GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 'Wing that whines. Yes, I've got the problem with the intercom whine when and will try to get that fixed but I also have a problem with my new auxiliary lights.

A couple of weeks ago, Bubba1 and I (he was definitely the expert) installed a set of FV1000 auxiliary lights.

These are excellent lights!

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/prod...lights/hid-auxiliary-projector-light-kit.html

I now have a pretty serious whine through the intercom as soon as I turn the ignition switch to "On", even if the lights are off. The sound does not get worse when the lights are switched on and it happens only when the Aux input is selected. When I change from Aux to AM, for example, the whine goes away.

I can hear the whine when I connect ear speakers into the intercom cord (with an adapter) or when I plug them into the J&M intercom cable and I also get the whine when using the J&M headset & speaker combo.

A ground loop isolator has been installed.

What steps can I take to remove the whine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Leave her at home ????

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maybe, as it happens on or off...........

Where is the ground tied in, to the harness at some point or to the frame??

Isolated ground might fix it.

Something before the lights , as the pulse signal from the ballasts only occurs when they are on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Where did you get the Ground Loop Isolator? And where did you install it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not a motorcycle wiring expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, years ago, I owned a high end car stereo shop and was known for pulling the "whine" out of high end car stereos. It always was a ground problem. If all of this happened after installation of your lights, remove the ground and run a temporary wire from the ground wire of your lights to the negative battery terminal. See if this fixes the problem. If so, try to find a ground point closer to the battery. If you used a common ground point that other components are grounded at, try the same process. It's almost always a ground issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are unsuccessful with finding the problem with the ground, this is just an suggestion... Ferrite magnets work great getting rid of the whine in my GL2Way system, maybe they can work for you? Not exactly sure where to try one though, someone with a lot more knowledge may give a suggestion.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had a similar problem after I installed the Eastern Beaver auxiliary fuse block. During the process of the install, I attempted to neaten the wiring under the seat. It turns out, the passenger intercom cable doesn’t like to be too close to any power or ground wires. To be more specific, I had routed the intercom cable directly parallel and bundled to the power for my trailer and trunk power supply. The problem never showed up until I plugged in the wife’s intercom. Once I separated the intercom cable from the others, the whine went away.

To find the problem, I only had to backtrack some of the latest electrical work that I had done.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
high rf bleed

Since you indicated the whine is when you use the AUX input, and since you installed HID lights, what you have is a RF bleed from the ballast into the aux cable. Had a similar issue with HID lights into the radio (especially CB system).

Ways to test - run your aux input, listen for whine. Unplug power to left HID light. Listen for whine. I picked the left one only, and left one first as that is the side closest to the AUX cabling. If whine gone, noisy ballast. If whine still there, swap sides for unplugging light. This will determine side with noisy ballast.

Now to mitigate problem. 1. replace noisy ballast with new one. (which I did). 2. move the AUX cabling and ballast wiring as far away from each other as possible. 3. wrap ballast in alluminum and if further required to reduce hum run a grounding lead from the aluminum shielding to ground. (have had to do this before also). 4. wrap a ferrite core on the AUX line, looping the wire through the core twice (have also had to do this with my gl2way).

HIDs are nice, love 'em. But just like you can hear some fluorescent lights hum, unfortunately some HIDs are the same way.

Almost forgot a 5th remedy. Get a BIKEMP3 player that connects into the CD system. Get handlebar control of your music and no whining.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Responses

Hi everyone, thank you for the great answers.

I've been tied up for most of the week but will read through your answers this weekend.

Ride safely!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had some work done on my bike last week, including modifying the wiring for my auxiliary lights. The shop also put tin foil over the cruise control module - figured it couldn't hurt.

I added a controller for some Gerbings clothing and that involved unhooking the battery.

With all of those changes, the sound is gone! We took a few rides today and there was no whine when I powered them up.

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions!

Ride safely!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts