GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which would serve me better?

3K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  charleetho 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to change things in my front end. Which would serve me better......PROGRESSIVE MONOTUBE FORK CARTRIDGE KIT or Traxion springs? Please don't say AK-20. They are a good product but I won't even consider them because of the price. The Monotubes are as far as I will go price wise.

Reactions: cycledude
#2 ·
Tom, I'm not a peg dragger, but I had Monotubes installed in 2006 Wing. The difference was amazing. My present Wing has full Traxxion.
I like it very well, but for the price difference I would have to remind myself that I'm an old bluehair!

Glen

!

#3 ·
I would think Progressive Mono-Tubes would have to be better than any springs.

I have had Progressive springs and Traxxion 1.2 springs and Mono-Tubes. I like Mono-Tubes very much.

#6 ·
Yes! But you didn’t have Traxion springs. They come in different stiffness for different weight riders. I’m leaning towards the Monotubes.

#8 · (Edited)
The advantage of trying Monotubes is, no modifications needed, simple installation. Then if you don’t like them try something else and sell the Monotubes. Traxxion requires modification and you can’t go back.
Personally, I’ve had Traxxion & MT and can’t really tell the difference.
PS: I never disabled the ADV and don’t see any reason to do so.

#17 ·
The advantage of trying Monotubes is, no modifications needed, simple installation. Then if you don’t like them try something else and sell the Monotubes. Traxxion requires modification and you can’t go back.
Personally, I’ve had Traxxion & MT and can’t really tell the difference.
PS: I never disabled the ADV and don’t see any reason to do so.
No modification is needed to just install the Traxxion fork springs. You're probably thinking of the full Traxxion AK-20 kit, which does require modification of the left fork tube.

Regardless of which you decide to do, you should plan on replacing the fork bushings while you have it apart, and inspect the left fork leg for barreling. I'd also highly recommend disabling the anti-dive valve.

#10 ·
I used mono tubes for about 75,000 miles, yes when they were new the ride was slightly improved, mine came with a lifetime warranty, the little gas filled shocks eventually leaked and they would bottom out on anything more than a regular bump in the road. Contacted Progressive and they authorized shipping to them for inspection along with the original sales receipt , took about 6 weeks to get back a brandnew set of mono tubes, obviously I wasn’t happy waiting 6 weeks for something so simple so went back to stock and never re installed the mono tubes. Someone on the board contacted me about buying them and I happily sold them and have never missed them.

Boomer if you really want an improved ride I highly recommend taking a test ride on a 2018-2019, the new front end is very impressive, unbelievably smooth !

#11 ·
can't do it ! Won't do it !

Boomer if you really want an improved ride I highly recommend taking a test ride on a 2018-2019, the new front end is very impressive, unbelievably smooth !
The Monotubes are as far as I will go price wise.

It seems this is mutually exclusive

#15 ·
FYI:: BOOMER!!

I prefer Linear springs and have the Traxxion ones that were figured out by Traxxion to be the correct ones for ME on my wing 07 with the info I supplied to them about my riding style and my weight.

They are right on and I have no sag as with the stock progressive or aftermarket Progressive. The engineering of the wound tight Progressive give LESS overall spring travel than a good linear. The two types were tested on a press and very easy to see the difference. and the linear, Traxxion shows stronger than the progressive by design and imho will outlast all the others. It gave my wing a better stance so I now can put it on the center stand with out any problem.

To help you make your decision, I would suggest you call Traxxion and talk to the Tech and get info from him, he will not try to oversell you!! they are very good to work with. They understand that suspension should be custom fitted to the rider just like a seat or tires or bars. And you being of the "MANLY"!! stature that you are! they will give you the correct info you need.

I just bought the linear springs and for my use they are perfect after about 10,000mi. About $130.00, shipped to me. I do not know if you can ship you shocks to them and they rebuild them, but I think you can?? , Just another option.. Hope this helps good luck with your choice and RIDE SAFE!!!!!

#16 ·
:surprise::lol::lol: I prefer the term: "not so petite" :lol:

You make it hard to decide. I was leaning heavily towards monotubes. 10K is not enough to know if they will sag. Most usually they start at about 20-25K. They do it so slow most people don't even know that they are wore out. Every once in awhile I have always checked my fork travel by holding front brake pushing forward and then after it has settled pulling back. Also as stated above it gets hard to put it on a center stand. I have put if off for awhile. At this time I use a 2x4 under front wheel to get it on the center stand. After returning from Alaska I notice one of my forks was leaking....SOOOO, now is the time, and yes I rebuild my own forks. Thanks Fred H. :bow: It sure helped the first time!!!!! That was money well spent.

#19 ·
If you are of average weight go mono tubes. I had them on our 01 wing and they are vastly better then stock. Still, it had more static sag then ideal.
When it came to our newest wing, 06, I did 1.2k Traxxion springs and disabled the antidive. I picked the springs because I am way above average weight (300lbs) and wanted to see what a proper spring rate would ride like. They work great and the sag is correct.
I'd say if you are less then say 240ish go PMT. If you need a much heavier spring, go Traxxion springs.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Just have the Progressive Springs installed. I had them on my 03 and loved them. I bought an 05 and put the mono tubes in and they were great for twisties but I would never go on a long trip with them. They were way to firm as are the Traxion. I took the mono tubes out and put just the springs in and a world of difference. Still firmer than stock and about 3/4 inch more travel but smoooooth as silk. All balls steel bearing, Progressive springs and a fork brace and it will handle every bit as good as the traxion dynamics but way smoother.

#34 ·
I changed to Monotubes and am less than thrilled. I also own a Moto Guzzi Norge. When I upgraded the suspension on Sophia, the difference was night and day. The upgrade(?) on the 'Wing was OK, but not spectacular. It was more of a step better but not HOLY S@*T is that terrific.

YMMV

jdg

#36 ·
Thanks for the heads up cycledude. This is straight from Progressive web site.

Progressive Suspension Logo
Just Ask 1-877-690-7411
Type Your Search Here...
Submit
My Cart
Harley
Metric
Off Road
Start Here - Your Ride
MONOTUBE CARTRIDGE KIT FOR GL1800 & F6B

Affordable high performance front suspension has finally made its way to the Honda GL1800 & F6B. Progressive Suspension’s state of the art Monotube Cartridge Fork Kit represents a high point of touring bike front-end handling. The kit features a set of gas charged Monotube dampers and a pair of Gold Wing proven custom tuned fork springs and replaces the antiquated open bath internals of the stock fork.

Monotube style damping improves ride comfort as well as improving front end stability, cornering and bottoming control. The kit fits 2001 though current Honda Gold Wings and all F6B models, and replaces most of the internal parts of the fork. No mods are required to install and it retains the factory anti-dive function. 1” lowered option available for F6B models.

We also stand behind our Fork Cartridge Kits with a limited lifetime warranty.

Ford all the way!!!

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
Good decision on the MTs. FWIW I had my favorite dealer install MTs on my 01 when they first came out. The mechanic was convinced I completely ruined the ride of my bike. Way to firm a ride.
Some people prefer soft squishy suspension but also rattles the whole bike on sharp bumps.

On the other topic. Contemplating. Ride my wing or drive my 1998 300,000 mile 5.4l triton V8 F150 to work today? First On Race Day.
Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.