GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I wish someone still made a fully manual battery charger for a price whithin reason. There still may be chargers made this way, but not the norm. I remember Shumacher used to make a charger that was awesome, you put in your own amps ect and it just charged at that rate, knobs you turn to set amps and volts, no automatic crap. I suppose though that the thought of doing anything manual turned off a lot of buyers, and opened the door for operator error.

I know most people don't have access to this, but being in electronics for years I acquired a DC bench power supply with CV (constant voltage) and CC (constant current) modes......
When I charge a new battery I charge it with this power supply in CC mode which I can just dial in the preset current level with a higher voltage setting and off it goes.

A person can pick up a smaller DC power supply like this for around $70 on Amazon........but as you said, it is a totally manual operation.

·
Registered
16,478 Posts
Knocking on wood here; but so far I have not had any problem initializing a new bottle supplied (BS) battery with a Deltran Tender, even the "Jr." which has a paultry .75 amp full on rate. Well, not unless you count a very slow full charge time as a problem. I typically place the electrolyte bottle on the battery in a safe location and let it sit there for 24 hours before sealing and charging. I notice the batteries are almost at full charge even before adding the Deltran Tender and that may explain why I have not had the problem since the already sealed and charged versions may have been last charged months ago, needing a deeper charge before ready to use.

prs

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I shop at battery-stuff.com and have 3 stinger lithium batteries and not one problem with them. They fit, are much lighter and no sulfuric acid. The rest of my bikes will get them as the lead batteries need replacement. They don't cost much more than a good lead acid battery. I had an X2 power lead acid battery last 10 years in my CBR 1100XX so I'm not against the lead acid batteries. Just another option for you to consider.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The cost of one of the lithium batteries would allow me to buy 3 Yuasa batteries on sale. However, if the characteristics of the LiFEPO4 batteries work for you, that is great. If you use them now, the price should come down for me later. Yes, I'm cheap!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The 1st GYZ20L battery arrived (12 days) from Amazon and the case was cracked in 2 places (virtually NO protective packaging); but NO leaks. Reordered (Tucker Rocky via Amazon) and rec'd it in 3 days. Anyone interested in the cracked case battery ($20 + shipping)?. Does not leak and has full charge.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Just for info, once I also got an Agm battery with a cracked case from the exact same scenerio, no packing, not from the same seller mentioned here. They sent me a good battery and allowed me to "dispose" of the cracked one. I went ahead and ran the cracked one, as it was in a 24yr old motorcycle I didn't particularely care about. Even though no leaks and the battery worked fine it caused some acid damage all over around the battery box. I suppose vapors of acid come through the cracks and not really advisable to use cracked. Just my experience.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 1st GYZ20L battery arrived (12 days) from Amazon and the case was cracked in 2 places (virtually NO protective packaging); but NO leaks. Reordered (Tucker Rocky via Amazon) and rec'd it in 3 days. Anyone interested in the cracked case battery ($20 + shipping)?. Does not leak and has full charge.
Could the crack be sealed with some desolved ABS, applied to the crack? I've never tried a repair on a battery case but ABS in a paste form will repair damaged body panels on our bikes.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I have no idea if the "vapors" will leak or if the cracks can be sealed. I just hate the idea of tossing it when it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I was going to wait until spring actually came here in Michigan to get a battery. But this is to good of price to pass up
Heck yea! As long as you don't add the acid to this new battery, it will last for many years....[My battery in my bike now], sat for approx four years in my garage /still in the original package before I added the new acid, and placed it in my bike three years ago......It's still going strong! In fact yesterday I started my bike for the first time since October (when I put her away for hibernation season) and I'm happy to say that I had a zero cranking time B4 she started right up.. I then took her for a 35 mile ride on the highway, just to heat her up, and check for any problems... NON found!!
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Heck yea! As long as you don't add the acid to this new battery, it will last for many years....[My battery in my bike now], sat for approx four years in my garage /still in the original package before I added the new acid, and placed it in my bike three years ago......It's still going strong! In fact yesterday I started my bike for the first time since October (when I put her away for hibernation season) and I'm happy to say that I had a zero cranking time B4 she started right up.. I then took her for a 35 mile ride on the highway, just to heat her up, and check for any problems... NON found!!
Ronnie
The GYZ20L is factory activated - filled, sealed and charged at the Yuasa factory.
Same exact battery delivered with the 2018+ Goldwings so the dealer does not have to mess with activation or charging.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yea, the battery is ready to use right away, just like a battery you buy for a car. All you need to do is check DC volts. If it's 12.4v or higher, install and ride. Less than 12.4 best to charge first, but charging not critical like on other batteries because it's factory activated. So in other words this battery should be put in soon after purchase. Not advisable to buy and store for years before install like the older AGM you fill yourself.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts