GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about those of us who own both a harley and a wing.

Which bike do you prefer for shorter trips or carving up the twisties?

What should I know about the Ultra Classic? (Just bought a 2008 HD FLHTCU 105th Annv)

Is there a harley version of this site?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't own a Harley but am looking really hard at FXDB, Street Bob. My thinking is looking for something lighter for around town and I can do 2 to 300 miles on. Everything from where I live is 50 to 60 miles one way ( Prescott or Flagstaff ) and thought that would fit my needs plus I like the looks, old school. Looks like what I rode in the 60's but I am hoping that it will make a 100 miles without falling apart like in the 60's.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Traded in a '98 ultra classic and now ride an '08 wing.

The harley had the old evo engine which doesn't have the counter-balancers on the crankshaft. Needless to say, it had a nasty vibration at idle but once up to 2k-5k RPM it would settle down. I installed the stage I kit (mostly so that it would sound like a harley should sound). It did get the signature harley potatoe-potatoe loud exhaust note but it also got a boost in "throttle-twist on" performance (probably about the same as you would get from a stock newer twin-cam engine). The only other down side is that with the older evo engine design you could pretty much expect to do a full engine rebuild at 100k (or before). Based on what I've read on this board, I can expect easily twice that much or more out of the wing without any kind of troubles.

Touring on the harley wasn't too bad. It rode comfortably, got good milage (somewhere in the mid 40's), and pulled a trailer two up without any problems. Although, after a 7-9 hour day of the steady engine drone (using earplugs) it did get very tiring. It also had some handlebar buzz that after a long day would wear you out.
The reason for the trade in is that after 9 years I got tired of the excessive exhaust noise and I didn't care one way or the other about the whole harley image thing (which also was a factor in it's initial purchase).

The wing is a whole different animal. As many have posted, it's a sport bike packaged in touring clothing. I'm rediscovering how fun it is in the twisties (something I would never have taken the ultra through). I have not yet take the wing on a long trip but I suspect that it will handle that with flying colors.

All in all, they both have their place on the road but at this time in my life I'd prefer the newer wing over the older harley. For that matter, given the choice I prefer the wing over a newer ultra classic. Just a matter of personal preference...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am curious about those of us who own both a harley and a wing.

Which bike do you prefer for shorter trips or carving up the twisties?

What should I know about the Ultra Classic? (Just bought a 2008 HD FLHTCU 105th Annv)

Is there a harley version of this site?
WOO HOO, how about a pic??? Hmm...
I'd like to get an Ultra some day.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like this site better than Harley Tech Talk, but both are pretty decent sites.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/

I used to have an E-Glide, which was replaced with a highly modified Fatboy - both before I bought my GW. Personally, I don't think there is much comparison between a GW and an E-Glide - handling, power, comfort all strongly favor the Wing (comfort of course IS a subjective thing). My Fatboy will run extremely well against a Wing, only because I put about $4.5k into the motor - also will get about 50+mpg if I ride sanely and smoothly. Can't even get close to that kind of mileage from the Wing.

Yet, there's a big segment of riders that simply won't ride "Jap Crap". They have all sorts of reasons why they prefer an HD, most of which are status and testosterone based. But let's face it, there's no sound in the motorcycle world like a Stage 1 (or better) Harley.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Owned a Heritage once the wing is for me. Ride what makes you happy. Finish on HD is fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ride an 06 Harley Softail Standard around town. I don't have the loud exhaust on it nor do I have to rev it at stop lights. It is a lot of fun one up and short trips. That said I ride an 06 GL1800 with Max's full monty suspension installed when I take trips of more than 2 or 3 hours. The Wing is great on the road but at soon to be a 68 years old man, the Softail is a lot easier to flick around at slow speeds in town. The 450 pounds differance is a factor. I wont get crazy and bash anyones bike. Ride what you want and can afford.

Robby

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I ride an 06 Harley Softail Standard around town. The 450 pounds differance is a factor.

Robby
You must ride one of those rare Softails made out of Balsa wood - stock ones weigh about 650 lbs. :lol:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know -- I gotta say I was worried about needing to put on a flame suit, but all of the responses have been GREAT!

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks for the assistance gang!

Pic as requested -- bike in front. (Not me)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an 06 electra glide classic and a 06 goldwing trike. Short trips and around town I like the harley but for longer trips the wing is the only way to go. The wife rides a 99 heritage softail.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I owned both a soft tail springer and a Gold Wing. I thought the Harley was cool looking, which it was. It just sat there and hardly ever got ridden. The best day was the day I sold it. I have never regretted that day once since.
I am not trying to put your bike down. You asked the question and that is my truthful answer. I know that a Ultra is not a Springer.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I traded my '05 Road King in on an '07 Wing. I also (currently) have an '08 Fat Boy. Never owned an Ultra Classic.

The Wing goes out on the longer trips. Typically, if it's less than 300 miles (one way) then we take the Fat boy.

I'm 5'9" and 200 pounds and the wife is 5'4" about 140 - so the Fat Boy is a lot easier to handle in some situations than the Wing.

We DID have an opportunity to take a 45 minute test drive on an '09 Ultra Classic. They have really changed, and for the better. The wife liked the "reclined" passenger seating on the Wing better than the "straight up" seating on the Ultra..... or me might just as well had the Ultra.

·
Registered
15 Posts
who ownes a Harley and a Wing

try www. hd forum.com and/or www. v-twin forum.com

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a couple of HDs and the wing, an FXD (Super Glide) and a 1200 Sportster. I've done a number of longer trips on the FXD and enjoyed it a lot, finding it quite comfortable for a long day. Its primary limitations are wind protection and soft saddlebags. It never ever lets you forget you are on something very mechanical and somewhat raw and I like that.
The wing is still relatively new to me, feels like the mechanical presence is pushed somewhat into the background but the payoff is smoothness, wind management and quietness along with the other benefits of a full tour bike.
Glad I can have more than one bike.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
But let's face it, there's no sound in the motorcycle world like a Stage 1 (or better) Harley.
Sure there is.

All the music on my iPod, or quiet convesation with my wife on the back.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I have a couple of HDs and the wing, an FXD (Super Glide) and a 1200 Sportster. I've done a number of longer trips on the FXD and enjoyed it a lot, finding it quite comfortable for a long day. Its primary limitations are wind protection and soft saddlebags. It never ever lets you forget you are on something very mechanical and somewhat raw and I like that.
The wing is still relatively new to me, feels like the mechanical presence is pushed somewhat into the background but the payoff is smoothness, wind management and quietness along with the other benefits of a full tour bike.
Glad I can have more than one bike.
I agree. We'll have the Wing just two years in May and approx 30,000 miles. it took a lot of "getting used to".

Still miss my Sportster.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Oh, man! Great color.
I have an 06 electra glide classic and a 06 goldwing trike. Short trips and around town I like the harley but for longer trips the wing is the only way to go. The wife rides a 99 heritage softail.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts