GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with my 2018 'Wing my dealer seems unable to resolve, even after consulting Honda 2 or 3 times. My question is who do I contact at Honda to request a Mfg's Tech come to the dealership & have a look at it?

Tks, TM

·
Registered
157 Posts
Per the manual:

Customer Support

Honda Customer Support
You may contact Honda Customer Service, Motorcycle Division
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200, mailstop: 100-4C-7B
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Telephone: (866) 784-1870.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir. The manual was my 1st thought but it's in the bike that's been at the dealer for 3 weeks . . .THIS time!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Thank you Sir. The manual was my 1st thought but it's in the bike that's been at the dealer for 3 weeks . . .THIS time!
What kind of problem are you having that the dealer and Honda can't resolve?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Popping on decel. They've had the exhaust off at least twice (or they say they have) Might be time to look elsewhere I'd think. Only happens at 1400 rpms. I'm seeing a Lemon Law claim in the near future if I don't get it back soon. I bought it to ride - not for them to tinker with.
Just saying . . .

·
Registered
468 Posts
I didn't know that was a problem, mine does it but not sure what rpm

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
popping in the exhaust is usually caused by a poor seal somewhere on the exhaust and its letting air in. look for bad seal on the exhaust gaskets or a crack in any one of the pipes. happens on race cars all the time

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Popping on decel. They've had the exhaust off at least twice (or they say they have) Might be time to look elsewhere I'd think. Only happens at 1400 rpms. I'm seeing a Lemon Law claim in the near future if I don't get it back soon. I bought it to ride - not for them to tinker with.
Just saying . . .

I would be curious if when you get it back with no fix if you put in an octane booster it would go away...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be curious if when you get it back with no fix if you put in an octane booster it would go away...
It does not. Tried that on my own. Does it in all 4 modes as well . . . all at 1400 rpms. Crank it up cold and it revs to 17-1800 rpms. smooth as glass. but as it warms and the rpms go down around 1400 it starts to sound like microwave popcorn starting to pop. Once it gets below 1400 rpms it sound smooth as glass again. Rev it to 15-1600 and let off and it pops at 1400 rpms. Shift gears at those rpms and if it drops to 1400 rpms it pops/spits.
Maybe a bad 02 sensor sending bad info to the ecu? Maybe an error in the fueling program, etc, etc.
But I'm in it for the long haul & want it running properly. Got 2 attys in my family (son & nephew I put thru law school) so I ain't worried about the cost:wink2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is no problem. The popping is caused by air Injection via PAIR system which is an emission device. Air is injected at the exhaust port to reduce emissions by igniting unburned fuel. When ignited that is what you are hearing. The AFR is monitored by the o2 sensors in the exhaust during closed loop. The PAIR system also operates in closed loop low rpm low load situations. Thank the EPA for your annoyance. Most of the time the popping isn’t heard in a restrictive exhaust.

It does not. Tried that on my own. Does it in all 4 modes as well . . . all at 1400 rpms. Crank it up cold and it revs to 17-1800 rpms. smooth as glass. but as it warms and the rpms go down around 1400 it starts to sound like microwave popcorn starting to pop. Once it gets below 1400 rpms it sound smooth as glass again. Rev it to 15-1600 and let off and it pops at 1400 rpms. Shift gears at those rpms and if it drops to 1400 rpms it pops/spits.
Maybe a bad 02 sensor sending bad info to the ecu? Maybe an error in the fueling program, etc, etc.
But I'm in it for the long haul & want it running properly. Got 2 attys in my family (son & nephew I put thru law school) so I ain't worried about the cost:wink2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There are 3 other '18 models in my regular riding group and none of those pop & spit like this.

So I guess I got lucky and got the one you can hear?:frown2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why don’t you just run the bike for 500 to 1,000 miles and see if gets better. If it is a small exhaust leak, it would probably seal with exhaust soot after awhile.

There are 3 other '18 models in my regular riding group and none of those pop & spit like this.

So I guess I got lucky and got the one you can hear?:frown2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 1st time that's what Honda told them to ask me to do. So I left the next day on it for Bike Week in Daytona, which was about a round trip of 1500 miles for me. Absolutely no change. Dropped it back off at the dealer 2 days after I returned. They've had it again 3 weeks today & not a word.

·
Love The DCT
12,005 Posts
There is no problem. The popping is caused by air Injection via PAIR system which is an emission device. Air is injected at the exhaust port to reduce emissions by igniting unburned fuel. When ignited that is what you are hearing. The AFR is monitored by the o2 sensors in the exhaust during closed loop. The PAIR system also operates in closed loop low rpm low load situations. Thank the EPA for your annoyance. Most of the time the popping isn’t heard in a restrictive exhaust.
If every new wing would pop and spit,wingers would complain about it. I have yet to hear one pop and spit like the OP describes.

:doorag:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Usually popping indicates running rich fuel mixture that’s being ignited after compression cycle. Thus most race cars do it when they go from full throttle to none, the old backfire. If the popping happens as the rpm slowly runs down and it starts, at 1400, timing seems to be acting odd. I’m sure a dyno evaluation should catch something

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Could be a leak in one or both of the PAIR valves or a faulty pair control solenoid valve. Can you tell if it occurs in both left and right exhausts or just one side?

If the dealership can't help you, ask them for the name of their Regional Manager and contact him.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here's the body of an email I got from the dealer earlier today.

Here is a list of everything that we have checked per our own concerns accompanied with Honda recommendations.

(notes are copied and pasted from repair order and we use caps lock so it is easier to read on the repair order)

TECH TESTED THE FOLLOWING:
COMPRESSION TEST ALL CYLINDERS 5% OF EACH OTHER (Honda Spec)
IGNITION COIL TEST ALL 6 COILS ARE IN SPEC
PRESSURE TESTED THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MANIFOLD NO LEAKS
TORQUED EXHAUST BOLTS TO FACTORY SPEC 12NM
TESTED FOR LEAKS AT THE EXHAUST GASKET TO THE HEAD NO LEAKS
TESTED BOTH O2 SENSORS BOTH ARE GOOD
TESTED THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR IN SPEC
INSPECTED THE INTAKE JOINT AND THE THROTTLE BODY IS PROPERLY SEATED AND NO LEAKS
INSPECTED CRANKCASE BREATHER AND ALL VENT LINES ALL ARE IN GOOD CONDITION AND NOT PINCHED OR CLOGGED.
INSPECTED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND BOTH ARE IN GOOD CONDITION
INSPECTED AND REPLACED ALL 6 SPARK PLUGS
INSPECTED THE AIR FILTER AND IT IS CLEAN AND NOT CAUSING A RESTRICTION
FLUSHED THE FUEL OUT OF THE TANK AND PUMP AND REFILLED WITH FRESH FUEL
CONNECTED UNIT TO HONDA DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM TO PREFORM ACTUATOR TESTS AND ALL ACTUATORS AND SENSORS PASSED.
CONNECTED UNIT TO HONDA DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM TO SEE HISTORIC AND OR CURRENT CODES THERE WERE NO CODES STORED OR CURRENT.
CONTACTED HONDA TECHLINE AND REOPENED THE PREVIOUS CASE.
COMPARED TO 3 NEW UNITS AND ALL OF THE 3 NEW UNITS DID THE SAME THING THIS UNIT IS DOING ON COLD STARTS.

Case has been referred to the District Service Manager according to the local Svc Writer. The other 3 guys in my group said they will ride there and demonstrate that theirs DO NOT spit & pop.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
I'll have to pay more attention to see if my bike does this or not. It is very possible that it is normal operation of the PAIR valve igniting the unburned exhaust. Folks who run aftermarket exhausts on some sport bikes will intentionally block off the PAIR valve ports to eliminate decel popping.

If you remember the low speed stumble that the 2012-2017 bikes suffered from, it could very well be that Honda added fuel at low RPMS when cold to eliminate the lean stumble, and the result may be more unburned fuel in the exhaust which is prone to igniting and popping. They did indeed resolve the cold low speed stumble on the new bike, and I'm glad that they did.

One question I have for you, does the bike only do this when cold, or does it do it at operating temps?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The popping is caused by a leak somewhere in the exhast system. Could be at the cylinder head, connection to the muffler to a crack or a small hole.

Can you tell if the popping is on the left or right side? Have Honda replace the exhaust on that side and I'll bet your popping disappears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts