GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding an XM radio to the bike and debating on which unit to buy. I'm leaning more to the Delphi XM SKYFi because it can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle using the Vehicle Adapter Kit. The SKYFi can even go into the house using the Home Adapter Kit or the SKYFi Audio System boombox. Looking at XM's website they only show a cassette adapter as an input into the vehicles factory radio. I know several are running this unit on your GL1800's, is there another way to hook it in? Will it interface with the Aux input in the left fairing pocket? I would like to hear the pro's & con's of all XM models. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I am partial to the Commander. Easy to use controls (the easiest I have found). Big display. Have previously used the Roadie and the Pioneer units.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hi Geeze, welcome to the board!

You should get lots of opinions on this topic, it's a pretty popular option.

There's some nice product comparisons at [url]www.twowheelradio.com[/url] that explains some of the advantages and disadvantages to each style of radio, as they pertain to motorcycles.

My preference is for the SkyFi unit: it's designed to be moved between locations, where the Roady's connectors are not. The Commander is a nice unit, but requires a separate box and is not portable. The audio output ports on all the units can plug directly into the AUX input connection (some bikes will require a ground loop isolator to remove the engine noise you might pick up). The Commander unit has RCA jacks that will need an adaptor cable for the line-out feature. You can connect an FM Modulator to the SkyFi and Roady units as well.

I've found that there are as many opinions on the "best radio" as there are on the fastest color :lol:

Good luck with your choice!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
sat radio is getting just like oil. anyone you get will be fine. get what you like.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It's pretty hard to beat the versatality and mobility of the SkyFi. Use it in 4 different locations and can switch it between any of them in seconds. Easy to read display, easy to change the settings or dial what I want. As small as you would want it and yet not too small to handle with big awkward gloves on.

Definitely 2 thumbs up on the SkyFi even though that have more recent models out too.

DaleC

·
Registered
139 Posts
Geeze,
I have the commander,small in size,color of unit matches the dash color gray/black,looks like it belongs on the bike,big display,plug it into the aux.port,(you can pick up an adapter/union at radio shack),all of the radio's are easy install. You'll love it :luf1:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those of you with the Commander, where do you have your faceplate mounted and how do you protect it in the rain? Where did you install the tuner box? Can anyone post a photo of their Commander installed?
Those of you with the SKYFi, will it light up in any color other than red? I think blue or green backlighting would be more pleasant to look at. Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
XM

Have been using the SkyFi unit for two years now. I have hookups on the bike, the shop and in the house. For the bike I used the car hookup, placed in over the Goldwing logo (between the radio knobs and the ignition key), plugged in the aux cable from the bike where the cassette would have plugged in, put the antenna in the turtle shell...and she works like a charm.
Some of the guys have used the display version, mounting it velcroed to the bottom of the left speaker grill. This allows the display to be pulled off the velcro and placed in the left glove box when it rains. They both got theirs before I got mine and now wish they had gotten the SkyFi unit as it allows you to use it in a variety of settings without having to pay an additional fee.
One of the guys placed his antenna in the right glove box..with much better reception. ( I will probably do this at some point). I cannot praise XM enough. It certainly has enhanced the riding experience for me. Crystal clear no matter where you are.
Happy XMing!
See Ya
dave

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And I used a Roady unit, because it is the smallest of the Delphi's.
I mounted it on top of the brake reservior after changing the cap
to a flat top unit (avail as a billet aluminum cover from HDL, or do
it the hard way and make your own). I put the antenna right over
the Roady to keep it portable, and extended the stock ACC connector
to get to the Roady from the pocket. Now, to change it to the car, I
just pop off the mount, grab the antenna, unplug the power and go.
Same if it rains - put a baggie over it, or put it in the fairing pocket.

And Jon is right - there is as many opinions on these as there is on
oil or tires. I am sure the SkyFi is more versitile, the Roady is smaller,
but the big question is, "What do YOU want?" Then do it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a ShyFi but it is being used in my truck now and I'm getting a XM Commander for the Wing because of the smaller size of the head unit. I will post picuters of my install as soon as I get it mounted, it should arrive here today.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

I like the compact size of the Roady. And it is easy to take from the bike, to the car, and to the office. It is easy to use, even in rental cars. There are no bases needed (each costing $60 extra), like with the SkyFi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts