GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tailwind makes their Duo-Flex Draw Bar to cushion shocks from the trailer, through the hitch to the motorcycle frame. Does anyone else make a trailer coupler or draw bar with a build-in spring or shock absorber? I'm looking for something I could add to my humble PiggyBacker.

I'm putting this in the General Forum (instead of the Trailer Forum) because I searched and searched on-line and found almost nothing in the ethersphere. So, I'm casting a wide net. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Tom Finch holds the patent on the Tailwind Drawbar and I don't believe that there is anything else available.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I HAVE A CUSTOM BUILT SHOCK ABSORBING HITCH ON MINE . WORK'S VERY WELL . THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING THEM MARE , BUT MOST SAID NO NEED FOR ONE . VERY SELDOM DO I FEEL THE TRAILER HIT SOMETHING. . SO I WILL USE USE MY ONE OFF HITCH :thumbup:
PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN IT SAID WOW

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I pulled a trailer for 10+ years and I don't know of anytime that I felt a need for one. In fact, I didn't know they even existed until now.
It is more a factor of protecting the Goldwings aluminum frame than it is about rider comfort, although that is an added benefit.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I pulled a trailer for 10+ years and I don't know of anytime that I felt a need for one. In fact, I didn't know they even existed until now.
i did mine because of the 8 in tires ,they fall into them pot holes . like turning onto a road and the trailer jerks as your taking off . that sucks . and it takes up the hit from the frame

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did find a few for horse trailers--they need as much protection as they can get--and for BIG trucks.

It looks like I might have to design one for my own light duty motorcycle use. :twisted:

The trick is to make it simple, rugged and reliable.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cushioned Ball Mount for Piggy Backer Trailer

Hello, Fellow Trailer Pullers:

I talked to the folks over at Etrailers.com and they said they offer a "Cushioned Ball Mount." Click the link to take a look. Of course, it is rated for 10,000 pounds and I need 300 pounds. Below is a shot of how it works.
Product Bumper
Here is what they say about it:

Convert-A-Ball Ball Mounts - AMSC2

Cushioned ball mount from Convert-A-Ball acts as a shock absorber and provides a 2" drop or 3/4" rise. Sturdy steel construction fits 2" square hitches. The GTW is 10,000 lbs; TW is 2,000 lbs.
Features:

• Cushioned to protect tow vehicle's driveline and hitch assembly, as well as trailer's contents
    • Polyurethane interior acts as a shock absorber, reducing bounce and rhythmic vibration
  • Functions as a rise or drop to help you level your trailer
  • Constructed of powder coated steel with interior polyurethane cushion
  • Slides into 2" square trailer hitch receiver and attaches with standard 5/8" hitch pin (sold separately)
  • Made in USA

Anyone tried anything like this?

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm steadily gaining miles on Tailwinds and use mine on occasion to pull heavy loads (hot shotting heavy metal parts to sub-contractors). The patented pitch-inertia drawbar makes a difference but most of the work is handled by the plush, trailing-arm suspension with lots of travel and good coil-over shocks.

However, if you pull a sure-enough heavily loaded trailer with a torsion suspension with +/- 1" of travel (Dexter), the pitch-inertia drawbar is worth it weight in gold. I tend to pull them faster than I probably should and am willing to put the work in to do so. When you get on a rough road with limited suspension, a solid drawbar definitely whips on the bike. This rig has worked out to be a stringent test-bed for Tom's innovation and it works like a champ. I almost feel guilty when riding with others pulling similar trailers and the road gets rough. It makes a floater out of it without being sloppy at the same time. If you can get 15% of the total weight of the trailer on the ball, it has a settling effect on the trailer, however, in the higher weight ranges, you simply cannot get that much weight on the ball without disrupting the ride of the bike. I do good to get 8-10%. That's 10% when the "saddle tanks" are full...8% when I've pumped them dry.

Air conditioner, microwave, hot water heater, propane bottles, refridgerator/freezer/two batteries, etc.

I'm not playin'.

Z

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've got a nice selection there, Zackybilly1. But how can I add some kind of tongue shock to my humble PiggyBacker?

I don't want o try to "borrow" the TailWind technology. I'd love to just replace the hitch part with a cushion hitch. I'll need to give that a bit more thought. I'm SURE there is a cheep effective way to do this.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hello, Fellow Trailer Pullers:

I talked to the folks over at Etrailers.com and they said they offer a "Cushioned Ball Mount." Click the link to take a look. Of course, it is rated for 10,000 pounds and I need 300 pounds. Below is a shot of how it works.
View attachment 37400
Here is what they say about it:

Convert-A-Ball Ball Mounts - AMSC2

Cushioned ball mount from Convert-A-Ball acts as a shock absorber and provides a 2" drop or 3/4" rise. Sturdy steel construction fits 2" square hitches. The GTW is 10,000 lbs; TW is 2,000 lbs.
Features:

• Cushioned to protect tow vehicle's driveline and hitch assembly, as well as trailer's contents
    • Polyurethane interior acts as a shock absorber, reducing bounce and rhythmic vibration
  • Functions as a rise or drop to help you level your trailer
  • Constructed of powder coated steel with interior polyurethane cushion
  • Slides into 2" square trailer hitch receiver and attaches with standard 5/8" hitch pin (sold separately)
  • Made in USA

Anyone tried anything like this?

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website.
I can see this design dampening the horizontal load being transmitted to the bike but don't see anything in this design that would dampen the vertical load,(shock) transmitted to the bike and I think that is what the OP is trying to find.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this cushion ball that might work. Well, not exactly THIS one: The Shocker Hitch ball is made for 3rd wheels and has a huge ball, but one LIKE this. Less than $150 would be good too.

Joystick Technology Input device

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Try CAMPING WORLD, they use to have a large assortment of hitches like these, all the way down to class one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.