GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, who waves to fellow riders and who will stop if a biker is on the side of the road? In my years of riding, here are some of MY own oberservations. Hard core harley riders, leather, chaps, no windshield,you know the guys who ride pans and knuckle bikes will almost never wave. new roadking and new harley riders will wave as long as their is'nt more than about 3 of them. Ive stopped for a drink when im buy myself and had 2 seperate harley riders stop and make sure im not broke down and i do the same, that the way i think it should be. crotch rocket riders are good for a wave almost all the time as well as wing riders. bwm is about half and half unless im riding my r1200gs. its allways fun to see the change in riders when i switch bikes. as for me a wave at all (unless im going around a corner or shifting) and will stop and offer help. as long as it has 2 wheels, we all need to think of eachother, who knows, its someones dad, mom, brother, sister or spouse.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I always wave and stop if there is a biker in need...I don't care what they ride...just my style...would hope that if I need them they would stop also...lol...including TRIKES...congrats on your new Trike...lol

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I always wave and stop - have since I started riding in 1971.

As to who waves, I actually find that many of the real hard core Harley riders do wave. I think it's because they truly have a love and appreciation for anyone who is into the sport - and they "get it". I find it is the "wannabees" on Harleys who are less likely to wave. Likewise, many "metric cruisers" don't wave. Not sure why.

Almost all sport riders, and almost all Goldwing riders wave. But I must admit to having a great appreciation for Sport/Touring riders. I consider myself more in group, and I think they are the most avid riders and fans of the sport. They wave like they mean it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I nearly always wave. The exception is when you are at or near a rally and frankly there are so many bikes around it gets tedious for us all.

I find that those American Bikers tend to wave much less. I like to think that it isn't so much the attitude, but rather that they are afraid to let go of the handlebars for fear of falling off. With that in mind, I enjoy them Not returning my wave showing a friendly nature!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wave to anyone on two wheels, police and highway patrol as well. Started when I began riding in 1959. Then, with my 48 Harley, it was nice to see another bike.

We always stop if there is a bike stopped unless we are certain they are OK or with others. Can tell you, if you ride long enough you WILL be on the side of the road sometime, and that can be a REALLY LONELY FEELING.

As for others waving, I can tell you on the Harley get a lot more waves from other Harleys, compared to when we are on the GW. About the same for all other bikes. But remember, many of the newer Harley Riders are WANNA BE;s and posers, and it would not do at all for them to wave, might not fit the image.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I wave to everyone - sometimes I miss a wave though but it's rare.

Yesterday on my 63 mile ride to visit my parents, two Harley riders waved and the one on the white 1800 did not wave. That's all I saw (it was dark on the way back).

I haven't noticed any difference by bike brand. Some wave and some don't . What they ride doesn't have anything to do with it from what I've seen.

I usually don't stop at all. I probably would if someone flagged me down.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I always wave, well I'll admit that sometimes while on a freeway I just don't see the other bike going the opposite way until it's too late. Then I wonder if they thought I was just a Wing jerk.LOL
I'll stop for anyone, no matter what they ride.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've always operated under the assumption that if a biker needs assistance, they'll put a helmet by the front tire. Under those circumstances, I'd stop for anyone at anytime. If they're on the side of the road having a cigarette, I'll slow and ask, assuming I see them in time.
My wife went with me today for the longest ride she's ever been on, nearly 200 miles. Along the way we saw a lot of bikes, since we rode the Ortega Hwy. All types of bikes waved back when we waved, all types of bikes didn't wave back, but those are likely the ones that are new enough at riding it wouldn't have been a good idea anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interestingly, some of my Harley riding friends don't always wave or recognize me on the wing.

I wave if I'm paying attention, which sometimes is not the case.

I always stop to offer help.

I carry a hose to transfer fuel, jumper cables, tools and a tow rope as well as a cell phone, just in case all else fails.

I've been riding for over 40 years.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I wave to EVERY biker... expect in times when traffic dictates I don't take my hands off the bars... and I would not pass ANY BIKER that looked like he/she needed help !!

cosmic

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Silverback said:
I've always operated under the assumption that if a biker needs assistance, they'll put a helmet by the front tire.....
I started riding in 1971, and I have never heard of that. You might want to stop for all bikes. If I didn't know that, I'm sure many others don't either.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Haven't noticed a propensity of any TYPE of motorcycle rider NOT to wave....sometimes it just isn't safe to lift a hand.

As far as a rider on the side of the road....there are times when they appear to know what they are doing. Otherwise do stop a check if they are with the bike.....we live where there is lots of space betwen places. Certainly don't want to interrupt a rider on personal business!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll stop for someone along the road, but I don't get the wave at everyone thing. Sometimes I do, most times I don't. When I'm in my pickup I don't wave at every pickup I see, and I certainly don't wave at all bikes when in the cage. Maybe I'm just a grouch!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I will stop for any bike unless they're bikes around it. As for waving try and stop me. If I'm under control on the twisties I really look forward to waving to the american made bikes. I don't know it just gives me satisfaction being able to wave on curves and thinking they can't. Maybe it is in my head, but it makes me chuckle inside. Kinda like my own personal brain fart. Larry

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
We stop if a single bike is stopped to check. Often as we slow down they wave us on since all is OK....

last time I did stop , the female passenger was green in her face. I guess it may have been her first bike ride.

:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
If there is a single bike on the side of the road, I stop, even if I'm in the cage. I wave to all, especially in the twisties. Always wave at "Killboy" at the gap. Makes for a better photo.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Wingriderz said:
Goldwing riders wave.....as they ride by you at the side of the road.
That's because if you're on a Goldwing stopped by the side of the ride of the road, Wing riders passing by must figure you're just refilling your beverage holder, or putting a fresh batch of CD's in your changer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts