GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The pilot. I watched a video on the net with 2 chopper pilots vying for the winning of opening beer bottles on a table with a bottle opener attached to the runner of their choppers. That looked like child's play compared to the pilot holding that chopper steady on that roof.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
THEY ALL DO! THE BEST FIGHTING FORCE IN THE WORLD!!!!

GOD BLESS THE TROOPS!! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd have to agree, it's the pilot.

Dep

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I checked it with snopes. Everyone knows that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is and snopes will find them out.

This photo is absolutely...

TRUE! :D

The pilot was from the Pennsylvania National Guard who flies emergency rescue in his civilian job. GO GUARD! :yes1:

:flg:

·
Registered
922 Posts
piece of cake for the pilot, rear tire resting on roof, he just has to hold a little collective, prob easier than hovering. The troops are trusting the pilots 100% so they are prob the most at risk, but neither job is without it's dangers. When I did this stuff I loved it , best fun I ever had. Funny as you get older you get chicken-er or wiser, whichever way you want to look at it...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
One pilot on the controls looking outside for visual reference. One pilot monitoring gauges and torque. A flight engineer who provided the 'eyes' during the wheel contact/ landing phase. A crew chief/gunner providing 'eyes' and covering fire if needed.

All these guys working towards the common goal of supporting the ground troops they are picking up.

No one person can take full credit for all that you see there. It takes a well trained team.

And remember, there is no "I" in TEAM!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good point Dice.

All those folks deserve credit.

Dep

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Havin' been in the position of the fellas jumpin' into the rear, I say the pilot has the tougher job and that guy deserves more than whatever the fellas in the back buy him when they safely touch down back at the field. :wink: :flg:

I bet there are a few guys on the board that can really enlighten us with this. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wow that pilot is good !.......He'd get a couple cold ones from me without a doubt......... :yes1:

·
Registered
786 Posts
These pilots and crew can hold this beast as steady as a rock,

I use to train with this type pf helicopter in lifting our ground vehicles to another location,

I/we would stand on the ground vehicle and when the helicopter touched the top of your helmet, you would hook the cable to the chooper hook, and away they'd go.

the first time doing this is a thrill.

also you can be killed by the static electric if you don't strike the ground rod first. it's blow you boots right off.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure boosts one's admiration for our men in uniform. That has to be one of the best pictures of the year.

Pat

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aeo1534 said:
Hey Hal where did you find such a picture?
Its evidently been around but a friend sent me this on Friday.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm a former U.S. Army Chinook helicopter pilot, too, and I've done exactely that same thing. It's a pretty tough maneuver, but with the help of a good crew onboard, it can be done. The CH47 Chinook is a pretty amazing helicopter, and still remains the favorite of all the helicopters I flew in the Army.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts