GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 1k plus ride to Santa Fe NM.

Tired to stay off the big roads and slow down a little.

Noticed the distance to empty gauge was climbing higher because of my lack of speed.

[/URL][/IMG]

So I thought let's see who has high score!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Beats me. My high was 291 just after fill up= 53mpg. I didn’t get that on the new tank though. I’ve let Trip B run for 8265 miles and it registers 48.2 cumulative. Bike has 9220 total miles. I’ve happy with the new engine. 5.5 gal beats my bladder and butt every day.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I'm interested in the DTE accuracy as you get close to the empty. That is, if I'm almost empty and it says 40 miles to go, do I really have 40 miles to go? I've calculated how much gas it took to fill the tank at that point and it seems to work out. Of course, you have to ride in a consistent way, I have no idea how far back the rolling average is calculated. Do others find this DTE to be accurate?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Range estimate is based on 'recent' consumption rate, but obviously the computer doesn't know how fast you are going to run in the future, or what traffic and grades will be encountered.
So it's only as accurate as the fuel usage rate is consistent.

I've noticed that if driving is consistent before and after fill, and if the dash is set to show both trip and range, that for every mile added to trip, one mile is reduced from range.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
926 Posts
Unpossible! We've been told that the new wing, with its smaller tank, cannot go more than 230 miles before needing refueling!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did quite a bit of backroad riding this winter in Florida. I usually kept speeds between 45 and 55. At these low speeds the mileage is fantastic as this tank shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
I did quite a bit of backroad riding this winter in Florida. I usually kept speeds between 45 and 55. At these low speeds the mileage is fantastic as this tank shows.
Wow you still had 17 miles left on the computer and you would had made it to 300 miles on one tank...you beat me, in my picture here the flashing dashes just started at around 280 miles and I was getting very nervous but found fuel at 286.2 miles...54.4 mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Reply to nwvic: when the low fuel light comes on, my experience is that I have .9 gal left. Tested that twice now and it’s been consistent for me. I don’t pay as much attention to the DTE as I do the flashing indicators. As others have stated, riding style differences between current and last tank have some influence on that number. I generally get the warning when it says 40 DTE though. Just my experience FWIW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts