GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok guys, what do you think of my radar detector and it's mounting pod versus the ram mount and automotive detector alternatives?? 8) 8) T.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So you have this beauty wired into your bike and drive through a state or province where they are not legal.
If stopped does the officer make you un-wire it there on site or seize the bike :shock: :shock:

Mac

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's hard to tell from your picture - what's the rest of the installation look like? They list the dimensions as 2" round x 3" deep - what does the front side of the unit look like, especially with all the wires coming out the front?

Where/how did you install the remote antennas? They look pretty bulky too.

Radarbusters stated it had 'adequate' performance and the only consumer who commented stated that it wasn't as sensitive as his Passport 8500.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mac Clarke said:
So you have this beauty wired into your bike and drive through a state or province where they are not legal.
If stopped does the officer make you un-wire it there on site or seize the bike :shock: :shock:

Mac
Mac, It's not a problem. All the wiring connections are weatherproof male to female quick connects which I have coiled up behind the unit but inside of the gauge pod. The unit fits securely into this gauge pod but can be twisted as it's pulled to remove it and unplug all the wiring and antenna/sensor leads. 8) 8) Terry

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jon said:
It's hard to tell from your picture - what's the rest of the installation look like? They list the dimensions as 2" round x 3" deep - what does the front side of the unit look like, especially with all the wires coming out the front?

Where/how did you install the remote antennas? They look pretty bulky too.

Radarbusters stated it had 'adequate' performance and the only consumer who commented stated that it wasn't as sensitive as his Passport 8500.
1.The leads are labeled where they exit what you are calling the frontside of the unit also at each leads connector. 2. The front antenna is secured to the plastic tab on the steering head and under the fairing, the rear laser detector is double stick taped under my trunk and is tiny 1"x1". Admittedly the detectors range is a slightly below the awesome range of the Bel or Passport. But if you read all of Radar Roy's report it only finished behind these two in detection range. 3.And adequate is not a bad thing, that means it works. It has saved me countless times and never not detected or detected too late. Besides IMO it surpasses the others in practicality and looks, is weather resistant, and even includes a voltage gauge and temperature probe. T. 8) 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm not knocking your choice, just wondering how the installation looks. Admittedly, I'm a 'function over form' kind of a guy, but for others, appearance is very important.

Since this unit relies on external antennas, I was also curious how/where you mounted them since the range/reception of a radar detector is greatly dependent on its installation.

I'm glad it's working for you - to borrow Bulldog's line: If you like it, I love it!

BTW, I can beat Crutchfield's price on this unit, but it doesn't include the remote display.

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
I had a remote Whister system in my truck at one time and it was the best set-up functionally I have ever seen. I put a flip top lid over the dash mounted inside panel and it was totally out of sight. No problems slipping through Virginia A-Tall. On the GL1800 I suggest concealing the control panel in a side pocket with the oudio feed into the sound system as your alert -- totally out of sight for the LEOs and the sticky fingered sort.

prs

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mac Clarke said:
Terry
Thank for the reply.
That unit is really neat----then again when it comes to gagets ---my wifee thinks I got issues. :) :)
I'm going to try one.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciated
mac
Hey Mac,
Just one thing that I should add. As you probably noticed I didn't utilize the detectors o.e. mounting hardware. This unit does not come with a gauge pod. The pod was originally produced to fit the a-pillar of a car or truck. I purchased one and had to reshape it and enclose it's underside to suit my needs. It took some fabrication skill to complete this project but I strongly dislike the alternative, the awkward looking ram style mount. Just a consideration, thought you should know. T.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
tvbveb said:
...This unit does not come with a gauge pod. The pod was originally produced to fit the a-pillar of a car or truck. I purchased one and had to reshape it and enclose it's underside to suit my needs. It took some fabrication skill to complete this project but I strongly dislike the alternative, the awkward looking ram style mount...
That indirectly answered my first question - can you post some pictures of the pod from the front and side of the bike so we can see what the full installation looks like?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.