Votes: 60 73.2%
  • Passenger

Votes: 22 26.8%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No not the old Abbot and Costello routine, I'm talking about riding 2 Up.

My wife hasn't ridden on the back of my bike in over 20 years and then only a couple times. I've carried a few other passengers and I've always gotten on the bike first, stood it upright and then had the passenger climb on.

Got a buddy with a 2013 Harley Ultra, he leaves the bike on the side stand, his wife climbs up onto the passenger seat and then he gets on the bike, stands it upright and away they go.

It works for them so I won't say it's wrong, just different than how I do it. Wondering how Goldwing Riders do it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife, on the Wing, likes to get off after I put it on the kickstand. Never did that before on any bike before. 3 Harleys and 2 Hondas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
My high school sweetheart and best friend of 40+ years is always on first. Then I plug her I-com in and away we go.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Who's on first

The wife and I have been riding Wing's since 1983 and have been to every state on the bike except Alaska and Hawaii. I stand 5'7" with boots on and she is 5'2" and she has always got on first, kick stand down and then I get on. No way could I keep the bike up if she hooked a boot or slipped getting on. I see numerous drivers struggling to hold the bike up with the passenger pulling on him or having trouble getting a leg over the seat. This has worked very well for all these years and it works on our 2016. Every passenger get a briefing about how to get on the bike, what to do while in motion and at stops and when and how to get off.
Do what is right for you!

Billy

·
Registered
322 Posts
In our more advanced years, I leave the bike on the side stand after I get on, then the wife gets on. Dismounting I set it on the stand before she dismounts. In the days of old on other bikes I would stand it up and hold the bike while she climbed on, but those days are over.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Our routine hasn’t changed in 30+ years:

I mount and hold the bike upright. My bride then climbs aboard and gets settled.

When we stop, I hold the bike upright and my bride dismounts first, then it’s my turn.

Yes, the kickstand is down during the mounts/dismounts. Just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts

I mount and hold the bike upright. My bride then climbs aboard and gets settled.

When we stop, I hold the bike upright and my bride dismounts first, then it’s my turn.

This right here!!! My wife doesn't even like setting on the bike while I get gas, so it's always me first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don’t know. I have put 32,000 miles on my last two motorcycles and never had anyone ride on the back of either one. The last time I can remember carrying a passenger was probably around 1989. My current wife (I’ve had two, I think of them as my first wife and my last wife) doesn’t ride and I have no desire to give anyone else a ride.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts

Yep, we've done the same routine for decades.

My wife always asks, "ready?". I reply "ready" and she climbs aboard. When she is comfortably seated she states, "ready" and off we go.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Although she is nolonger riding with me....she got on first. It was easier for her to get on from the drivers pegs then slide back. In the old days we could both just swing a leg over the seat...but those days are long gone..... B.

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Bike on the side stand and she mounts on the driver's pegs then slides back onto the passenger seat then I get on. Started doing it this way with the ST1300 since it was so much taller and she (5'-2") had trouble getting her legs/feet over the side bags. This method ended the struggle and scuffing of the luggage. Have continued this way on the Wing. Makes it effortless and "events" are greatly reduced.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I get on, hold bike upright with front brake clamped. She steps on left passenger board, holds onto my left arm and swings her leg over. Once plugged in she gives the ok and we're off. Dismount is just the opposite. In all cases I get on first, off last. I'm 6' 1", she's 5' 5".

I, nor anyone, sits on the bike with it leaning on the side stand down. I watched a wing go over on the right side TWICE on a trip with another couple. She was sitting on back alone and somehow wiggled around too much. :surprise:

Maybe when we get old and lose our flexibilty the routine will change... :grin2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I'm on first, then she gets on - >95% of the time. I'm the one keeping the bike level and stable as she gets on.

I'll typically get off first, then assist her in dismounting the motorcycle.

The can be certain situations that will reverse the dismount steps, again, because I can hold the bike stable for her to slide out of the seat and onto terra firma.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For the last 35+ years that my wife and I have ridden together I have always gotten on first. I stand the bike up and kinda clamp the bike with my thighs and hold the front brake. My wife then mounts. When stopping I will dismount first and then she gets off.

The exception is 2016. My wife tore her hamstring. She could only sit in the truck for a minute before being in a lot of pain. The car was a little better. She was most comfortable on the wing especially after hose clamping a couple of 2x4s to the left passenger highway peg. for that year she would get on the drivers seat side saddle, move to the passenger seat and then she could swing her good leg over the seat. I would then get on. Dismount in reverse order.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts