GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Goldwing that came with a really nice, tented Clockwerkz windshield. Unfortunately my wife is getting more air than she would like.
I had two other Gl1800 Goldwings in the past with regular stock windshields, that I liked fine.
I had a Tulsa Tall windshield that I bought, then took off, and went back to stock, because stock was better for me.
Now with this nice Clockwerkz shield not working out, I'm afraid to spend the money on anything that isn't an improvement.
Where to get a nice inexpensive, stock windshield, or a upgraded windshied that works, while still providing as much comfort for both me and the wife.
That silly Tulsa Tall Windshield was just too much, this Clockwerkz isn't enough.
Windshields get really pricy to be buying the wrong shield.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
With my 2005 that I purchased new, I bough a couple right here from people who removed the stock shield and replaced with some aftermarket.
Good deals can be found right here. I also like the stock windshield. Last year I bought a brand new 2016 GL1800 level 3 at a fantastic price. I will be replacing the windshield someday with a near new F4 that I recently purchased from a member right here.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I also have a 2010, came with a way-too high shield that I couldn’t see over so I put on the stock one. After thousands of miles I bought a MADSTAD. With its adjustment, plus a 1” taller top section, I’m totally happy with this combination. I’m 5’-10” tall.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I had the stock windshield on my 1800 and suffered the same issue you describe, wife in the wind. I removed it and went with the Madstad as well. Clear view of the road, reduced wind on me and the wife, helmet buffeting all but disappeared, and I can even see in the rain. Real funny thing is I looked at other options and when comparing prices, the Madstad actually came in less expensive than many others. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just bought a clockwerks over Christmas and have not had a chance to try it. I think a 13 inch fixed no vent. I'm 5'10 and 3/16. How did it work for you as far as buffeting and rain protection? I Do not like stock excrept for rain/ wind protection. Buffeting is bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Madstad works well, in the rain it works as well as other shields I have used

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my bike with the Klockwerks.
It's a nice shield for me, it's my wife on the back that gets too much wind.
Good to hear good things about the Madstad. I have one on my DL1000 VStrom, and love it .
I will look at Madstad .

Attachments

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
88 Posts
Moto, I couldn't agree more, its just no good at all when the wife has too much wind! (Sorry) ;). Joking aside I like the stock shield.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You may already have them but Long before changing windshields, I tried the Baker Built Hand Wings. They mount under the rear view mirror housings.

My passengers agree that they did a terrific job of diverting the wind blast away from them. I think the passenger gets far more wind coming around the fairing than they ever get coming over the top. I have a much wider shield (buy not higher) than stock (Kuryakyn no longer make it) plus the hand wings and she is much happier.

Just my 2cents

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
So, you guys that have the MADSTAD, how is it for scratch resistance and cleaning? I'll be moving to an area that will be dusty and I'd like the screen to survive that condition and resist scratching. Do they offer scratch resistant coatings like the F4? I'm all but sold on the MADSTAD if it'll survive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'm leaning towards Madstad too.
I have one on my VStrom, and I love it.
It's held up well

·
Registered
529 Posts
You may already have them but Long before changing windshields, I tried the Baker Built Hand Wings. They mount under the rear view mirror housings.

My passengers agree that they did a terrific job of diverting the wind blast away from them. I think the passenger gets far more wind coming around the fairing than they ever get coming over the top. I have a much wider shield (buy not higher) than stock (Kuryakyn no longer make it) plus the hand wings and she is much happier.

Just my 2cents

Good Luck
This is good advice if you don't already have them.

I am just shocked how much of a difference these make in changing the wind dynamics and ability to deal with just about any weather situation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a F4 +4 now you got me looking at these.

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Madstad. It is easy to clean however, it scratches a lot easier than the Vstream I had previously. I have a dark tint so it may show the scratches better/worse than a clear.
The Vstream still looked new at 30k.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As far as clarity and scratch resistance, check out the F4 website. There you will see the windshield wiper with steel wool demonstration!:yes:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For clarity and the ultimate in scratch resistance I do not thing you can do better than F4. Comes in all sizes along with great customer service.

Reactions: F4Customs
1 - 17 of 17 Posts