GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see where several people have used and recommends the use of the Sears Craftsman lift.

I haven't tried to use my lift yet for one reason. It appears that the irregular bottom of the engine case that looks like it hangs down lower than the frame will pose a problem.

Am I seeing things wrong? I must be or otherwise you guys with the Craftsman lift wouldn't be using it.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
If you place the rear arm of the lift under the pivots of the ceenter stand, that will give you sufficient side to side support to keep the bike from tipping to either side. The front arm will contact the engine case and supoport it just fine.
I find the bike to be sufficiently stable side to side. Some people, inlcuding myslef on some occations, have also used tie down straps to give the bike additional side to side support when on the lift.
JMHO

·
Registered
880 Posts
My bike on the Sears lift.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Excellent photos Hawk.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
We usually leave the sidestand down. But when sliding the stand under the bike from the right side, you have to pull the bike vertical to get the bars to clear. Also put the suspension up on high to be max clearance between floor and bike belly. It is a close fit.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Notice that Hawk has a 2 x somehting on the floor under the side stand. I make the process of getting the lift under the bike much easier, in addition to raising the suspension, and it makes the it much easier to get the bike to verticle when beginning to lift.
I do the same thing and it helps a great deal.

B

·
0 Posts
When I used my Sears jack on 2 wheels, I had the Wing on the side stand and stood on the right side and actually lifted the wing higher for clearance for the jack by pushing the Wing against the side stand.

Now I use it with my trike and a Sears aluminum floor jack and stands

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Don,

Don't you do any work in that garage at all? Way too clean.

Glad to see that you have the snow shovel ready for action...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
CJS said:
... The front arm will contact the engine case first but will also contact the frame on one side or the other. ....
It's important to note that there is no frame to the side of the engine... but there are two easily damaged header pipes. I would strongly advise against using the jack on these pipes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dawg how does the Pit bull lift you sell work? Where are the lift points on the bike? and jack? Is there an adaptor plate Do you have any pictures to post to show?

Jamie

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
With Progressive front springs and the Fish sidestand and the suspension set within a couple of digits of maximum, I could lift the bike up on its suspension and lean it over on the sidestand and the lift would slide under, although it did rub. With the 70-series rear tire, the lift slides right under, no problemo.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
CJS said:
... The front arm will contact the engine case first but will also contact the frame on one side or the other. ....
It's important to note that there is no frame to the side of the engine... but there are two easily damaged header pipes. I would strongly advise against using the jack on these pipes.
I noticed this also and it scarred me off of using this jack on my wing. Obviously it is doable but I am a coward. :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts