GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the standard Tulsa for about 3 years. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm about 6 ft 3 with a long torso, the top of my helmet is in the windstream. I'm thinking of replacing this shield with either the extra tall tulsa, or possibly a winbender, or maybe a Cee-Baileys.
I can either look thru the shield or look over the shield. I'm curious if the windbender h/p will work for the taller riders, firecreek said he could make me a windbender 3 inches taller than stock. Your opinions appreciated.
JD :biker:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Tulsa

One word TULSA !!!. If you get the x-tall you won't have the wind problem. Tulsa takes a back seat to no one when it comes to quality & customer service. Yes Holly & I are VERY happy with our Tulsa's.

·
Young Buck
2,567 Posts
Asking a question like this... is like asking which oil is best... :22yikes:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
or which color is fastest.

you could ask 10 guys and get 10 answers as to what they like. i have had two other bikes with clearview shields, so i just got a new plus 4 with the vent.

about the best way to compared would be go to a big function and test sit some bikes, maybe a cruise on a buddies would help also.

loren

·
Registered
115 Posts
JD said:
I have had the standard Tulsa for about 3 years. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm about 6 ft 3 with a long torso, the top of my helmet is in the windstream. I'm thinking of replacing this shield with either the extra tall tulsa, or possibly a winbender, or maybe a Cee-Baileys.
I can either look thru the shield or look over the shield. I'm curious if the windbender h/p will work for the taller riders, firecreek said he could make me a windbender 3 inches taller than stock. Your opinions appreciated.
JD :biker:
I'm 6'1'' tall, long torso (I require "tall" shirts, overwise the tails pull out), and use a Diamond custom seat that sits me an inch and a half taller than stock. I keep my windbender HP at it's highest setting (bottom section at top notch, and also top section at top notch) when riding interstate. It works well for me. When doing metro or all secondary road riding, I usually drop the top section down a notch, which lets me see right in front of the cycle better.

If you're using the stock seat, I'd guess the standard Windbender HP would work for you, but if you plan on, or are, using a custom seat, you might want to consider the special 3" taller Windbender.

The Windbender is a big change from your present Tulsa, as you MUST look over it. It has a "flip" at the top that distorts if you try to look through it.

My wife uses a Tulsa, and loves it. I use a Windbender, and love it. (Either is a huge improvement over the stock shield!) Different strokes ....

·
Chard Member
13,219 Posts
Buy & Try...... Not a great option is it JD? LOL...

I still like the factory shields. I like the factory shield better now that I have a vent. I sit head & shoulders above the top of the shield. I guess I like the fresh air and a grasshopper up my nose at times!

If you remember, I used to cut all my 1500 shields down 2"s as soon as I got them! Yep, I'm different! :D

Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Which windshield is best?

No question which is best. It is the one you are
sitting behind as you are going down the road,
just coming out of a left and going into a right,
with a clear air mountain view straight ahead.

Makes you feel like a dog in the back of a pickup.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Windshields

In all the windshield discussions, no one mentioned Clearview. They have not been actively advertsing the GL1800 shield, but they make several heights including stock, +2", +4" and -1.5". The shields are also a few inches wider than stock as well.

Their shields are top quality. Many ST11, ST13 and Concours riders have been using Clearview for years (myself included). They also make cruiser replacement shields.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with Clearview as I have been a dealer for them since 2000.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
different strokes for different folks

I tried the windbender hp for a while, i was sorry it did not work out for me, i liked the adjustability of this shield.
I ended up with the extry tall tulsa shield and now i'm happy.
If you are happy and your wife is happy then it looks like we're set to go. Ride safe no matter which one you got. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Interesting.... I've the taller Honda shield.. at six foot four, I can't say I'm happy with it.... looks like Tulsa is the next purchase... thank you for info.............

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Shileds

I have owned all three on my 2001 and 2004. Currently have the CBailys, I think they are all good but for slightly different reason.

Very Happy with the C Baileys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another question about these is how do you tell how tall you need? After the BMW I find the GL1800 to be very turbulent at higher speed with the stock windshield. These things have the same range of adjustment? So a +2 would be +2 at the down and +2 at the up position?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts