GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Who many days will be normal for a ride from Chicago - Billings - Seattle - Los Angeles - Rt 66 back to Chicago, riding 2 up and pulling a trailer?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Depends on HOW many days you spend seeing the cities you are going through.

We rode from California to NYC in 9 days two up with a trailer on Interstate roads.

We rode from NY to CA in 17 days using back roads, waiting our bad weather and sight seeing.

The weather made a huge difference on the return trip.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How much time?

Hello SVEIN,
is this your 1st time in the U.S.? I assume you'll be travelling by motorcycle? How much time do you have?
We're a BIG Country & your itinery is about 6000 miles.
My estmate? Minimum of 1 month,2 months would be better.
What you'll see,
Yellowstone & Glacier National Parks. South Dakota,Mt. Rushmore,Badlands National Park. 1 & 1/2 weeks
From Seattle, take the Pacific Coast Hiway,thru the Redwoods,down into Monterrey into Los Angeles. 1 & 1/2 weeks.
Los Angeles return to Chicago,stopping @ the Grand Canyon, 1 week.
Above are just the highlights of things to see. You may never get out of the Redwoods. :D
Enjoy your adventure & welcome to the U.S.A.,
the hobo

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traveling in the US

Hi
It is not my first time in the US more like the 6th or 7th, I even have a Gold Wing standing there, just waiting for the next trip. I have done Yellowstone, or arts of it, Crazy Horse, Mounth Rushmore, Devils Tower, deals gap, RT 66, The million dollar highway(What a ride), and a few other places, some with my wife and some alone. What I'am considering now is a round trip but it might get a bit long since I at the most have 23 days to do it on. It is around 6000 miles, and an average of 300 miles a day might be a bit high, atleast it dosen't leave many days to look around in cityes and nice places that will show up.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
SVEIN,
since you've toured here before,i'd suggest places that perhaps you haven't been.
Seattle to Crescent City Ca,VIA the Coast route
Then on to Reno, Lake Tahoe,Nv.
North Rim of Grand Canyon
Monument Valley,Southern Utah.
Then back to Chi. Town
That should pretty much fill 23 days. :D
I'd recommend skipping Los Angeles. Unless you have friends there to show you around,it can be pretty intimidating/confusing.
Enjoy your trip,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Traveling in the US

Superfly said:
Hi
It is not my first time in the US more like the 6th or 7th, I even have a Gold Wing standing there, just waiting for the next trip. I have done Yellowstone, or arts of it, Crazy Horse, Mounth Rushmore, Devils Tower, deals gap, RT 66, The million dollar highway(What a ride), and a few other places, some with my wife and some alone. What I'am considering now is a round trip but it might get a bit long since I at the most have 23 days to do it on. It is around 6000 miles, and an average of 300 miles a day might be a bit high, atleast it dosen't leave many days to look around in cityes and nice places that will show up.
Svein,

IMO, 300 miles per day is just right... it's about 6 hours of riding and 6 hours of sight seeing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Superfly said:
HI
Who many days will be normal for a ride from Chicago - Billings - Seattle - Los Angeles - Rt 66 back to Chicago, riding 2 up and pulling a trailer?
We may be able to answer you better if you tell us why you picked these cities.

What do you hope to see or do while you are here? Do you have friends in these cities or is there something there for you to experience?

What would you like to do while you are here? What kinds of roads do you enjoy -- interstates or smaller highways?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my bike is in McHenry just north of Chicago, Wing Ding will be at Billings next year, I have a uncle in Seattle, and RT66 starts in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
6000 miles = 6 days on an ironbutt schedule. If you want to stop and visit, see the sights, the time will be greatly increased. When I travel by motorcycle I will easily travel 800 to 1200 miles in a day. I have talked to many others who feel that 300 miles is an extreme day. It all depends on what you plan on doing during the trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts