GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang - 04 with 62 k on the clock. Recent trip to Colo and we have LOTS of noise from what I think is front tire. Pull in clutch and noise is same. Happens going straight. I have about 6k on a Bridgestone front. Darkside with about the same on rear. Noise is a whine, much more than I ever noticed before. Steers good, corners OK. Front is not cupped, but edges show pretty good wear. Your thoughts?

Tia
Shiv

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Does it vary with road speed? engine RPM? Make gentle left and right turns have any effect? Any accessories added lately?

Lot of things it could be, but without more info..........

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whine

it seems to be speed related. Doesn't seem to whine as much in turns. Its almost like a big tire on a 4wd pickup sounds. There's no different feel at all. I need to look at the miles - may be more than I thought, but not down to the wear bars.

Shiv

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
Maybe a front wheel bearing? If so, that would not change when pavement changes. Does it do it on a center stand in gear? Get the frt tire off the ground and spin it by hand. Bearing usually make a howl, moan, or growl.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The wing does sound like a sewing machine at times.

Maybe you need to refill your thread bobbin. :doorag:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The wing does sound like a sewing machine at times.

Maybe you need to refill your thread bobbin. :doorag:
Strange as it sounds.When I had the GTL it too sounded like a wing up front,Same whirring sound.:shrug:
The mufflers told you it was something else though.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
OK gang - 04 with 62 k on the clock. Recent trip to Colo and we have LOTS of noise from what I think is front tire. Pull in clutch and noise is same. Happens going straight. I have about 6k on a Bridgestone front. Darkside with about the same on rear. Noise is a whine, much more than I ever noticed before. Steers good, corners OK. Front is not cupped, but edges show pretty good wear. Your thoughts?

Tia
Shiv
Shiv.If after you raise the front wheel off the ground and you slowly rotate the front tire,and can't feel any cupping or noise from the brakes.

Then you may have one of the four wheel bearings slightly worn out.

The problem here is the Gl1800 has two sets of double bearings on the front wheel.and trying to find out which braring is causing the noise/vibration when it's under load is difficult.

Now if you know the tire is smooth(No defects),and the brakes are normal.
Then I'd just get a set of front wheel bearings and have them swapped out (need a blind bearing remover for this).The good part here is All Balls sells a kit for around $20.
Any bike shop will swap them out for a small fee.

Let us know what you find after checking out the front end.

But don't forget to check the rear tire for smoothness,The rear tire has been known to trick a rider into thinking it's a front tire issue,when it was a defective rear tire causing the problem.So check them both!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whine

Got fooled by the rear ion Metzlers, but the Kuhmo is in good shape. Wll take your advice and redo the front bearngs.. Or just refill the bobbin

Thanks

Shiv

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
Got fooled by the rear ion Metzlers, but the Kuhmo is in good shape. Wll take your advice and redo the front bearngs.. Or just refill the bobbin

Thanks

Shiv
Have you checked them yet by spinning the front wheel when it is off the ground? If they are not bad, taking out OEMs and putting in cheaper ones is not a good choice and have accomplished nothing.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Have you checked them yet by spinning the front wheel when it is off the ground?
That will only verify he has a noise,not tell him which of the 4 bearing if it's them is making the noise!

If they are not bad, taking out OEMs and putting in cheaper ones is not a good choice
You mean like taking out the POS steering head ball bearings,And Putting in Roller bearings that help the rid of the wobble.

I take it you Don't realize that the stock bearings are only sealed on the outer bearings.

All Balls are double sealed on all 4 bearings,What that means is they retain their grease longer than running out from heat like the stock bearing could!.

and have accomplished nothing.
By changing out a set of bearings he would accomplise getting a weaker twice the cost set of bearings for a better set of bearings that will remove his noise if he finds one of the four bearings to be bad.

You should be smart enough to know about preventive maintenance.
Some people will change things due to mileage alone.So changing a set of $20 bearing for a better product is going to hurt how??????????

S

·
0 Posts
You didn't say what kind of tire up front but if it's a BT45 it's probably the tire. They have a rather course tread and tend to make noise. I notice it more at the end of life for these.
Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
I take it you Don't realize that the stock bearings are only sealed on the outer bearings.

All Balls are double sealed on all 4 bearings,What that means is they retain their grease longer than running out from heat like the stock bearing could!.

By changing out a set of bearings he would accomplise getting a weaker twice the cost set of bearings for a better set of bearings that will remove his noise if he finds one of the four bearings to be bad.

Some people will change things due to mileage alone.So changing a set of $20 bearing for a better product is going to hurt how??????????
Let's back the turnip truck up a little bit. Since when are the Goldwing's front wheel bearings inferior or inadequate? Those bearings go bad about as often as a blown engine, which is nearly never.

Gotta hand it to All Balls. They have a great marketing department.

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
That will only verify he has a noise,not tell him which of the 4 bearing if it's them is making the noise!

You mean like taking out the POS steering head ball bearings,And Putting in Roller bearings that help the rid of the wobble.

How did this turn into a steering head thread? This is about whine and helping him identify it. Yes, if he replaces everything that might cause it, it may or may not go away. I'm recommend identifying it and repairing it according. Yes if he can't, then he may need to replace likely possibilities. But he hasn't yet !!!

I take the 5th on aftermarket parts. They are an aftermarket part and have a probability of being packaged wrong, or deffective right out of the box and aftermarket parts will rearly out last OEM. Any mechanic that worked for a dealer knows that. The others are less likely too ... they mostly install aftermarket and have a higher comeback ratio as a result. That also means that he may put in a set of defective bearings and taking out a good set of OEMs. I am not saying that's always the case. Certainly, tapered steering head bearings is an example of such.

All-Balls does seem to have a good marketing department. Good enough for me to stock 3 sets of their steering head bearings, but when it comes to fork seals or wheel bearings I stock OEM. And no I don't stock the fork seals that brag about having a triple seal either.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Let's back the turnip truck up a little bit. Since when are the Goldwing's front wheel bearings inferior or inadequate? Those bearings go bad about as often as a blown engine, which is nearly never.

Larry I know you don't get the chance to work on many mechanical things as I do on a wing,but trust me No turnip truck was involved in what I said.

I still have my stock front wheel bearing to show guys that YES stock bearings go out,and how it's hard to detect which of the four is the culprit?.
Mine went out at 47K (left outer) the other three are as smooth as glass.

My Point apparently you missed wasn't demeaning the stock front wheel bearings at all.It was directed at the weaker design of the smaller contact area (to get a light feeling from the bars) of ball bearings vs roller bearings that carry the load of such a heavy bike easier/smoother that help mask a wobble.

I perferred the double sealed All Balls bearings to keep the grease where it belongs,vs how I saw very little grease in my own stock bearings when I took them out.

How did this turn into a steering head thread? This is about whine and helping him identify it. Yes, if he replaces everything that might cause it, it may or may not go away. I'm recommend identifying it and repairing it according. Yes if he can't, then he may need to replace likely possibilities. But he hasn't yet !!!
It was an anology you also missed!:shrug:
Rotating a wheel may tell you if either of the brake calipers are dragging,But does nothing to tell you which of the front wheels four wheel bearings may be the culprit.

I take the 5th on aftermarket parts. They are an aftermarket part and have a probability of being packaged wrong, or deffective right out of the box and aftermarket parts will rearly out last OEM. Any mechanic that worked for a dealer knows that. The others are less likely too ... they mostly install aftermarket and have a higher comeback ratio as a result. That also means that he may put in a set of defective bearings and taking out a good set of OEMs. I am not saying that's always the case. Certainly, tapered steering head bearings is an example of such.
You have no idea how many NEW OEM parts I have installed that didn't work right out of the box.most were eletronic related.
As for mechanical--I know of one vehicle where three OEM water pumps poured coolant right on the ground.We had to go to an aftermarket pump so the customer could use his vehicle.(that
It doesn't matter if it's OEM or Aftermarket,If you repair vehicles long enough you'll see defective parts out of the box from both divisions.

All-Balls does seem to have a good marketing department. Good enough for me to stock 3 sets of their steering head bearings, but when it comes to fork seals or wheel bearings I stock OEM. And no I don't stock the fork seals that brag about having a triple seal either.
I don't buy into Marketing hype.Never have.
I buy what works best,and if it fails I try the next product.
All Balls bearing work better than OEM for the triple trees.No doubt about it,only draw back as I describe to customers is they slow the steering feel down a bit,the bars don't feel as light.

As for the Rest you sound like Dealer-"We only use OEM" If OEM was so great there wouldn't be as many failures.failures are why dealers are in business.

Yes I too use many OEM parts,but there are a few exceptions where aftermarket parts are the way ito go.

And All balls Triple lip seals vs a double lip OEM seal is the better way to go if you the customer has had a couple seal failures in a couple years.

I think it's cycledude who had had the triple lip seals in the longest in his own bike and no more leaks.

I only suggest the All Balls seals "IF" a custom,er has had repeated OEM seal failures after I closely inspect his fork tubes for scratched.Because a OEM seal isn't working on that bike!

It's not bragging about a product if it cures the issue over what the OEM can't! That's called helping a customer solve his problem.

I won't use a OEM seal that can't fix the customers "repeated" problem,It's wasting my time and their money,and :wrong:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Larry I know you don't get the chance to work on many mechanical things as I do on a wing,but trust me No turnip truck was involved in what I said.

I still have my stock front wheel bearing to show guys that YES stock bearings go out,and how it's hard to detect which of the four is the culprit?.
Mine went out at 47K (left outer) the other three are as smooth as glass.

My Point apparently you missed wasn't demeaning the stock front wheel bearings at all.It was directed at the weaker design of the smaller contact area (to get a light feeling from the bars) of ball bearings vs roller bearings that carry the load of such a heavy bike easier/smoother that help mask a wobble.

I perferred the double sealed All Balls bearings to keep the grease where it belongs,vs how I saw very little grease in my own stock bearings when I took them out.

It was an anology you also missed!:shrug:
Rotating a wheel may tell you if either of the brake calipers are dragging,But does nothing to tell you which of the front wheels four wheel bearings may be the culprit.

You have no idea how many NEW OEM parts I have installed that didn't work right out of the box.most were eletronic related.
As for mechanical--I know of one vehicle where three OEM water pumps poured coolant right on the ground.We had to go to an aftermarket pump so the customer could use his vehicle.(that was just one example of many I can remember)
It doesn't matter if it's OEM or Aftermarket,If you repair vehicles long enough you'll see defective parts out of the box from both divisions.

I don't buy into Marketing hype.Never have.
I buy what works best,and if it fails I try the next product.
All Balls bearing work better than OEM for the triple trees.No doubt about it,only draw back as I describe to customers is they slow the steering feel down a bit,the bars don't feel as light.I have never had a customer say,"You know I like the feel of the OEM bearings better-can you put them back in?"

As for the Rest you sound like Dealer-"We only use OEM"
If OEM was so great there wouldn't be as many failures.failures are why dealers are in business.
Yeah I know things wear out,But some wear out faster than other brands too..lol

Yes I too use many OEM parts,but there are a few exceptions where aftermarket parts are the way to go.

All balls Triple lip seals vs a double lip OEM seal is the better way to go if you the customer has had a couple seal failures in a couple years.

I think it's cycledude who has had the triple lip seals in the longest in his own bike and no more leaks.

I only suggest the All Balls seals "IF" a customer has had repeated OEM seal failures after I closely inspect his fork tubes for scratches.Because a OEM seal isn't working on that bike!

It's not bragging about a product if it cures the issue over what the OEM can't! That's called helping a customer solve his problem.

Why use a OEM seal that can't fix the customers "repeated" problem??.
It's wasting my time and their money,and :wrong:
I stand behing my labor for six months! Most dealers are 90 days.

S

·
0 Posts
I think this was actually a tire problem but ball bearing are the current new thing so here is the solution from the Master.

Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?
Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.
[leans arm on hot engine part]
Fletch: Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Without dragging the OEM vs aftermarket debate any further. IF the OP's description is accurate, this is not a wheel bearing problem. Since bearings are so close to the axle, the linear velocity is too slow to create a whine. Wheel bearings groan, or grind. A mechanical whine indicates high velocity. That means something like the surface of a tire would be the far more likely suspect. Even though the tires spin at the same rpm as the wheel bearings, the linear velocity is many times greater.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

Tia
Shiv
Whine? After all is said and done (especially in this thread) just leave her at home.:joke:

All Balls bearing... only draw back as I describe to customers is they slow the steering feel down a bit,the bars don't feel as light.
:wrong:
Apparently I am the only one who totally disagrees with that statement.

S

·
0 Posts
Tire whine.
I am surprised someone hasn't recommended the $3000 fix or a fork brace. :shrug:

When the time comes, change the tire and it will go away.

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
Tire whine.
I am surprised someone hasn't recommended the $3000 fix or a fork brace. :shrug:

When the time comes, change the tire and it will go away.
I thought the $3000 repair came with a fork brace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts