GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now a week into my ownership of an '04 Titanium ABS Wing....and I LOVE it!!!!!

I am, though having one problem. My head is getting beat around pretty badly at the higher speeds. I know I need a better windshield and I come before you asking from your experience what I should get.

I am 6'2" - but only have a 29.5" inseam!!! My eyes sit a little over 5" higher than the stock OEM shield.

Thanks for your help!!!

Gordon

PS If it is of any help...I am coming off from riding a Burgman 650 scooter. I had the Clearview XXL on it and it was still NOT tall enough for me!!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Gordon,
You do realize the stock windshield raises up don't you? I am not trying to be a smart aleck but a friend of mine rode his for several months before he knew he could adjust it. I am also 6'2 but with a 32" inseam so my eyes should only be 2-1/2 " lower than yours from the stock seat. With the sheild all the way up I look through it. I set it that way for the rain and highway cruising. You may want to get someone with a level to help you measure the distance from the top of the shield to your eyeballs to help you know exactly what type of additional height you need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
WV,

As "Preacher" stated above, you simply can't go wrong with Tulsa. I have had three of them now; one on each of my Wings - '88 & '89 GL1500's, and now a '04 GL 1800.

Depending on just how tall you are, Tulsa has both a "Tall" and an "Extra Tall" offerings. They also give you the option of tinted or clear. My first one was clear, but the other 2 have been tinted, and I love 'em!

Check them out . . . talk to Allen, he is a super guy and provides great customer service.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
You would most likely enjoy a Cee Bailey's shield. I had a +4" shield that I could just see over in the down position on a seat that raised me up about 2". I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam. If you call them, I think they can make it as high as a +6" and it still is adjustable.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/gl1800ws.html

F4customs makes a +4" that is adjustable 1" and is much more resistant to any other shields out there.

http://www.f4customs.com/

·
Registered
931 Posts
Gordon --

First, windshield preference is a very subjective issue.

I've tried both the Windbender SP and HP shields but both proved too noisy for me above ~70mph. (Yet there are many folks out there for which this noise is not a problem for them.)

I've been using a Tulsa regular w/vent for a little over a year. I prefer not looking through a shield but as long as I keep the Tulsa clean and polished, it's been fine -- although I've not ridden in heavy fog with it. It does yield a relatively quiet and smooth ride, at least up to 105mph...

I have no other experience with other aftermarket shields.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Gordon,

I have the standard Tulsa, which is about 2"+/- taller than the OEM. They also have an extra tall with is about 5" taller than the OEM, but it does lean back towards the driver. You will hit your head on the shield if you lean too far forward while throwing your leg over the bike.

I really like the Tulsa and it is quieter for the SO. I am 5'11" and look through the shied. See if you can finds another rider with the aftermarket shields and ask if you can sit on their bikes.

B

·
0 Posts
Gordon Parr said:
I come before you asking from your experience what I should get.
Uh-Oh, another opinion question.

Well, I might as well put in a plug for the F4 Customs windshield. You can get it in a +4" which is of course 4" taller than OEM and it is also an inch or so wider. So it will decrease buffeting.

One of the best things about the F4 is the way it sheds rain so You CAN look through it when riding in the rain.

Check it out at http://www.f4customs.com/

·
Registered
696 Posts
tulsa is the best by far tried them all its the best for me hands down and nice people to meet and good customer service.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Gordon Parr said:
I am now a week into my ownership of an '04 Titanium ABS Wing....and I LOVE it!!!!!

I am, though having one problem. My head is getting beat around pretty badly at the higher speeds. I know I need a better windshield and I come before you asking from your experience what I should get.

I am 6'2" - but only have a 29.5" inseam!!! My eyes sit a little over 5" higher than the stock OEM shield.

Thanks for your help!!!

Gordon

PS If it is of any help...I am coming off from riding a Burgman 650 scooter. I had the Clearview XXL on it and it was still NOT tall enough for me!!!
You and I both are about the same height and inseam and I also sat around 4 to 5 inches above OEM shield. I went with the +4 F4 Windshield. The F4 is really clear and no buffetting. It's a little more money, but the trade off of not having to worry replacing it because of nicks or scratches made it well wortht the money. This photo of my bike has the F4 +4 shield installed.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
OK..guess I'll toss Clearview Windshields into the mix.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/

I'm 6', with a 30" inseam and can just see over the stock windshield at it's highest setting, so I went with a Clearview +4. Lowered, I can see over the +4, and at it's highest setting, it is about even with my eyebrows, or maybe a tad higher. The clarity is excellent, and, in my opinion, easy on the eyes to look thru. It stands upright, as did the original stock shield and you don't have to practice NOT bumping your head when mounting the bike, as you had to learn when using the older style Tulsa windshield, altho they may have finally changed that.

Clearview is also 3" wider than stock shields, and I believe you can order it taller if you wish. All with the same Honda adjustability.

At 80+ on the freeway, I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Windshield

My first wing had a tall tulsa and I couldn't see over it. I liked looking through the shield. When I bought an 1800 with a standard windshield I kept it all the way up but the wind still rocked my head at speed. Two years ago at the Hoot I bought the Tulsa standard shield with light tint. It is a great windshield. However two of my riding buddies have the extra tall windshields. I really love those, especially in light to moderate rain. The water simply blows right over their heads.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I had a Tulsa on my bike for over 40,000 miles. Yes I really liked it. Then I replaced it with a F4 Plus 4" with a vent. The F4 is MUCH better at keeping the wind off me, along with a bunch of other things it does much better then the Tulsa. I have yet to find a down side to the F4. It is the clearest shield I have ever looked through. It can be cleaned with anything and not have to worry about scratches. The air is dead still with the vent closed. With the vent open I get much more air through it then I did with the Tulsa. I don't have to worry about hitting my head or helmet on the windshield like I always did with the Tulsa. The people from F4 are great to work with and take all the time to answer any questions or concerns.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
try this

6 ft 3 with 32 inch inseam, i have the plus 4 standard type tulsa tint with a vent. I like this set up very well. My 2nd choice would be the standard tulsa which works good, but is not as close to your face as the extra tall.
I sold my windbender after 500 miles, hp model.
my last shield was the extra tall tulsa.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Re: Windshield

highdob said:
My first wing had a tall tulsa and I couldn't see over it. I liked looking through the shield. When I bought an 1800 with a standard windshield I kept it all the way up but the wind still rocked my head at speed. Two years ago at the Hoot I bought the Tulsa standard shield with light tint. It is a great windshield. However two of my riding buddies have the extra tall windshields. I really love those, especially in light to moderate rain. The water simply blows right over their heads.
What he said X 2= protection and comfort.For us taller waisted guys the O.E. shield SUX, I swapped mine after the first week. Buy a Tulsa and put those buffeting blues to rest once and for all. 8)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gotta' chime in with my thumbs up :yes1: for the Windbender ST with the electric option.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/index.html

I find it has greatly reduced the buffeting for me and my SO, and with a flip of the switch, I can raise the windshield for higher speeds, and lower for slower and twisties.

That's my .02.

Mike :s13:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I must be mod some kind of mutant. Even with the windshield all the way down, I cannot see over it!

Good thread! I may have to look at the F4 again. Any links to them? (ooops, never mind - I see a link in one of the posts above - thanks!)

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you with the F4...can you still look over the top of the shield?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've got the Hondaline Tall + their side winglets.

I get good protection, have the entire height adjustment available, but when in the full-up position it can wobble around a bit when in heavy highway traffic buffetting (in traffic with 18-wheelers) and lets lots of air flow in above the mirrors due to the cut out.

I had a Tulsa Tall (+4) but did not like the lean angle and how close the shield came to my head. I realize it is more aerodynamic, but at 6'4" and 34" inseam I sit tall in the saddle to start with and don't like the windshield that close to my face.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts