GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son will graduate from Navy cooking school soon. His orders take him to Whidbey Island Naval Air Base waaaay up there in Washington state. Any good riding for me out there? Anything good to do for a young Navy guy? Sights? Attractions? He doesn't ride motorcycles, but he does like the beach, good food, shooting, social life.

Thanks.

I'll forward your suggestions to him.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Some great beaches around the island, good clam digging, pick some oysters, get some dungeness crab too! Beautiful area for riding throughout Skagit and Whatcom valleys. LaConner and Anacortes are close by and nice towns to visit/eat/shop. Take a ferry ride up into the San Juan Islands..........Fire up Google and look around, check out Chuckanut drive to Bellingham and go see Mt. Baker.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Free bus service on the whole island, so for starters get on the free bus and get a free island tour. Great place to ride, great fishing, skiing and riding. And if he ends up in jail I'll take care of him for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do not forget to to over to the Olympic Peninsula and ride out to the ocean via hwy 101 around Lake Cresent. This is my backyard and it is amazing. Lots to see and do if the weather is right.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
A beautiful location to be in:
- Whidbey island is great
- hurricane ridge
- close to Seattle
- close to Vancouver Island
- do the Cascade loop

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lots to do on Whidbey and surrounding area. Go to Greenbank Farms for Loganberry dessert wine. Coupeville for the Knead and Feed restaurant (lunch). Deception Pass is the place to propose for marriage (no pun intended, it's awesome). Take a day trip up Hwy 20 along the Skagit River or Winthrop for lunch. You will pass views of glaciers, not to mention some of the best m/c roads.

Weather? Summer doesn't start until after the 4th of July but spring is wet/sunny/wet. The Gales of November will shut down fall like a hammer but real hard freezes are rare.

Watch out for deer on Whidbey especially, day or night.

Enjoy!

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Drive N to Deception Pass. No matter how bad you want to jump off the bridge and go swimming, don't ... the water is to cold, the is current way to strong, and the bridge is too high. Then head to Anacortes and take the ferry to Orcas Island. Then drive to Moran State Park and walk up to the tower. The sceenry from there is rated the best ocean/land view in the world. Make sure you check the ferry schedules.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Drive N to Deception Pass. No matter how bad you want to jump off the bridge and go swimming, don't ... the water is to cold, the is current way to strong, and the bridge is too high. Then head to Anacortes and take the ferry to Orcas Island. Then drive to Moran State Park and walk up to the tower. The sceenry from there is rated the best ocean/land view in the world. Make sure you check the ferry schedules.

That whole area is incredably sceenic. Take a camera with a long lens. If you make it to Friday Harbor, there is a state park on the West end of that island that is the most likely place on Earth to stand on land and view a whale swimming by. You might need a whole weekend to do all that, but that's ok ... grab a tent and a book of matches and go camping.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I had a great uncle that worked on that bridge,and my Grandfather was the foreman of the crew that buit the tower on Orcas!
A lot of the Washington State Parks were built by CCC crews in the 30s and 40s and a lot of them are great places to camp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts