GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are a lot of new members on this board in the last year, there are a lot of folks who have perhaps seen her posts and her recent invite to a BBQ at her new digs.

If you weren't around back in late 06 and early 07 (I think) you aren't familiar with what Sheila Winnie, motorcyclemom40, accomplished on her 1800.

I will probably have some or most of the the facts wrong but here goes. Feel free to correct me Sheila.

During a 12 month period, she set the Iron Butt Association record for the most miles ridden in a year. Not for a woman, but for anyone :shock:

I believe it was 120,000+. That's averaging 10k miles a month for a year in all kinds of weather.

Some other attempts at the particulars: During that time she also rode several of the IBA rides like, 11k miles in 11 days.

It was all done on her nickel and she used the same 1800 for the whole thing. She had three wrecks. I believe two were relatively minor and the third, near the end, almost ruined the attempt. She rode the last thousand or so with duck tape for a fairing and badly bruised.

She had several people scattered throughout the US who were instrumental in helping her keep her equipment running. I think she had 2 GPS units, one with weather radar, 747-like lights used for her night riding, a satellite tracking device that showed where she had been and where she when you logged onto a specific website, a Tailwind trailer for all her stuff, and so on.

Again, I hope I haven't messed up the facts too bad and there is a lot I have probably left out.

If you can make her BBQ, drop by and say, Hi. And feel proud, because you are, IMO, in the presence of Motorcycle Royalty.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Not only that Paul she is a really sweet Lady.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
In addition - she can handle that GL1800 quite well at brisk speeds in the twisties. I can verify that because we rode just behind her for about half of DDKing's twisties ride at last year's Wingstock.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey Paul, maybe these will help!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Here's one more...the BEST!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You won't hear from her much untill she needs everyone to chip in and get her another motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hokie said:
You won't hear from her much untill she needs everyone to chip in and get her another motorcycle.
Uncalled for!!! :x

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
EZONDAI said:
Hokie said:
Haven't seen or heard from her since.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hokie why do you have to be such a A$$HOLE?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I say again....uncalled for! No one was obligated to help, just those who wanted. And she didn't ask, it was started by those who admired her for what she accomplished.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
dhawk said:
I agree with Hokie. We are already paying for everything with our disability insurance.
Your prerogative!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hokie said:
EZONDAI said:
Hokie said:
Haven't seen or heard from her since.
I think if you'll check it out, you, I and anyone else here have been invited by MCM40 to her house for a BBQ.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I looked at the pictures, considered the miles, damage, age of the bike and was thinking to myself, 'I hope she bought GAP insurance'!

Probably less funny after someone else came on here to make the comments above. She probably has been away from this website because she is either catching up on her sleep or she doesn't care for the cynical comments posted by some of the members.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Just by reading your avatar, I see you don't appreciate people who don't work using your money to live on. It don't matter whether you are on welfare, disability, or an illegal alien by taking money that you did not work for to live on they are all the same. Personally, I work and don't have the time to do record riding. I'm just saying I am not impressed with her after meeting her.
PS: I work in the medical field and am used every day by the non working public. They can afford better health care than us working folks.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts