GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey can u guys help me out got a cb for christmas now need a antenna whos do i buy ???

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Bartman,
I heard that Sierra'a antenna while being just great with the CB and FM does not receive AM. Is this not true any longer? I have heard of several who gave up AM to have this antenna.

B

·
0 Posts
Living in Ohio, I bought my CB from Sierra last spring ('05). I also bought the dedicated antenna from them since I listen to AM radio and their combo does not pick up AM. I think the antenna was Big Bike, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
superjett said:
hey can u guys help me out got a cb for christmas now need a antenna whos do i buy ???
Stu o posted this back in November. I believe (but could be wrong) Arn Butt Bill also has this same tpye of powered AM/FM with the Sierra antenna.

I think this is the way I may go, because I do not want dual antenna's on Old Grey.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
ronbien said:
Bartman,
I heard that Sierra'a antenna while being just great with the CB and FM does not receive AM. Is this not true any longer? I have heard of several who gave up AM to have this antenna.

Mine works just fine on AM/FM and the CB. I had to go test it just now. I usually listen to either XM or the MP3 player. AM works just fine.

Bartman

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
My Sierra sux on FM , is poor on AM and poor on CB.

Other than that, I like it. :shock:

seriously...........CB transmission is poor compared to others who are using the Hondaline antennas. Fortunately I only listen to satellite radio, because it does suck on am and fm.

Sure looks good though !!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
If you just have one antenna versus the dual set up.. it will make your bike lean and wobble if you don't have the ball fix..

cosmic

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
This is the quote from Stu_O I tried to post earlier in this thread, but screwed up because my neighbor called and had her car stuck in the alley, so I had to go dig snow for awhile and hit submit before adding the quote. :oops:

I am looking at this type of setup for the CB I am ordering from HDL during this sale.

Stu_O said:
When I tested this antenna with splitter for Wing World, I thought the performance was okay, but not great. In fact, the measured field strength of the CB was stronger (though highly directional) with the OEM CB antenna, and I lost FM reception in fringe areas. So what I ended up doing was installing the Sierra antenna as a dedicated CB antenna with no splitter and hiding a small amplified am/fm antenna in the trunk. Metra amplified am/fm antenna This gives you really good performance from both radios, and no drilling holes in the left side of the trunk...unless you just like the look of twin antennas. The only problem I have with the Sierra antenna for the Wing is that it's now pre-tuned for lowest SWR on Channel 1. I'd rather be able to tune the SWR myself, so I'd buy Sierra's untuned antenna. Combine that with Sierra's fold-over, and you have a great setup for around $60. Even less expensive, use the antenna with Sierra's QD fitting - total around $30.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts