GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my Wing and joined this board. Just sold my 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture (the "Midnight" one) and am a member since 2006 on a venture forum. Also had a 1985 and a 1987 Venture.

There's a lot of "whiners" on that forum, including myself. Now, I figgured ... GoldWing .. the "Cadillac" of all motorcycles ... the "primo machine" .... yet after reading several posts here, it seems folks whine about these bikes too ... and for some of the same things.

LOL ... someone even razzed me here already about me "whining" ... I know they were only kidding tho (coz I would never whine about my "Cadillac").

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had a 99 RSv, talk ABOUT A REAL WHINER!!!
I like my GL1800 alot. Tho it may have some short comings in some folks eyes,it is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned.
I did like my venture,but the wife could never get comfy on it,even after some expensive seat changes.
Since we got the wing,the back seat whine has stopped:thumbup:
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 99 RSv, talk ABOUT A REAL WHINER!!!
I like my GL1800 alot. Tho it may have some short comings in some folks eyes,it is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned.
I did like my venture,but the wife could never get comfy on it,even after some expensive seat changes.
Since we got the wing,the back seat whine has stopped:thumbup:
Welcome aboard!
The clutch basket whine is a common problem on the RSV ... I had it too but managed to reduce it to an acceptable level by installing an " I " basket. As for the wife's comfort, she loves it (the RSV) ... much more than the Wing and more than the '87 Venture we had.

As for this Wing I bought... yes, it seems to have a "whine" and appears to be the alternator but is really only noticeable at idle or just off idle so it doesn't bother me ... but I will be changing out the alternator over the winter. Other than that, I LOVE the Wing ... I really liked the RSMV but this Wing runs circles around that bike.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Don't bother with the change. It is 99.9% certain to be the alt. drive. That is an engine pull if I remember correctly and the straight cut gears just do it.
As for the Venture whining, it never bothered me, just like the gumbling brakes and the tape deck. LOL Part of the total package.

Welcome to the Madd House.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Whine=complain. There always something to complain about. We expect perfection in everything but we seldom try to achieve it ourselves.
The wing is a great bike but like everything/everyone else it is not perfect.

·
15 year Member
6,932 Posts
You ain't seen nothing yet!!!!

Welcome!

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just recently bought my Wing and joined this board. Just sold my 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture (the "Midnight" one) and am a member since 2006 on a venture forum. Also had a 1985 and a 1987 Venture.

There's a lot of "whiners" on that forum, including myself. Now, I figgured ... GoldWing .. the "Cadillac" of all motorcycles ... the "primo machine" .... yet after reading several posts here, it seems folks whine about these bikes too ... and for some of the same things.

LOL ... someone even razzed me here already about me "whining" ... I know they were only kidding tho (coz I would never whine about my "Cadillac").

I thought this was gonna be about that clutch whine some of those Royal Stars and Ventures have.

On EVERY forum there are people venting. Just like on every forum there's always people who aren't satisfied with the horsepower/handling/comfort/whatever, and they're always tinkering with stuff. It's what some people like to do. As long as they don't try to make me do what they do, it's all good. I even learn things from those "tinkerers" that I'd have never known otherwise. Even those who vent sometimes vent about things I never knew existed.

If they bother ya, sit back and thumb your nose at their posts. That'll teach 'em!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they bother ya, sit back and thumb your nose at their posts. That'll teach 'em!!
nuthin much bothers me .... 'cept maybe a good lookin woman that I can't have... LOL (am I whining? :shrug:)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Welcome

I ride!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sometimes reading . . . not listening . . . nor seeing . . . one can forget this is all sort of a cyberspace Winger bull session.

Maybe some of the guys have been on Wings for so long . . . they sort of take it all for granted. . . forgetting a bit . . . how "comfy" they have it.

Some Wingers . . . a bit heavy . . . a bit stove-up . . . could use a good deal more comfort . . . I suppose.

I enjoy the whines. . . . more the petty . . . the more the good humor.

I enjoy the suggestions for future changes to the Wing. Like when you wonder if the guy is joking or serious. Then realize he is serious . . . damn serious.:lol:

Wingers are okay.

Tis strange . . . Wingers seem to be demanding change . . . more change and then some more change!!

A good majority of Harley riders are demanding . . . stop making all these damn changes . . . . . . you are ruining the motorcycle!!

Good humor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
geez whinin here? Glad I'm hard of hearing...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The only whining here is when someone has to pass the "DQ" because it's on the other side of the interstate. And, no exit to get to it. :22yikes: :lol::lol: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I do believe that most of the whiners are not truly life-long motorcyclists. They are used to the luxuries of their cages and have no appreciation for the old days. If they rode motorcycles 30 or more years ago, they would appreciate how far motorcycles have come. And again, some (a lot) of people are just negative and this is just one more place they can excercise their talents.

This is not to say there are not legitimate things that go wrong with motorcycles and this is certainly the place to share information. :thumbup:

The best thing to do is when you figure out who the trolls and whiners areis to use the ignore button. ;)

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Whining and dining (and sometimes wining) is a long-standing tradition on this site. And we are grateful for it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Still have my Venture Royale, and now the '04 Wing. My Wing doesn't whine near as much as my Venture, plus it is also lacking the "George Jetson chirp" that a lot of Ventures have! I can hear my music a lot clearer, but still enjoy a romp on the Royale once in a while. It goes straighter and is more tossable in some ways than the Wing. Plus the Royale has a better suspension! Both have their good and bad points, but since getting the Wing, very few miles have been put on the Venture. But a lot of that is because there is no Sat Radio on the Yamahammer!

Oh, did I just whine?:confused:

I enjoy the discussions for the most part on the various Venture forums and the various Wing forums. The occasional whiner is just part of the background buzz!:doorag:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts