GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 785 cc 2 stroke jet ski that I somewhat effectionately call the Albatross.

Last time out it did great up to about 30 mph, real strong, then it was like a rev limiter or something kicked in. It would slow for several seconds and then take off strong again to about 30 or so. It usually goes 50 or 60 mph.

I started it up in the garage today and it put out white smoke. Then the smoke output slowed until it was a little like it always has done. But, if I revved the engine it started again.

What does white smoke indicate? Think thay are related?

I know there are some big time wrenches on the board any any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike[/b]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just guessing, but I would check the carbs,,,,water in the bowls? If so, drain and clean the fuel system , replace fuel filter.

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeh, pretty easy...white smoke means the indians aint a gonna attack!!!!! :a13: ok..my experience with white smoke on watercraft engines meant a water leak from whatever source. such as blown head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, so on so fourth. You say the problem is intermittent...so I wouldnt suspect cracked or broken parts...I would check for water in the fuel system. That is where I would start trouble shooting. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have a 785 cc 2 stroke jet ski that I somewhat effectionately call the Albatross.

I would be pulling the plug(s) and making sure they are not fouled. Also, you say the smoke is white. Are you sure it is not tinted a very light blue whenever light shines through? If it is then it sounds like you may have mixed too much oil into your pre-mix or the automatic oiling system is not functioning correctly, if it has one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mike,

Your problem could be as simple as a fouled plug or as serious as an engine trying to seize. It's impossible to diagnose without actually being there with you.

I don't know how experienced you are with 2 cycle marine engines. My advise would be to consult a qualified mechanic ASAP. Better safe than sorry.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The gasoline could be contaminated with some diesel fuel. Don't ask how I know this....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts