GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through some old pictures, I found this.
It seems these days, a lot of people, including us, have too much stuff in their garage to put their car in.
As the story goes, when my wife and I got married 12 years ago, between us we had 7 motorcycles.
This picture was taken back in 2016 when we were down to 4 motorcycles.
Now we are getting older and we just don't have the time to ride all the bikes and are just down to one each, but still can't fit a car in the garage.
I rode the 05 Goldwing and the 2014 Ultra Limited, and my wife rode the 07 Suzuki Burgman, and she also had a 2005 Harley Heritage Softail that was converted into a Champion trike.
Oh, and the stain on the concrete below the Harley was there when we bought the house. :) I know what you guys are thinking!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in the house my parents bought in 1970, there is a detached 2 car garage that has never had a car parked in either bay. I currently am working on emptying the garage so a cement floor can be poured, that's right, I have a dirt and rock floor. When I am done, there still will not be cars in the garage...and next year I want to build a separate building for the motorcycles so I can have a shop to fiddle away my evenings in.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In order just to make things clear; whenever house hunting (corporate transfers), I always told the real estate agent that I required a three car garage with a house attached.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Where I live there’s no need to keep a car inside a garage. If I lived in a snow climate or cared about cars it might be different.

My garage is my man cave. Work shop, 3 motorcycles, trike, motorcycle lift, bathroom, shower, refrigerator, gun safe and flatscreen tv. I call it my studio. I like it that way. The wife can have the rest of the house. Cars are parked in the driveway with plenty of separation to ride motorcycles in and out.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I have a five car garage. One bay is a workshop where I keep a Spyder I bought for the wife in 2012. She has only ridden it once, in a large parking lot. We are giving it to the daughter. In the summer the rest is full of stuff. I will move most of it aside to make room for my pick up truck and the wife's Ridgeline. My wing will be in the garage, too. we have had as much as four cars in the garage at one time!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
No garage, 8 x 12 shed that houses two bikes. Everything else stays outside.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you have a serious problem: NOT ENOUGH MOTORCYCLES. C'mon man, step it up! You don't have any hanging from the ceiling yet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Garage used to have these two MCs (until I had to put the FJR down totaling it).

Now

Down to just the GL1800. But have several road, hybrid and mountain bicycles, camping gear and all the power tools for the yard. No room for a car in either garage bay.

Now looking for 1-5 acre rural home with a 2-car attached garage and a detached 3-car garage/outbuilding for riding toys and workshop. Need a tad more space for funner living.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1969 BSA Lightning
1978 GL1000
1984 CB400
1985 Corvette
1995 VT1100C2
2005 Mercedes SLK 350
2005 Mercedes S550
2017 Honda CRV
2018 GL1800
2020 Toyota Highlander

The odd thing is: as "empty-nesters" we want a smaller house: but one with at least a 6 car garage. Doesn't aging mean you have more toys but dont need as many rooms? Where is the housing for the aged?

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
For a while the wife's 76 TA stayed in the garage but now I have a lift. It's stored off-site. A new very large garage is planned. Actual drawings have been made. 48'x48'
But for now my 20'x24' will have to do.
I also am reducing inventory as I gave my 2007 ST1300 to my son as a wedding present, two NC700x's to two daughters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Really, who puts cars in a garage? Got two bikes in there that are getting lonely asking for a third!!! :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They say Americans are the only people who will let $70,000 in cars sit outside and weather in the elements,.....because they can’t bring themselves to get rid of the $3,000 in crap filling their garage.....

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I have lived in my home since 1985, and NEVER has a car ever been inside the (one car size) garage............... BUT always A motorcycle.....I Never had more than one bike at a time, BUT have had multiple makes and models through out the years.............

Ronnie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, a car won't FIT in my garage. It's a one car garage converted from a car port and would need to be 6 inches longer to fit a car or minivan. But the Honda fits in there just fine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Before my hip replacement last year I built a 14’x16’ garage specificly for the trike and trailer. Their is room for a work bench and a few other small things. If I did park a car in it, it would have to be a small one like a VW bug.

·
Registered
951 Posts
2 car garage. Her side: her suv. My side: Bunkhouse camper, 78 Wing, 03 trike, 02 2 wheeler, riding lawn mower. If my side didn"t have a side alcove, I would be in trouble. As it is, my truck is an outside critter.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I think I have room for a few cars. Not in this picture, but I have 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, a motorcycle trailer and my buddy's motorhome in the garage plus the steel studs for the man cave.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A man can never have too much garage space!
Plan it for what you think you need plus add a minimum of 10x20 to it before actually doing the building.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts