GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I was wondering does anybody here have one of those camping trailers?
I am from Boston and my idear of camping is watching a black and white tv,I do not camp.My wife has been after me to buy one of those trailers that has a tent on it for the motorcycle but I would rather go to a motel or a hotel.I dont even know how much a campground is.I am a city boy all the way and I am not getting any younger so I need comfort in the form of a soft bed and a toilet all to myself( I did not even think about sharing a toilet).
Any thoughts about camping?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I camped for many years with a pop up tent and sleeping bag. It was fun back then when I was younger and far more flexable, but now it's not fun and I would rather pay a little more and sleep in a warm bed and A/C in the summer.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
I miss camping. Haven't done it in YEARS. I do like the hotel idea, but it's nice to rough it once in a while. As long as you prepare yourself, you'll be just fine. It's all about bringing the right stuff.

I think the pop up camper idea is great, especially if your not really all that into camping. It helps add some comfort to it for sure.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Camping Updated

I started with a tent, moved to a VW camper, then nothing until now.

Just bought a KDX 24 toyhauler you can see it on my website - and now I'm 'camping' with a portable home. If you want to try this, I'd rent a unit first. I have a color HDTV with DVD player, extended kitchen that I setup and all the comforts of home. Camping updated for seniors.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Sounds to me like you answered your own question!!!

I am from Boston and my idear of camping is watching a black and white tv,I do not camp.
I have a Roll a Home and love it, and a time Out before it, and a tent before (Still have the tent, don't use it)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I did a lot of camping when I was in the Army in the early '70. I swore that if I got out alive, I would never camp again, and have kept my promise. :lol:

When I was younger and came back to the civilian world, I always thought that camping and motorcycling went hand in hand, and I was always intrigued at the campers that you see being pulled by bikes. As I grew older I changed that phylosophy a bit and now practice motorcycling and touring as one and the same, but motel it.

Mike

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts
When my kids were young I got back into camping wth a travel trailer. Best of both worlds. Camping in the outdoors plus the convenience of a comfortable bed, protection from the elements, enjoy the campfire, etc.

Last year I picked up an Aspen Classic to again enjoy the best of both worlds. Only used it one week so far, but loved it. There are many, many camping areas. You can stop where you want, rather than scheduling around a hotel reservation. If you like the outdoors, pretty hard to beat. And you can pack a lot more stuff.

There are a couple of good motorcycle camping groups - International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers http://www.ibmc.org/ and Motocampers.com http://www.motocampers.com/

Your signature says "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Ditto for motorcycle camping.

·
Registered
21,057 Posts
if the weather is rite i don't mind camping and it can save quite a bit of money

for me camping is a little better farther west where its usually dry

the big downfall with camping is hauling around all the extra gear, if i could afford it i'd be happy stay in a motel every nite and leave all the camping gear home

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Cycledude, how'd you like camping behind that gas station while at the IBA Rally in '07?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Nope, no camping here anymore, not in almost 30 years. I want a hot shower every night and morning. When I'm on the road I dont want either of us to clean up a camp ground, make a bed, cook a meal, etc. If nothing else is available I will on occasion stoop to a motel six but I really try to avoid them, (I prefer clean and too many times they are not).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
First of all MrG...
You mentioned sharing a toilet. How many different people do you think have used that toilet in the hotel room you got for the night? Before you say it is cleaned every day, did you see the undercover video of the housekeeping staff at several hotels using a rag to clean the bathroom and using the same rag to wipe out the drinking glass and coffee pot? There was several other disgusting things shown in that video. Don't think for a moment that hotels are clean and secure. At one hotel, the housekeeping staff left our room open all day and 1/2 the night while we were out enjoying a motorcycle rally. We got back to the room about 10:30 PM and found the door was left ajar against the open dead bolt. The hotel manager said he would "look into it". It's a good thing nothing was missing.
Now back to camping...Perhaps on a long trip, you could camp a couple nights then hotel it a night. If it is really hot and humid perhaps an air conditioned hotel room would be better. However on those nights where there is a nice breeze, there is nothing like sleeping outside. Have you ever tried camping? Perhaps there is someone that would let you use their camper for a weekend.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Instead of pulling a small camper with my wing I pull my wing behind my motorhome and ride when I get there. Heading to Destin in a couple weeks to do just that. I prefer my own bed.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Mom&Pops motels run 50-70 a night in the areas that I like to travel. I like meeting the folks there and they are usually pretty clean. I don't know what camp fees are, but I do know that a good tent, and all of the other stuff (including the trailer to haul it all in) runs way up there. You guys that like the camping, more power to you. I was a country and small town boy growing up, and I've grown out of the camping desire. Bugs are bad enough inside cheap & stinky motels - I sure don't want to be outside one!

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I think you said you wanted a motorcycle trailer camper. Just google it and alot will come up with alot of different options. When you camp, you have to take everything including the kitchen sink. If your young and under 180 lbs and the wife is under 130 lbs then you might give it a try . If not i would stay with the motels, sure is alot more enjoyable and have a motorcycle trailer to carry your belongings in.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Super 8 is the best way to camp.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
My wife HATES to camp. It has been a long time since I camped and the thought of waking up on an air mattress or cot doesn't sound very good to me either. Besides, staying here.......

Will make you smarter!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
We camped last summer beside a family that had never camped before. They were both college professors and they had 2 small kids. The man (?) would sit in the tent while his wife tried in vain to build a fire (using cereal boxes and newspaper) so the kids could get warm (it rained every day). I finally started building their fires for them and split firewood to keep t going. Do yourself a favor. If you've never camped and you're squeamish about potty time, get a hotel.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
We have camped since I got out of the Army in 1971. At first it was because that was the only way we could afford to go anywhere.

Later we did it because that was the only way to stay near where we wanted to be, like the lake or a nice river to float. The kids got an early start. The oldest daughter camped at about 7 months. Her son (our grandson) hit the camping trail at 2 months, 1 week old. That was in our 5th wheel camper, but it is still camping.

We have a 5th wheel for family camping trips and an Aspen Classic to pull behind the Wing. We still love "being in the wild" and sitting around a campfire all evening. Some love it and it ain't their thing for some.

One thing I really like about camping, I am the only one that has slept in that bed!

Watch 60 minutes and other shows to see what goes on in those hotels, no matter the price range.

We would prefer if you didn't camp, it is getting too crowded anyway.;)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Camping was fun when we were young, flexible, poor and did not know any better

For us...we camp at a local Bed and Breakfast. We have had wonderful experiences and a Bed and Breakfast...clean, secure, great service and we contribute to the local economy

Have a Jewish friend that we have ridden with...he says his people have wandered the deserts for 100's of years camping....that was enough...he does not camp anymore!! :lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts