GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If , notice i said if. If a motorcycle was on A highway coming out of a town and there was a police car stopped in the turn lane having some one pulled over and the motorcycle observed the move over law then noticed cars bumber to bumber getting on to highway from the exit and decides to slow down because he has no where to go because a car has pulled along side on his left. So he then has a car in front one one his tale and one on the left and one on the right still coming and one behind him on his ass. So the person on the bike is stuck between 5 moving cars and takes his boot, ( A BIG BOOT ) and kicks the door ( TWICE ) of the car to the right that has entered his lane and no where to go.You cant stop , you cant move over, you cant speed up, SSOOOOOOOO ! Who is at fault ? who pays for the damage ? The guy said no need to call the law THOSE DENTS WERE ALREADY THERE !( I mean if )the guy said no need to call the law would you pay for the dents ????

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
NO! As far as I'm concerned, I paid the taxes that gives me the right to use all of my lane and "if" someone crowds me they will pay for it, 'nough said! :twisted: :wink:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I wouldn't pay for the dents regardless of whether or not the guy thought there was any need to call the cops.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I would'nt have kicked! Just jestered that he,she was wrong. Too much Road Rage, these days. 2 wheels verus 4, not good odds.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
you didn't kick him.............he drove into your foot...........

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JustRalph said:
you didn't kick him.............he drove into your foot...........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ha! Reminds me of the time my buddy broke his foot and had a cast. He drove his wife to WallyWorld and waited in his (new) car while she shopped. Some woman parked in the next parking slot, opened her door to get out and put a nice crease in the side of my buddy's new car. He hobbled out to view the damage and she just flippantly walked away. So, like most of us would like to do, he took his crutch and broke it on her hood. Luckily, that's all that ever came of it. He was a hot head, no doubt, but it was funny hearin him tell the story.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I almost did that the other day...but I figured I would lose my balance and fall, enabling the car to run me over even easier...and my boot is way smaller than your's! nope, do not pay...like Ralph said, he/she drove into your foot!!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I got hit by a car when I was riding my CB-750C; totalled my bike and sent me flying.
I was relatively undamaged but the entire right side of the car was trashed. The car was entirely at fault.
The driver and her husband locked themselves in their car while I ranted. I remember kicking in the other side of the car....
The ambulance got there and the driver got me off the hood of the car --- I was jumping up and down on it and screaming.
They gave me a Pepsi and I felt better. Cops got there and chilled things off. The car driver's insurance bought me a new bike and I didn't go to jail for assault or anything.

Moral of the story (stories): the car drivers were wrong. We were wrong.
Two wrongs don't make a right; three lefts make a right.
I don't know what to tell you; maybe you could split the repair with the driver and call it a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Once while at Ft Knox as an MP I was sent to the PX to investigate an accident in the parking lot. Investigation revealed that a guy let his door put quite a ding in a young LT's Porshe and didn't think much about it. The young LT then put a dent in the side of the guy's van with his size 12 Cochran jump boot. I explained to them that I was going to write them both up for destruction of property unless they each took care of their own vehicle. Then I had the side bar with the LT with whom I sympathized and suggested he get his temper in check.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
No excuse to kick in a person's door. Especially when the only thing the other person did was to crowd the motorcycle rider. Now, for example about the people opening car doors and putting a dent into anothers car then that person in retaliation puts a dent in the car door openers car. Well I understand the whole "eye for an eye" thing but it still does not make it right. The correct thing, especially if damage is done, is to take the tag number, VIN number if you can, then call the police. But as to the question exactly as posed, the motorcycle rider should have to pay for all damage done to the car.

If there is any appropriate reaction to the question posed it would be to lay on the horn and to yell / gesture your displeasure with the other person. Beyond that you just have to chalk that up with the risks of riding on the road with idiots. Doesn't make what the person did right, but it doesn't justify damaging another persons property either.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Whip out your pistola out of your shoulder holster and stick it against the drivers side window. That'll move em over......and no dents! 8)

·
Registered
320 Posts
steve s said:
Whip out your pistola out of your shoulder holster and stick it against the drivers side window. That'll move em over......and no dents! 8)
Yea that's a smart thing to do....way to go representing the responsible gun owner and carrier, Steve s. You pull it you better be in the process of pulling the trigger.

I do hope your were kidding or that you don't have a handgun to begin with.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
I would'nt have kicked! Just jestered that he,she was wrong. Too much Road Rage, these days. 2 wheels verus 4, not good odds.
I agree with this. Like everyone, I fantasize about kicking in other peoples doors and such, but reality is that it is just not a good idea. This macho stuff if really getting out of hand. Sounds good on paper, but not so good when you come out on the losing end.

·
Registered
255 Posts
FUSE:

Calling LEO on someone who put a dent in your door in a parking lot does not fly, at least not in my area. They will not come out and write a report. They tell you to take it up with the insurance companies.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've been tempted a couple times and have a big enough boot (size 15) to probably do some damage but never liked the odds. I could lose my balance and go down. The driver could swerve and easily take me down. His ride is probably over a ton and a half while mine is under half a ton. No thanks!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Slinkey said:
FUSE:

Calling LEO on someone who put a dent in your door in a parking lot does not fly, at least not in my area. They will not come out and write a report. They tell you to take it up with the insurance companies.
But if they ignore you then it is a Hit and Run which I believe they would come out. If the person is civil and gives you insurance info and such then yes, don't call the police. But if they just laugh and walk away or something like that, call the police. That is against the law. At least from what I understand.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Many years ago I was sitting in my car while my wife made a quick trip into a store. A lady pulled in next to me and threw her door into my car so hard that it actually rocked my car. She seen me sitting in my car but didn't offer an apology for what had just occured. I waited until she disappeared into the store and reached over and unlatched the passenger side door. I put my size 11 on the inside of the door and with all my might I bounced it off of the side of her car. She had a nice 6 inch crease in her door when she left the parking lot that day. I was driving my old work car so another dent in the door didn't matter. We have an old saying where I work. "PAYBACKS ARE HELL" :lol:

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
My brother and I lifted the back end of a car and skittered it sideways in the space so they couldn't move until he and I left after someone dinged his passenger car door. They hit it hard enough that there was paint transfer from both vehicles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts