GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God willing, my cast comes off tomorrow after being on for 7 weeks. I am hoping I can strengthen my wrist soon enough and well enough to be able to ride to Wings Over the Smokies on the 22nd. I must admit, I am a little intimidated by the Wing, which I was only able to drive for 2 weeks before this happened. I know I just have to get back on and get familiar with it again.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just don't rush it. There will be a WOTS next year and riding there this year before you're ready isn't worth risking further injury. You got out pretty light with just a broken wrist and your confidence on the bike will be even less now. Not trying to be your Dad, that was just my experience after my wreck. It took several months for me to feel 100% with the bike and I'm still (2 yrs later) not 100% physically.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just don't rush it. There will be a WOTS next year and riding there this year before you're ready isn't worth risking further injury. You got out pretty light with just a broken wrist and your confidence on the bike will be even less now. Not trying to be your Dad, that was just my experience after my wreck. It took several months for me to feel 100% with the bike and I'm still (2 yrs later) not 100% physically.
Agreed! Don't rush it, and do a lot of parking lot practice and see how you feel after working at feathering the clutch for an hour or so. Best of luck in your recovery!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Welcome back. Be cautious but not intimidated by your Goldwing. Practice makes perfect as our grandmothers said.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cast came off today and the surgeon poked and prodded the wrist and studied the x-rays and said the breaks had healed well. My wrist was sore and stiff and he said that was to be expected after being bent in one position for nearly 2 months. He didn't feel that I needed any physical therapy and just said to keep flexing the wrist and it should feel fairly good by Saturday. He gave me a brace to wear and even said I could ride the Gold Wing again but did suggest wearing the brace when I do so for a while. Yippie-Skippy!!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The cast came off today and the surgeon poked and prodded the wrist and studied the x-rays and said the breaks had healed well. My wrist was sore and stiff and he said that was to be expected after being bent in one position for nearly 2 months. He didn't feel that I needed any physical therapy and just said to keep flexing the wrist and it should feel fairly good by Saturday. He gave me a brace to wear and even said I could ride the Gold Wing again but did suggest wearing the brace when I do so for a while. Yippie-Skippy!!!!!
Awesome! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Welcome back. Keep it upright, and don't try to fight it if it wants to lie down for a while. Just step off and let it go gently. They don't get hurt very often when they get tired like that. Mine has been on it's side a few times, no damage at all.

=Dave=

·
Registered
333 Posts
wrist

well take it easy with your wrist.while on my trip last year cross country i pulled my back out while pulling the camper trailer to the bike.i did just fine while i was on the bike but as soon as i got off,my back told me different.it took couple of days of riding to come out of it.drive safety and know your limits buddy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts