1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
==========================
This dumb a** could have used one.
ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- A man riding bareheaded on one of about 550 motorcycles in an anti-helmet law rally lost control of his cycle, went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and died, police said Sunday. The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said. The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.

Contos was driving a 1983 Harley-Davidson on a helmet protest ride organized by the Onondaga chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, or ABATE, troopers said. The organization states that it encourages the voluntary use of helmets but opposes mandatory helmet laws.

Contos, of Parish, hit his brakes, and his motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars, police said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The statewide president of ABATE, Thomas Alton, said Contos wasn't a member of ABATE but was a motorcyclist with 30 years of experience.
"He was one of the public who wanted to join in support of helmet freedom," Alton said.

Participants in the ride, which the Onondaga chapter has held annually for 11 years on the July 4th weekend, were told it was their choice whether to wear helmets, Alton said, and some wore them while others didn't.
"I don't believe we've ever had a fatality on any group run of any kind," he said.

The ride, on a hot, sunny afternoon, was about 30 miles long from Syracuse to Lake Como near Cortland. No other motorcycles were involved in the accident, Alton said. "An officer of my group said there may have been equipment difficulties for the rider," he said. "Apparently he was riding a motorcycle that wasn't his usual one. Some vehicles have different quirks."

While mandatory helmet laws are a major issue for ABATE, the group also lobbies for numerous other issues, including adding motorcycle awareness to driver's permit exams and fighting motorcycle-only police checkpoints.
"Awareness is our first issue," Alton said. "A large percentage of motorcyclists killed on the highway have been because a car turned left in front of it."

New York is one of 20 states that require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Lobbying by motorcyclist groups has led some states to repeal helmet laws.

A helmet that meets federal standards reduces the wearer's chances of being killed in an accident by more than 40 percent, said safety consultant Jim Hedlund, of the Governors Highway Safety Association. Annual motorcycle fatalities have more than doubled since the late 1990s, peaking in 2008 at 5,312 deaths but dropping to 3,615 last year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says.

Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This is about the third time this has been posted today.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Who needs stinkin' helmets???? Only the guys with heads worth protecting!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I will not put my leg over a bike without a helmet, but, I also don't think the government has a right to tell me I have to. :x

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I will not put my leg over a bike without a helmet, but, I also don't think the government has a right to tell me I have to. :x
At the federal level, at least, you are correct, "I also don't think the government has a right to tell me I have to." The Constitution does in fact forbid the federal government from addressing this issue.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sad that a man had to die. Condolences to his family.

I am the ultimate rebel against the Government, rules, regulations and BS. So I am on the side of freedom of choice.

But my choice is to wear a lid.

The ultimate irony of the situation is this accident will do more to promote the use of a helmet than any other thing that could have occurred.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
1983 HD? I wonder if it even had a front brake. It is hard to make a bike fishtail with one, unless you are REALLY trying.

People die on motorcycles with helmets, it doesn't change the fact that there should not be a law making them mandatory.

People die in cars from internal injuries. Should they be forced to wear a chest protector?

It is WAY to easy to get a motorcycle license. In NY now, no road test is needed. Take a motorcycle course at a driving school and pass a written test and bingo, you too can be blasting down the road at 200MPH. Totally unprepared, but doing it anyway.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sad that a man had to die. Condolences to his family.

I am the ultimate rebel against the Government, rules, regulations and BS. So I am on the side of freedom of choice.

But my choice is to wear a lid.

The ultimate irony of the situation is this accident will do more to promote the use of a helmet than any other thing that could have occurred.[/QUOT

:agree:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Is it just me or are you blaming the senseless death on Harley Davidson motorcycle?

Many [some say most] laws would be unnecessary if people would accept personal responsibility and/or if society did not forgive them and pay for mistakes in judgment.

1983 HD? I wonder if it even had a front brake. It is hard to make a bike fishtail with one, unless you are REALLY trying.

People die on motorcycles with helmets, it doesn't change the fact that there should not be a law making them mandatory.

People die in cars from internal injuries. Should they be forced to wear a chest protector?

It is WAY to easy to get a motorcycle license. In NY now, no road test is needed. Take a motorcycle course at a driving school and pass a written test and bingo, you too can be blasting down the road at 200MPH. Totally unprepared, but doing it anyway.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Is it just me or are you blaming the senseless death on Harley Davidson motorcycle?
No. I am wondering if the news had the facts straight or they were just oblivious. An 83' HD could be a chopper and did not have a front brake.

possible conversation on the scene.

New reporter -Officer, what kind of motorcycle is it?

Officer - It is registered as a 1983 Harley Davidson. Seems the guy built it himself and has won awards for his custom work.

News Reporter - 1983 Harley Davidson. Got it. Officer, is Harley Davidson one word or two?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We live in an age where not taking responsibility is huge. No one wants to take responsibility for what the do or choose not to do. And that includes personal safety. What I don't get is why so many of these people disregard the possible negative effects not wearing a helmet A(or other safety gear) can have on family, friends, etc. I realize they have the right to make their own choices, but...well I guess it goes back to the responsibility thing, or lack thereof.

American Bikers Aiming Toward Education! Yikes! What an oxymoron that is. What kind of education are they aiming toward? Seems most of their events begin and end at a bar--at least in my experience that is the case. And a good part of their efforts seem to be aimed at the anti-helmet things. Someone once said, tongue-in-cheek, that is, that ABATE stands for All Bikers Against Traffic Enforcement. Hmmmm--could be some truth in that one, too. I've never been a part of it and never will.

For me, wearing proper safety gear is only logical--dress for the fall, not the ride. I, personally, don't believe the government should be forcing us to wear what THEY think we should wear, either. But, then, not everyone cares. Oh, and years ago I investigated a fatal motorcycle crash in Alaska. They guy tuned out to be drunk and had no helmet on. He lost control and rode down into a ditch--stuff from the bike was scattered all over the place--then up over a driveway and went airborne. He hit the other side front wheel first and came off the bike, went over the bars and hit his head on a rock. Popped his skull like a walnut and killed him. The accident reconstruction guy determined that the bike was going less than 20 mph at the time!

Helmet--also called a "brain bucket." No brain? No bucket.

·
Registered
559 Posts
At the federal level, at least, you are correct, "I also don't think the government has a right to tell me I have to." The Constitution does in fact forbid the federal government from addressing this issue.
Well, to be technical about it, the Constitution doesn't prohibit it, the Constitution arguably does not grant the federal government the power to pass such a law. (The other side of the argument is that the Commerce Clause does allow it ... or the feds could use extortion, threatening to NOT give highway funds to states that don't pass helmet laws, etc.)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:agree:100%

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Well, to be technical about it, the Constitution doesn't prohibit it, the Constitution arguably does not grant the federal government the power to pass such a law. (The other side of the argument is that the Commerce Clause does allow it ... or the feds could use extortion, threatening to NOT give highway funds to states that don't pass helmet laws, etc.)
The U S Constitution is explicit in it's wording and intent with respect to limitations on the federal government. This Independence Day might be a good time to review it...

Can we agree that our 'ruling class' has misinterpreted the commerce clause and that we [voters] through ignorance on our part have allowed it to get by with doing so?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The U S Constitution is explicit in it's wording and intent with respect to limitations on the federal government. This Independence Day might be a good time to review it...

Can we agree that our 'ruling class' has misinterpreted the commerce clause and that we [voters] through ignorance on our part have allowed it to get by with doing so?
It has nothing to do with the Constitution. It has everything to do with common sense, personal responsibility and the laws of physics.

The brain surgeons at ABATE never use common sense, do not accept the concept of personal responsibility and the laws of physics do not apply to them.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
You guys need to get out and ride......This is the 3rd thread on the general
board about this incident and there are a few more over on the OTE board.

Talk about beating a dead horse.....

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts

This dumb a** could have used one.
When you get splattered by a cage sitting at a red light with your helmet on the post may read, "dumba** should have been in a car."

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
You guys need to get out and ride......This is the 3rd thread on the general
board about this incident and there are a few more over on the OTE board.

Talk about beating a dead horse.....
Are you contributing to this thread while riding a motorcycle? If so, shame on you. :joke:

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Are you contributing to this thread while riding a motorcycle? If so, shame on you. :joke:
I'm planning a ride, does that count.....Leaving in the morning headed
to Florida to view the shuttle launch. The brother and I are making the
trip......And, no, we will not be hauling any fat old ladies on the back.
Taking 2 good looking teen age grand daughters.

Keeping this thread on topic......The helmets were properly fitted and
man did the girls smile while trying them on.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is about the third time this has been posted today.
That is what I get for being where there wuz no Internet. So solly. But...maybe, just maybe, someone after reading will decide to wear a helmet to save his life.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts