GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I replace for age, particularly on my trailer (not behind bike trailer but bike in trailer trailer).

I also replaced for age on vintage bikes that I’ve owned and continued to ride.

Fresh tires are cheap insurance. They have date codes for a reason.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have replaced tires on my RV's previously simply due to their age. But tires on my cars, trucks and bikes don't ever seem to get old before the tread is down to the wear bars. (not sure why that is)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I now replace tires on everything due to age. Had a few bad experiences with old tires. Just this spring I replaced tires on my 70 LeMans... they were 26 years old and only had about 5,000 miles on them. Car has not been driven much in that time and was stored inside. Tires still looked new so I didn't think about it much until I started thinking about it. Crash a classic over old tires? No. Oh, by the way, I sliced the old tires so no one would be tempted to use them!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with El Toro... they have a date code for a reason. Tires sit in the manufacturers warehouse for a undetermined amount of time? Or the bike sits in the dealership showroom for X amount of time? Such as my F6B, bought new in March of this year, but its a 2016. I have not checked the codes on them yet, but I was going to replace them next season. Based off time alone! Worn out or not, 4 to 5 years old with inactivity, time to replace! Small price to pay, for a little peace of mind going down the road! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have many times. Classic motorcycles, trucks and trailers.

I had one good tire that went flat on a truck that a major tire shop refused to fix because the date code, I plugged it myself and now use those immigrant tire shops for all my tires. No waiting, no paperwork, good old fashioned service. Life is good for people who want to work.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I'm not a fan of old tires, that being said, like many others I generally wear them out before they have time to get old. I've seen to many tires get hard, crack, and separate.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've replaced the tires on my last two F-150 pickups after only about two years, having bought them pretty much new.

The Goodyear tires on OEM F-150's are crap, designed for mileage and rolling resistance more than traction.

After a couple of years, or 25,000 miles, the tires will start to spin on dry pavement especially when stopped at an intersection and then pulling out while turning to the right - the inner wheel will spin like crazy. I almost went off a corner on a wet mountain road because of those crap tires on my last truck.

I replace them with Firestones, and have never had that problem after the swap no matter how long I run them.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
They'd have to be pretty darn old... for me it's a NO. I'll run them until they are worn out or show signs of cracking/age.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My CB750 sat for several years. When I got it back out, the tires were terribly cracked. Yup, replaced them. My collector car had Mickey Thompsons on it for 35 years. Car always stored inside, in the dark. Tires looked like new, no cracks or weatherchecking. Since I was restoring the car, new tires. Not worth taking chance on tires that old.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Never had a chance to change tires because of age, and that's a good thing! I go through at least one set of motorcycle tires a riding season.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I replace tires all the time that are out dated, they also have no tread on them but the owner doesn’t care. They run them until they get a flat up here. They are so hard that dismounted you can stand on the sidewall and have the tire NOT FLEX.
I’ve had to put new tires on bent rims because they will not buy another rim. Front or rear. I tease the heck out of them but they are ok with having it rideable again. It was only a slight wobble. And there is so much mud on them normally that you can’t see the wobble until the next time they need a tire. I told him to get a rim next time. I won’t do it again. My own personal bikes normally wear thin before time runs out. I drill holes in them and set them out at the end of the driveway, folks take them for docks at their cabins ( lots of lakes up here) and farmers put them over their winter hay covers for weight.

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
I have to replace them on my truck every 5 or 6 years. Kills me to drop $1,100 to replace tires that aren’t worn. They get hard and dangerous/slippery on wet roads.

I always wear bike tires out!

·
Registered
321 Posts
My tires don't get a chance to get old.
I go through a set a year on my Goldwing.
If your tires are old, you are not riding enough.>:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 4 yo Dunlops on the back of the Wing I bought this spring were dangerous in the rain. They kicked out on mild acceleration and slid all over the road. I hope to wear the new Bridgestones out, but if not, I don't think I will ride them into their 4th year.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
852 Posts
The is not an expiration date on tires. No kind of tires. Age has never been a factor for me in determining R&R time, physical characteristics is how I judge mine. Cracks in the sidewall etc definitely needs replaces whether they were manufactured last week or 10 years ago. I probably have a little more exposure to tires than most both in selling and training. If a shop ever tells you your tires are expired (as in out of date code ) get out of that establishment. They are lying to you! There is no such thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have many times. Classic motorcycles, trucks and trailers.

I had one good tire that went flat on a truck that a major tire shop refused to fix because the date code, I plugged it myself and now use those immigrant tire shops for all my tires. No waiting, no paperwork, good old fashioned service. Life is good for people who want to work.
Well, Zee, there's a reason the major tire shop refused... liability. They fix a tire that is considered out of date, it fails, causes a major crash, some deaths, guess who gets sued. You wreck, cause of wreck is blown tire... you point your finger at the tire shop. Can't point your finger at the immigrant shop... no paperwork. You say they fixed it, they say no... and you have no paperwork to prove it.

I've never had to replace tires due to age on any vehicle as I wear them out long before 10 years etc. But, that is changing... my CBR1000RR has great looking tires on it but they are 2011. Likely will consider changing them in a year or so, riding this bike is just not worth having tires that might fail. It's my third set on this bike. In 2004 I road this 5,000 miles in about a year, that's all these tires will last, next set took me 5 years to ride that 5K miles. Third set of tires around 2012, the current set, they only have about 2K miles on them...

The Goldwing, on the other hand, gets too much of my attention! :wink2:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
When I had my Goldwing I would put on fresh tires prior to every big trip of several thousand miles, which was once a year. I don't do big trips anymore and the tires are replaced when they're down to the wear bars. At my last tire change the tires were 3.5 years old and had 18,000 miles on them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts