GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found 2 wings on craigs list this morning and i know nothing about either.there's a 97 SE with 7900 miles for $7500 and there's an 83 for $1800. both are listed as excellent condition. should i hit the ATM or run hard the other way?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i jut got a call back on the 83 @1800 dollars. He has no idea how many miles are on it as the odo is broke. just serviced with new belts.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The 97 sounds like a better buy to me but watch the board and you can pick up an 1800 for close to the same money.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wasn't there just recently an '01 or '02 here that had been reduced to $7200? If I were in the market I'd be looking closely at that one, if it's still available.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Find a way to swing a new wing. There are deals to be had out there and you should be able to find an 1800 in the $10k range if you look and/or are willing to buy high mileage bike. I think $9k for a 01-02 wing with 30k miles is very do-able, but you'll need to look on Craigslist. Bikes on here are usually not a great value and members prop up the bike value for some reason with "Great bike for price" posts and so on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You going to ride it or make a trophy out of it. Around town and short hops the 83. If you're going to do some real riding and maybe carry a passenger or pull a trailer the 97. I agree the 97 is pricey but then money talks and BS walks. Show some green, say 4000-5500 and the bike will probably be yourself. Any higher than that I personally would wait.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
You can find a gently used 2001-2003 GL for around 10K. Pretty damn good buy

·
Registered
758 Posts
If it were me, it's not but if it was.................I'd be making a list of "things" I want on the bike that I'm buying ( assuming I bought used) then I'd be looking for that "type" of bike with those options. You might pay a little more, as Laen says, there's a lot out there, lightly used in the $10K range. I'd also be looking for something that was no older than a 2001. If you are prepared to fly to get the bike, there's lots of good deals out there.

I'd pay more for what I want, rather than less and settle for what I can get, you will regret that decision in the long run, so opt for more cash and get what you want rather than settling for something you don't want.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The '83 is a 1200cc. Had one. Why go back in time. The 1500 is a much better bike. Had one. The 1800 is the best.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got a call back from the dealership in chatttanooga....i'm trading for a '12!!!! :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If .

I'd pay more for what I want, rather than less and settle for what I can get, you will regret that decision in the long run, so opt for more cash and get what you want rather than settling for something you don't want.
A GUY AFTER MY OWN HEART! that's what i did. i always told my son to buy the best and you won't be dissappointed. so there! i've always settled and gone for 'the deal'. i've always mae out financially that way, but this time i buying a keeper so mi'm paying for it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
i found 2 wings on craigs list this morning and i know nothing about either.there's a 97 SE with 7900 miles for $7500 and there's an 83 for $1800. both are listed as excellent condition. should i hit the ATM or run hard the other way?

Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts