GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas who makes and sells a brake reservoir cover that has a mounting point for accessories. I remember seeing them in the forum, but can't find them again.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
How does that one fit on the odd shape of the 2018+ reservoir?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am concerned about using the master cylinder cover bolts to attach RAM balls. The screws on my home light switch cover plates have more threads. Considering the torque induced by the RAM arm and whatever is attached to it, IMHO, it is just a mater of time before you have a brake/clutch hydraulic failure.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not for the reservoir but this post offers a nice option for the DCT, and another bar option.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not for the reservoir but this post offers a nice option for the DCT, and another bar option.

Nice, unfortunately my left handlebar's real-estate is occupied with my amateur radio. Gotta use the right side for the phone. Nice option though.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I use the 2nd option above on my right bar, but its the Goldstrike perch mount, same principle. I have a cup holder on it. My Samsung is on the left bar with a Goldstrike phone mount. Goldstrike makes an excellent phone mount and perch that will fit your right bar. RAM makes a dual ball mount as well.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Fred H. has reported he has had no trouble with a RAM ball on his clutch reservoir. I just drilled my clutch reservoir cover, countersunk the screw and put a RAM ball on it for my phone. I'll let you know how it works in a few thousand miles. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am concerned about using the master cylinder cover bolts to attach RAM balls. The screws on my home light switch cover plates have more threads. Considering the torque induced by the RAM arm and whatever is attached to it, IMHO, it is just a mater of time before you have a brake/clutch hydraulic failure.

The mount comes with new, longer bolts and holds everything securely. I’ve had on on for over 60K miles with no issues.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am happy for those of you that have successfully used the reservoir cover screws to mount something. I'll admit I have mounted the switchboxes on there myself. :eek:

My concern is these are four millimeter screws in to aluminum. Perfectly fine for a cover that weighs close to nothing and sees no direct force other than the motion of the bike. But place some measurable weight (such as a phone) on a six inch lever arm and someone, someday will have it bounce off their hand and land in the road with a couple ounces of brake fluid splashed all over the ABS (or worse as brake fluid can cause blindness!) and no brakes for the ride home. IMHO, the risk is great and there are viable alternatives with substantially less risk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am happy for those of you that have successfully used the reservoir cover screws to mount something. I'll admit I have mounted the switchboxes on there myself. :eek:

My concern is these are four millimeter screws in to aluminum. Perfectly fine for a cover that weighs close to nothing and sees no direct force other than the motion of the bike. But place some measurable weight (such as a phone) on a six inch lever arm and someone, someday will have it bounce off their hand and land in the road with a couple ounces of brake fluid splashed all over the ABS (or worse as brake fluid can cause blindness!) and no brakes for the ride home. IMHO, the risk is great and there are viable alternatives with substantially less risk.
I see what you mean. It’s a very valid point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts