GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they made in the u.s.a. ? i want chinese lights,they would be probably be 80 percent less money..any one know of chinese stuff being sold over here ? i gave up an american made products before sam walton figured out it wasnt profitable buying and selling american made products...every once in awhile i try american made,,usually to my dissapointment..yes i know the wing is built here..but it was designed in japan..GIMMEE CHINESE PRODUCTS !!!! NO in not anti american geeeeeez

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I would bet that most of the lights come from Overseas.

Kuryakyn is definitely not producing all their junk in the good old USA.

No (good) competition could be the answer.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Come on...be a patriot......buy American!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would say it's part of the supply and demand game. If almost every household in the USA had a wing, the demand would be high and there would be numerous vendors making a large degree of competition and driving the cost to us down. As it is there are not that many wings so it is not savy business to try and compete for this small piece of pie.

Or it could just be that we are paying large sums of money for these items and why should they reduce the price if they are selling?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Because they are MOTORCYCLE lights thery are a recreational item. Supply and demand is at work here also. If you are willing to do a little design work you can save a ton of money. Mine cost about $20 including the homemade brackets. If I were to cover the holes with the EC protectors they would look like the expensive lights.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
lomax said:
Nice Idea Tater. Tell me where I can pick up a set of lights like that for $20. I think it is finally in my budget range. :D

Cheers.
Marc
Marc,
The lights come from Wally World for around $15. You will need a light relay also from WW for about $3. The brackets can be made from any piece of sheet metal. The brackets attach to existing threaded holes intended for OEM lights. I don't remember if the bolts were existing or I had them. Mine are wired through the relay direct to the battery. The relay is powered from an OEM relay that is powered only when there is oil pressure. The result is that the lights are always on when the engine is running. You can also power the relay through a switch. If you need further details, just ask.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
You might want to check the Lights out these guys have they were $69, I installed a pair on my Bike They are not plug and play but not to bad to install and they work with the High beams on. I have'nt had it out to test but I think they will work great.
http://vpaccessories.com/1800.htm

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lights

thanks for the info and link on the 69.00 light kit,i ordered them just now,the description say's plug and play ?? 65.00 plus shipping is a good deal...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Let me Konw

Old Rider, let me know how the install goes and if plug and play. Will save the link. That is why I love this site!

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I have installed them on My Bike, not really plug and play, but run 1 wire to the Battery and a wire and ground to the acc plug under the left pocket, no big deal I ordered the actual plug from EC. The Lights themselves are easy to install they are held on with a spring that holds them tight to a rubber seal that you install in the cowl. I don't no yet if the spring will keep them from moving a little, it seems to hold them tight to the seal in the cowl and makes it easy to aim the lights you just push on the edge of the light in the direction you want to aim them, They look good and stock no gaps. Just went for a little ride Downtown KC, first time at night with the new lights got them aimed on the garage they worked perfectly and never moved. Nice yellow colored light . I like em!
Hazle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts