GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bike apart a bit to do the cruise control adjustment.
i have seen somewhere a way to illuminate the disp/info & trip/dim buttons and heater controls. Looking at the back of it, there does not seem to be an obvious solution. Anyone do this?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
​They are not designed to be lit up, Honda was afraid of reflection on the windscreen at night. Electrical Connection sells a kit for doing that though.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone do this? Looked at the pics in the install, it seem like it just kind of lights up the general area rather than backlighting the buttons...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
anyone do this? Looked at the pics in the install, it seem like it just kind of lights up the general area rather than backlighting the buttons...
As far as I know that is the only kind of kit out there. Used to be some stick on kind that flaked and came off.

To backlight those buttons would be a lot of work. Besides designing a means to mount LED lights you would also have to design new buttons so the light would shine though and actually light them up.

One way is small parts sometimes the LED is simply held in place with silicone. But it would do no good if the light cannot shine through the button, or maybe right under it. That would most likely be too bright, so some kind of opaque window in each button would have to be manufactured.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Like this :?: They work great :thumbup:.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The buttons on this bike that are not backlight just have the lettering painted on. True backlight buttons have clear lettering that line can shine through.

The best you can do is to light up the general area around the buttons so that you know where they are at in the dark. Lewis does it from behind. You could also shine some faint LED's from above, such as under the handlebars.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Practice memorizing where your buttons are. No need to look.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, I just recently installed Electrical Connection's kit on my 2010 GL1800 .......
I didn't use any extra plastic angle steps. I thought about it and thought of a couple of small different ways to do it. But then I thought, "hell, I'm over thinking this simple little task" ......
Installed it exactly as per the instructions and all worked out well. And, it does work pretty darn good ......

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tried these with a Tulsa windshield, not good, reflected right at my eye sight line, and had to remove them. Might be fine with a stock shield.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
How about posting a lighted picture at night so we can see how it works?
I tried the photography thing. Although I have excellent cameras, I don't know much about settings :cry:. Anyway the buttons and dials are well illuminated around the edges and are easy to see like in electrical connections link. Of course function lettering can't be seen since the white letters are solid paint as stated by LarryM :bow:.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, I just recently installed Electrical Connection's kit on my 2010 GL1800 .......
I didn't use any extra plastic angle steps. I thought about it and thought of a couple of small different ways to do it. But then I thought, "hell, I'm over thinking this simple little task" ......
Installed it exactly as per the instructions and all worked out well. And, it does work pretty darn good ......
I searched on the EC site but couldn't find the LED kit. Do you have the link?

Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts