GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Frog Togs are very comfortable, light, airy...however I have a little issue with water wicking into the crotch area after prolonged riding in the rain where water pools up in that area on the seat. I talked to someone at the company about this and was told this is just the way they are and it is to be expected after several hours of exposure to rain. They do stand behind their product as far as defect issues...had a zipper go bad , mailed the set back to them and received a new set in just a few days. They do dry quickly and store in a small bag. Friend of mine has a WalMart suit, forget the brand, lot cheaper than mine and he stayed totally dry throughout the ride.

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
it been First Gear for me for over 200,000 miles. same jacket, but new pants, and that was only because of going down a few years back and them doing their job protecting my dumb butt.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's Frog Toggs for me and the wife. Great little suit. Keeps me as dry as any other high price suits I have had including the $200 Gortex 10's.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
leakinf crotch

Leaking in the crotch area is usually because the pants being too small and the seam there leaks because of the stretching.

Richard

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The day after we bought the Wing five years ago we bought a set of Frogg Toggs, not the cheap ones like you see at Bass Pro but the thicker ones that went for seventy some dollers that bike dealers usually sell. Worked well that summer in a few short trips in light rain, did pretty well the next summer in the same conditions. Third summer saw us heading for the Keys in June, the day we planned to leave, we had a heavy rain shower move through about ten AM. We finally got out about noon, planning to ride 58 across lower VA and go through the Outer Banks before heading south. We made it about fifty miles, then the rains came. Sometimes fairly heavy, somtime light, it rained the rest of the day. After three hour, we were pretty much soaked everywhere, after six hours we had enough and stopped for the night so we could dry out. We went to Canada six weeks later, hit one rain shower before Niagria, got wet in the Toggs. Somewhere before Ottawa, we hit hard rain, pulled over quickly to get gas. East of Ottawa, we hit the just about hardest rain I've ever been in, certainly the hardest rain I ever rode in. For the next four days we pretty much stayed in the rain, and stayed wet. In September, we went to WOTS and found a dealer that sold Tourmaster Elites. We bought a pair for each of us. When we went to the bike, the first thing my wife did was throw her Toggs in the trash can, even through just looking at them they still looked new. Maybe the over $100 Road Toggs work better, we'll never find out. The Elites have worked pretty good but we now also have a pair of Harley Hi-Viz rain suits that work even better at keeping us dry, are ten times easier to put on than the Toggs and three times easier than the Elites, and they look like a pine tree on fire going down the road. Doesn't bother me in the least that they say Harley and I'm riding a Wing. No more Toggs for us.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
TourMaster works for me! Frog Toggs didn't work for me............

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have the "old style" frog toggs, like them, but a real pain to get over the riding boots/shoes. Maybe the Road Toads work better....
Carry a plastic bag from the supermarket. Place it over your boot before you put your rain pants on. It will help them slide over your boot...

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Oh yeah "saftey first" never, nev, nev, NEVER! stop under an ovrerpass on the slab in a downpour to put on rain gear!
Well, when you are on a turnpike that has 10 miles between exits, sometimes you just don't have a choice. Getting drenched kills your concentration, and is far worse than the risk of getting hit on the side of the road. Besides, most overpasses have guardrails that you can stand behind while putting on your gear.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am totally amazed at some of the answers to the OP's request for suggestions. He clearly asked for an alternative to his current set of Frogg Toggs rain gear. And what does he get? Nearly half of the suggestions are for the brand he wants to avoid.

Quite frankly, I want to know the same information as Reg, because my Toggs get me wet in the crotch area when the water pools in the seat. Thank you to all you guys who actually read the original post and are making good suggestions.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Just about all the good rain gear out there will keep you dry. There are dozens to choose from if that is your only criteria. The difference is that most of them don't breath, which means anything over 70 dgrees will feel like you are in a sauna. With the gear I have experienced, if the gear feels rubbery on the outside surface, you don't want it. I don't care how many mesh panels they have under the jacket. Thus far, the only rain gear I have seen that meets the need to breathe is the Frogg Toggs, and that is why they are so popular.

I bought an expensive Tourmaster jacket a number of years ago that they claimed breathed. But it didn't. It is hanging in my closet after only being used once. Supposedly they have a new one, called the Sentinel, that really does breathe. It looks really nice, and judging by the pictures, it doesn't look like it has that rubbery coating on it.

Try to go to dealers to actually see and feel the rain gear. You can tell fairly easily which ones breathe. Don't go by ads. Everybody claims their rain gear breathes.

I know I am making a big deal out of a rain suit's ability to breathe. But that is because, if you have to ride for hours with your rain gear on, it's important. If I could find better rain gear without having to get a second mortgage on the house, I would gladly look at it.

Mailman, how old are your Frogg Toggs? They older ones did have a problem with leaking in the crotch area. It was caused by the tugging in that area when putting them on. But supposedly that problem has been fixed. It would be dissapointing to learn that they are still having problems.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
seat

If you spend several hours sitting in a puddle on your seat, anything with a seam will leak. I carry beads for those occasions. They get you up out of the puddle.

Richard

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Good idea Richard.

Allen, I'm amazed that you had such problems. My wife and I have the original Toggs, and ridden a number of 8-10 hour days in continuous rain, and stayed relatively dry.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have river road rain gear. priced right it has kept me dry in every type of storm. I have had the set for six years and still working as good as new. I only pull over during a storm to put them on, not to hide under a bridge, they have seen a lot of rain!

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The rain gear marketed by BMW and H-D is the best by far, though pricey and it does carry logos which doesn't matter to me. IMO, all models of Frogg Toggs are highly over rated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's a leather shop in Greeansburg, Pa that caters pretty much exclusively to bikers.

They private label leathers and rainsuits. I bought my wife a really nice rainsuit there a few years back. Plus, I've bought two leather jackets and one nice textile.

Nice inventory.

http://www.mmleatheronline.com/

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Carry a plastic bag from the supermarket. Place it over your boot before you put your rain pants on. It will help them slide over your boot...
:yes1::yes1::yes1: Works great!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Tom

Another great idea. Now if only I can remember it.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I am looking to replace my Frogg Togs for something of a better quality and longer lasting. I know Harley Davidson makes some good gear but unfortunately they insist on plastering their name all over it. Can anyone suggest a good quality rainsuit that will not completely bust the bank?
Thanks
Reg

They'll probably leak. ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Larry, got them last year and the company replaced them earlier this Fall, have not tried the replacements...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts