GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!

I'm ready to upgrade from my 1995 Goldwing SE, but I'm not sure which year to purchase. I want an 1800. I have found a few options. 2003 yellow with only 13,000 miles (I'm concerned about too low of miles for lack of use and dry gaskets), 2006 purple my favorite color, I'm not sure about some of the features that had recalls. I have loved my 1500. My wife rides with me and cargo room is important without a trailer. I have a large windshield with vent, wind-wings, heated grips for cooler months alone and hook-up for heated gear. Does the cruise work at 85mph on the 1800. I have always been told not to ride an 1800 unless I was ready to buy one.
Please help with your experience. I don't think I can go too wrong, (Goldwing is King), but I'm not sure which year would be best.
Thanks,
Rooster

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I don’t think there’s a best year or model.

I almost alway buy used. I tend to go at least a few years old but less than 10 unless I’m looking for a classic. I go buy condition and history. I prefer private sale so I can meet the previous owner and get a better feel for the history. I’ve never had any problems buying used.

Enjoy the hunt. It really doesn’t happen that often.

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
I am partial to the 2006, for I just sold my well-loved 2006 with 320,000 miles. But more importantly, but the one with ABS. I personally would not touch a GL1800 without ABS. Aside from that, buy the latest model with ABS that you can afford. Mileage is not too important on a GL1800.

Glen

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
2010 because it is the last year they were made in the USA.

I hear the 2012 - 2017 are better except for softer paint.

I also hear the 2018 - 2019 are AWESOME, except for softer paint, less protection from the elements and less luggage space.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
2015 Red & Black Anniversary Edition...

Reactions: Rhys and TrapDog

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
2001-2004 had some frame cracking issues. There was a recall for inspection and some bikes were repaired by Honda. There is a way to check to see of the recall was done.

2005 is really good. That's what I have.

2005 (2004?) and up have lighted handlebar controls.

In 2006, the radiators were made slightly larger for better cooling in "parade" mode, the stereo was improved and a higher output alternator was added (I think 1300w as opposed to 1100w)...maybe to drive the stereo amp.

2010 was the last year for "made in the USA".

There is no 2011.

2012-2017 were made in Japan. They had re-styled fairing and saddle bags and, somewhere in there, got a change in the gear box that supposedly fixed the ghost shifting issue that some 2001-2010 models experienced.

Then there's the next gen 2018-2019. Totally different bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
05NWL's advice is good. I have an '08 Airbag with 70,000 miles. It is a superb ride in every regard. I would suggest one of those if that works for your budget.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rooster, it's all about your budget. Plenty to pick from.
I've had a 07, 12 and now a 15, no issues, loved all three of them.
Without a doubt though, the 15 looks the best!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well said 05nwl.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Because of possible frame issues I would not recommend 2001-2004.
Most 2001-2004 do not suffer from frame issues but if you happen to get stuck with one you are pretty much screwed because it costs more to fix it than what the bike is worth.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
2016 and 2017 did not require the brake recall.
I would not buy an ABS bike for my own reasons. Not saying they are bad. Just reasons.
2012 on had complaints because of less luggage space.
I am waiting for a 2017 that fits my needs to come on the market. Last year to get a non-ABS GW.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
If you want the USB input to the audio system, it needs to be 12 or newer.

The transmission gear profile update happened with the 2014 model.

Later versions of the Nav system, are better than the early ones (we had both '08 and '14). I'm not sure what year it changed.
Of course early wings did not have air bag or Navigation available.

Early ones were either ABS or not-ABS.

Later ones came in 4 levels. They are sequential (you cannot at abs on a later version without getting Nav, and you can't get an airbag without abs....)
Level2 adds nav
Level3 adds abs
Level4 adds airbag

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
HELP!!!!

I'm ready to upgrade from my 1995 Goldwing SE, but I'm not sure which year to purchase. I want an 1800. I have found a few options. 2003 yellow with only 13,000 miles (I'm concerned about too low of miles for lack of use and dry gaskets), 2006 purple my favorite color, I'm not sure about some of the features that had recalls. I have loved my 1500. My wife rides with me and cargo room is important without a trailer. I have a large windshield with vent, wind-wings, heated grips for cooler months alone and hook-up for heated gear. Does the cruise work at 85mph on the 1800. I have always been told not to ride an 1800 unless I was ready to buy one.
Please help with your experience. I don't think I can go too wrong, (Goldwing is King), but I'm not sure which year would be best.
Thanks,
Rooster
2006 purple? Custom paint job?

If people are going to start talking levels I'll include this:

I made this guide a while back:

2001-2005: ABS or Non-ABS

Early 2006:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HP): Add Comfort Package
Level 3 (HPN): Add Navigation
Level 4 (HPNA): Add ABS

Late 2006-2008:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HPN): Add Comfort Package, Navigation
Level 3 (HPNA): Add ABS
Level 4 (B): Add Airbag

2009-2010:
Level 1 (HPM): Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2 (HPNM): Add Navigation/Weather/XM
Level 3 (HPNAM): Add ABS
Level 4 (BM): Add Airbag

2012-2017:
Level 1: Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2: Add Navigation/Weather/XM/Trip Planner
Level 3: Add ABS
Level 4: Add Airbag

My 2006 was a Level 4 when I bought it... Airbag wasn't available yet. So if you know GoldWings all you need to know is the top level item and year to know everything that is on a Wing. But most don't know so it's better to forget about the "levels" and just list the items on the bike.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts