the first picture in the first post.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people's hand wings are moving in the wind. Mine are difficult to move. It takes two hands to move each one. I have even tried to move them with my yard blower, which blows at 180mph. They will not move.

I just do not understand how there is such a difference from one bike to another with the same product installed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My work exposes me to to pressure distributions on all types of wings and plates. The center of pressure (CP) for a plate at angle of attack is forward of the geometric center of the plate. The install directions are as clear as the top photo. The additional plate area in front of the pivot line combined with the CP being futher forward than the geometric center creates even more moment. Trying to keep the baker wings straight is sort of like taking a wind vane and trying to hold the tail into the wind, it just keeps trying to turn around.

I find it amazing that thanks to Kennharvey posting his photo, the Baker wing mounting difference became obvious.
I think if I turn my wings around from the Baker directions (as you have and Kennharvey has), the center of pressure will be near the pivot line, and they will quit moving. You are the first to confirm my suspicions. I will keep watching for more posts. Silly me...I followed the Baker directions.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I installed mine per the instructions, and they would not stay open. After over a year of frustration, I read where they need to be tightened pretty good. Lo and behold, I cranked on them and they work great staying open. At first I never would have thought to tighten them that much.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Baker Wings

My experince is the same as twyn. Have them mounted per instructrions (like the first picture) and wouldn't stay open at speed. Tightened very tight and now they stay put. I may need a wrench to move them this fall when it's time to close them for the winter.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am starting to get the impression that the upper picture showing the current baker design with 2/3rds of the surface area in front of the pivot axis is a significant change from the older design. I think the photo from Kenharvey must be the older design as Ellary pointed out, not the current Baker wings put on backwards. If so, the older design is much more balanced with regard to surface area and the pivot axis location.

Well I tried to turn the wings around last night. They did not fit. I had interference problems with the plastic housing on the mirror. I also tried swapping only the metal bracket from side to side to see if there was some combination of the parts that allowed me to move most of the baker wing surface area behind the pivot line and still get good range of motion. I had no luck. I am now in the experimental mode and starting to drill holes in the wings and try out some other options. I had to stop when I broke loose the blue loctite with all my cranking on them. If I stumble across any modification that works for me and I am proud of the way it looks, I will post. Do not hold your breath.

Thanks for all the info guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts